Ultrasone Edition 8 Review and Discussion
Feb 8, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #16 of 23

Quote:
Hey MacedonianHero, nice to have someone share the joy of the Edition 8s with me and thanks for reading! What do you use the Ultrasones for and how do you drive it?

LoL...not to seem mean, but my wife's parents are from out-of-province (Winnipeg, Manitoba) and they visit quite often: 3-4 times a year for a week or two at a time to see us and the grand-kids...so I need really good sounding/isolating headphones.
wink_face.gif

They leak almost nothing and man, they isolate almost as well as my Shure SE535 IEMs. Through in the sound quality and I was sold.

Of the amps I have, I really like my transformer coupled MAD Ear+HD tube amp with them the most. My Concerto is also very nice, but the highs can be slightly over emphasized....that and I'm really a tube guy. For portable use, my iBasso D4 Mamba is really good too.

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #18 of 23
I always enjoy ny Ed8 a lot whenever it's on my head - a true state of art both in sound and in aesthetical aspects.

And.........I am NOT a devoted Ultrasone fans. I am not too fond of any other ultrasone products, including other Edition cans. But for the Ed8, everything just click into place. Simply the best. I'm not a bass person (80% of the music I listen daily is classical orchestral stuff) but I enjoy it's really deep, a tiny bit emphasized but definitely not overpowering bass. I like my bass to be little bit impactful yet VERY well-defined, and these the Ed8 delivers handsomely. The mids is as natural as you can get from a close can (no honkiness at all, which is pretty common among closed cans, even the expensive ones), and the highs are beautifully and endlessly extended,

For those who had auditioned the Ed8 but didn't quite get the sound I described, try it again and shift its position around - this is THE most position-sensitive can I have ever tried on and it is at first a pain in the aXX to get it in the right position for the S-logic (and the sound in general) to work. And after you hit the sweet spot, you're in paradise.

Mine is the limited edition - No matter how much I like the luxurious case, I always wants to get that goatskin bag that comes with the other 2 versions. Makes much more sense in terms of portability.

May 28, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #20 of 23
I just tried some utrasone ED 8's in Mingo in HK listening to Melody Gardot. I was blown away with the clarity and the crystal clear sounds of worrisome heart. I could almost hear her lips parting readying for her  next wave of lyrics. She was right infront of me.Singing to me!
I then listened to Beethoven's piano concerto( 5 in E-flat major, Op. 73 ).) Magnificent!

Alas they had only the demo pair and only had the Limited edition ones that cost a whopping 2G's US.

I was testing them out my newly aquired Colorfly C4. My son kept hankering me to leave so I had to put then down. I left bitterly like a deflated balloon, regetting they didnt have the more affordable ones.
I am looking for a pair if anyone has a set for sale?

I also tried the HD 800 and they were blissful too but not really for portable use as the ED 8's. Also the HD800 did have a wider soundstage but Melody seemed further away if that makes sense?

Mayajoe

May 28, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #21 of 23
You know when you want/need something so bad, that when you blink you happen to see it out in front of you, beckoning you and tempting you like a beautiful siren, its deadly song teasing you to come nearer and as you do is SUCKS YOU INTO ITS DEPTHS FROM WHICH THERE ARE NO RETURN?

yea...that happens to me every few minutes as i think about the Eddy 8, I want it so bad.  SO BAD :[   I need help, i know :)

May 28, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #22 of 23
I like mine so much I'm starting to try and convince myself I NEED a pair of Limited Edition Ed8s~ 
biggrin.gif

I've never listened to my music collection as much as since I've gotten the Ed8s... EVERY SINGLE MOMENT I can... I'm probably gonna go deaf sooner than expected!

The only up/downside is that the sealing's so good I can't hear the missus screaming for me to help with the baby... I don't dare leave the Ed8 at home alone with her. It might go missing for unknown reasons >..<

Users who are viewing this thread

Back