Ultrasone HFI-650 review
Jan 6, 2003 at 1:15 AM Post #18 of 31
Thanks for weighing them in! The webpage and specs on both Jan and Ultrasone's webpage all indicate 350g without cable which seems to be an error otherwise I would have figured more comments on its weight while being worn.

Unfortunately the specs of my Beyers weight without cable seem accurate as I consider them annoyingly heavy.

Jan 6, 2003 at 7:56 AM Post #20 of 31
Great review of these cans mtillman. I especially liked how well you say they stack up against the Senn 600s. Many here will want to check these out now that we know how they stack up. Maybe it's time that Senn released something like an HD700 or something. At least the model number would be higher that the Ultrasone.
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2003 at 9:21 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by mtillman
Yes, from a distance. Judging from the pics in kelly's review, the headbands share the same ideas, but differ on close inspection quite markedly.

BTW, that mask of yours is EXACTLY what I was alluding to when using D66s in public. Glad to see you took the hint
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Lou! Lou!
He be dissin' YOUR phones!!!!

Quote:

Originally posted by mtillman
Yeah, I wondered what you might make of that
biggrin.gif

It gets more intruiging every day, it seems.

I'm a bit disapointed your HT5s, or whatever the number is, might not make it to the meet, though.

Oh don't worry, there'll be others to keep you occupied.

Jan 6, 2003 at 4:14 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
I noticed posts about the similarity between the HD280 and the ultrasones...
Do they look like <------------- ?

Actually the Ultrasones look exactly like the IXOS MOS DJ1002 and DJ1003, aside from color scheme.

They are, however, completely different on the inside.

Jan 6, 2003 at 10:10 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by fierce_freak
Actually the Ultrasones look exactly like the IXOS MOS DJ1002 and DJ1003, aside from color scheme.

They are, however, completely different on the inside.

That's very useful and important information. I certainly took a look at the IXOS and thought they appeared to be a rebadged, and range extended, version of the HFI-650, and considered buying them due to UK availability. What stopped was the total uncoolness of owning anything from the Ministry of Sound! Phew!

May I ask how you know they just look the same and don't sound the same?

Jan 6, 2003 at 10:34 PM Post #24 of 31
OK flasken, especially for you...

I find the soundstage of the HD600s and HFI-650 very similar. Depth I would say is the same, width - well, maybe, just maybe, the 650s are a teeny tad wider, and also just maybe another teeny tad more positionally defined.

And to continue in a different vein - JEEZ man, is this what you call visceral bass??? Instead of a va

Jan 6, 2003 at 10:40 PM Post #25 of 31
They have different impedance ratings. Also, kelly contacted an Ultrasone representative about it and the rep said they were not the same.

If I'm wrong kelly, please feel free to correct me
wink.gif

<edit>

I dug up the quote:

kelly said "Also according to Ms. Albright, there is no existing relationship between Ultrasone and Sennheiser. Likewise, she says the visual similarity of the headphone to the Ministry of Sound IOXS DJ1002 is a visual one only and that the two products are in no way related."

</edit>

Jan 6, 2003 at 10:40 PM Post #26 of 31
OK flasken, especially for you...

I find the soundstage of the HD600s and HFI-650 very similar. Depth I would say is the same, width - well, maybe, just maybe, the 650s are a teeny tad wider, and also just maybe another teeny tad more positionally defined.

And to continue in a different vein - JEEZ man, is this what you call visceral bass??? Instead of a vague 'woof' (the 600) I'm now hearing, and feeling, real low frequencies (the 650) - from bass guitars, double basses and bass drums - man I FEEL the pedal thumping the skin. WOW! They're really there now, no... they're HERE!!

OK, I'm sounding too gushing now, but honestly, I swap over to the HD600s, note the difference, and can't get them off quick enough. Oh, but the comfort of the 600s. I've just developed a seriously bad toothache, and that together with the pressure on the top of my head from the 650s headband is making for a rather unpleasant experience -oh, but the music, the music
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

One thing to bare in mind though, is that I'm using a SlimX and super-mini amp. Perhaps the 650s are so much easier to drive - perhaps the 600s with top end sources is really better. Who knows.

Jan 6, 2003 at 11:07 PM Post #27 of 31
Would you recommend ATH-A900's over these phones? Because I'm looking for something that could be used portably, but that almost comes at a side note. The HFI-650 seems like a really nice (nice looking as well
smily_headphones1.gif
) portable phone. But does it compete sonicaly to the A900's? I really can take almost any phone on a portable journey. I may look like an idiot, but I have the bags for it, and I don't mind carrying it around. I'm trying to take into consideration the $150 price tag versus the $200 tag (A900). Do you guys have a good say in this matter?

Jan 6, 2003 at 11:18 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by valthainos
Would you recommend ATH-A900's over these phones? Because I'm looking for something that could be used portably, but that almost comes at a side note. The HFI-650 seems like a really nice (nice looking as well
smily_headphones1.gif
) portable phone. But does it compete sonicaly to the A900's? I really can take almost any phone on a portable journey. I may look like an idiot, but I have the bags for it, and I don't mind carrying it around. I'm trying to take into consideration the $150 price tag versus the $200 tag (A900). Do you guys have a good say in this matter?

For that my friend, you'll have to wait until the first few weeks of February...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back