ultrasone edition 9 vs edition 8
Sep 4, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #16 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think there is a pair of re-cabled Edition9 in the For Sale Forum today.
Glad to hear all the positive reviews of Edition8. I want them....

ahh ok I thought there might be 1 or 2 in the FS.

Yeah they are def amazing cans, they are my first 1000+ so... I am still waiting for them to burn in an me put in enough hours on them so I can form a full and unbiased opinion but everything so far is amazing. You should try to get your hands on a pair.

Sep 4, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #17 of 103
Perhaps I could share some comments when I get the Ed8 mid next week.
biggrin.gif

I've owned the Ed9 for just about 2 years now, and while I do like their sound, I found the insides of the cups resting on the tops of my ears gets irritating too quickly. And this is with the "cable mod" ... anyway I'm just waiting for payment to clear, and I'm sending them off.

I'm hoping the Ed8 will be a bit more neutral while delivering even better detail with a faster transient response. My ears should be small enough to fit, and the cups appear to have deeper ear cups than the 9's. So I'm optimistic.

We shall see.

Sep 4, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #18 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps I could share some comments when I get the Ed8 mid next week.
biggrin.gif

I've owned the Ed9 for just about 2 years now, and while I do like their sound, I found the insides of the cups resting on the tops of my ears gets irritating too quickly. And this is with the "cable mod" ... anyway I'm just waiting for payment to clear, and I'm sending them off.

I'm hoping the Ed8 will be a bit more neutral while delivering even better detail with a faster transient response. My ears should be small enough to fit, and the cups appear to have deeper ear cups than the 9's. So I'm optimistic.

We shall see.

Let us know what you think about them. Enjoy!

Paul

Sep 5, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #19 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by illy2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like the Ultrasone sound and these are something you consider not just sitting in your room at night listening to the ED8's have my vote. I just got them about 2 weeks ago myself and I have been enjoying audio bliss. There are very few cans at the upper end which are kind of do-it-all cans. The ED8's have isolation, amazing clarity and detail, and can be transported. I would check em out. There isn't too much in that range that could be driven out of portables and still sound great, the ED8's still sound great out of my ipod nano unamped.

That being said I have never heard the ED9's. Can you even find them anymore new? I checked ebay and there was only 1 for ~2k

There isn't a whole lot you can go wrong with between the 2. Also have you thought about perhaps sinking money into both new cans and an amp/dac or something and start getting the whole system rocking?

i'm gonna buy the amp3 at the end so i don't really need an amp for headphones as i heard the amp3 can drive almost anything, btw can the amp3 drive the akg k701?

and for what i have heard the edition 9 has a bass issue, they say there is to much of it is it true?
and ed 8 sounds different from all the other ultrasone's?

Sep 6, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #21 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by fp581 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm gonna buy the amp3 at the end so i don't really need an amp for headphones as i heard the amp3 can drive almost anything, btw can the amp3 drive the akg k701?

and for what i have heard the edition 9 has a bass issue, they say there is to much of it is it true?

as I have said my ED8's are the first ultrasone's I have gone with so I cannot say if the ED9's suffered from too much bass.

Mainly I went with the ED8's because they were closed, and I can tell you they don't suffer from too much bass. I found D5000's to have too much bass. I love the bass guitar and I can hear them plucking away on almost all tracks I listen to on my ed8's that is a detail I couldn't truly get on the 650's. Also the bass is present and stands out but doesn't overwhelm the details like I felt the d5000's did.

Even If the ED8's have a diff sound sig from regular ultrasone's I wouldn't honestly be worried about it. They have such a crisp transparency and overall solid sound signature, I don't think you could go wrong.

Sep 6, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #22 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by fp581 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You are buying AMP3? A few people will get theirs before the end of month. We'll see others agree or differ. Wait, please wait for other reviews.

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #25 of 103
very soon now. I have been promissed a sample for the Danish meet October 3rd and they said that they expect to ship it to me on or shortly after September 11th.

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #26 of 103
I've been enjoying the Edition 8 for a few hours here at work so far... I'm liking it! I'll take some more time before elaborating, though.

They're certainly more comfortable...

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #27 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been enjoying the Edition 8 for a few hours here at work so far... I'm liking it! I'll take some more time before elaborating, though.

They're certainly more comfortable...

Good to hear man I am enjoying mine right now too. I have about 2.5 weeks on mine and def impressed. Lemme know how you like them in the long term I am holding out after my initial impressions and going to write up a nice review in about a months time.

beerchug.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #28 of 103
My Ed8's are now in the hands of Danish customs so with luck I'll have them sometime next week

Sep 10, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #29 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Ed8's are now in the hands of Danish customs so with luck I'll have them sometime next week

very nice! Which cable do you have on them? the APS? I just wish that all headphone manufacturer's used removable cables like Sennheiser it would make for an awesome cable "rolling" experience. You have to give me your impressions on how they sound with and aftermarket cable I might just splurge and have the cable changed by Drew or Ken.

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #30 of 103
Oh man am I feeling lucky. I've got the ed8 and ed9 running simultaneously, volume matched in front of me. (And the house all to myself.)

So far, my feeling is that the ed9 has more presence through the bass frequencies. Perhaps a bit more punch. It... seems like there's a warm blanket over the entire spectrum... I'm not sure how to better describe it. Details do seem a bit smeared. All the bass through the 9's seems more fatiguing than the 8's to me right now. I feel like the ed9 is better suited for rockers who want their tunage slamming.

The ed8, by contrast, remind me much more of my JH13's than the 9's. They are more polite and balanced. The transients are noticeably improved. I can hear great detail in the recording with these; edges are very well-defined. They certainly do have nice bass and I agree that they have a bit of a bump down there somewhere. But it's just the lower bass. (The 9's seem to have a bunch more bass going on overall.)

But in case anyone in this thread is interested, these headphones still take a back seat to my JH13. I feel they simply do everything better than either of these headphones, and not by a small margin.

Though the fit isn't quite perfect to me, it's a great improvement over the 9's. (I'd hoped that the insides of the cups wouldn't touch the ears at all, but they do slightly.) This time on the bottoms of the ears vs the 9's touching the tops! Oh well... I am being really picky here, though. The comfort is quite good.

And the 8's are lighter! I didn't feel like the weight of the 9's really bothered me much, but the loss in mass is appreciated!

But yes... I think I'm preferring the ed8 sound signature like I thought I would. Comfort is the icing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back