ultrasone hfi500 dj1's first impressions
Sep 9, 2004 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

skyskraper

Headphoneus Supremus
i thought id put what id written in a new thread for people to check out and add to. so here goes.

***disclaimer*** i am no audiphile, nor do i claim to be one. i am a dj who produces also. my experience is quite limited and obviously what i hear in something will be very different to what an audiophile or enthusiast hears

lets start with a few pics....

cans01.JPG

cans02.JPG

cans03.JPG

cans04.JPG

cans05.JPG

cans06.JPG

i cant really listen to them atm but initial impressions are:

great width to the sound. is this due to their alternative positioning of the speakers. but is this over exagerating the original mixdown in its reproduction?

very clear. at least next to the rpdj1200's. the high's are quite solid and the bass keeps up with everything else in a very admirable fashion. seems to be a decently flat reproduction from them. my friend doesnt like his coz they didnt have enough bass. sounds like they might be quite flat after all
wink.gif

hard to distort. i pushed them to the max output on my mackie mixer and my ears were hurting but the sound was not distorting. same on the vestax mixer. my ipod doesnt give enough power to even get them LOUD loud, but i expect with a mint/cmoy running from my ipod they won't distort either.

very comfortable. i like the way they surround my ears. like my recoton airplane headphones (thank you singapore airlines first class
wink.gif
) theyre large in size (v700 size) but arent heavy. lots of extension to the band also. can't even feel any difference glasses or no glasses.

so now time to burn them in and see how they perform....

ok i found these a bit awkward to mix with intially due to the width of the image. however after a while i started to get used to them and a clarity existed in my monitoring that wasnt their before. my housemate doesnt like them because they surround his ears, and he claims to have small ears and needs to have headphones that have smaller pads and cups. he thinks that the speaker part are too far from his ears and he doesnt feel comfortable monitoring mixes like that. i have assured him an adjustment period exists and he will like them too.

my buyers remorse existed only until i started to adjust to them.... i am a very happy camper so far.

ok well some further mixing and listening. pink floyds dark side of the moon on 12", through my 1200's and then vestax mixer (1620/cmoy combo is offline atm) sounded amazing and even more trippy through these cans. very clear compared to what i am used to.

one thing i have to comment on that is neither positive nor negative is the fact that they require a LOT more power to drive then the cans im used to. the technics rpdj's id leave at 10-11 o'clock on my vestax and mackie. these i have to run up near 2-3 o clock.

well after a day or so of using them to work on tracks. listen to music (old rock as well as dance). and general tooling around, i am very pleased with them. they are VERY revealing especially displaying the inadequacies in the sources ive used to date. they do need a lot of power to drive them. so im going to build a couple of opa2227 powered cmoys (one for dj'ing and one for the ipod) to give them a little kick and hopefully get a bit more from them. theyre presently hooked up to the ipod playing white noise on a loop to get more burnt in. i'm not too sure about them for single ear monitoring whilst dj'ing. will have to spend more time getting used to them. but for dual ear monitoring they're a joy. very clear and makes mixing a little bit easier when you can hear what you couldnt before in the mix.....

tomorrow i am going to headphonic in perth to get some buds for my ipod so will also test out the trackmasters whilst im down there to see how they differ.

Sep 10, 2004 at 6:26 AM Post #3 of 5
i had a read of ur review and agree on the chafing thing. its the only discomfort with the cans. but even then it does better then the 280's and rpdj's on my ears for long periods of time.

Sep 10, 2004 at 12:38 PM Post #5 of 5
hehe thanks. we have four of them here. with various led's in the lights
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back