Ultrasone Edition 8 "Limited Edition"
Oct 15, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #121 of 461

Quote:
Here's a description of the Ed8LE from the Ultrasone US shop (haphazard spelling theirs):

So I can well imagine that the "foggy glow" that MuppetFace described is down to all those extra layers of clear-coat (not found on the other Ed8s?).

The clear coating in only on the wooden inlay. It gives it a really nice almost glass-like finish. The ruthenium on the other hand almost looks like it was buffed to get that velvety look. I'm pretty sure there isn't any extra coating on the ruthenium compared to the other Ed. 8s though.

Oct 15, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #122 of 461

Quote:

The clear coating in only on the wooden inlay. It gives it a really nice almost glass-like finish. The ruthenium on the other hand almost looks like it was buffed to get that velvety look. I'm pretty sure there isn't any extra coating on the ruthenium compared to the other Ed. 8s though.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up. Choosing between the LE and Palladium is not gonna be easy...

Oct 27, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #125 of 461
I just ordered my pair yesterday and they should hopefully arrive tomorrow (I'm looking at you FedEx
ph34r.gif
). I recently sold off my Denon D7000s to help "subsidize" the Edition 8s mainly because as closed headphones, the D7000s isolate as well as open headphones (and leak sound too). The Denons are incredibly comfortable with sub-woofer like bass, but I get better/truer bass from my LCD-2s, so with similar noise isolation/leaking properties, there is no real reason to own both.

They look incredible and the new storage case is the best I've seen. I'm also heartened to hear that they are also a sonic improvement over my now sold D7000s (but for more than 2x the price, I would hope so).

Oct 27, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #126 of 461
I will be looking forward to your impressions on them as they could be the perfect upgrade for my pro900's. 

Quote:

They look incredible and the new storage case is the best I've seen. I'm also heartened to hear that they are also a sonic improvement over my now sold D7000s (but for more than 2x the price, I would hope so).

Oct 27, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #127 of 461
I find the LCD-2/ED 8 complementing eachother superbly. DX 1000 got back in the picture again with the Ref9 though. It´s like a Venom suite it conspires against me when I want to get rid of it to ease my wallet
frown.gif

Oct 27, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #129 of 461
Indeed - the LCD-2 and Ed 8 are a great pairing.

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #130 of 461
Mine just arrived! Hats off to FedEx for overnight delivery from Knoxville, TN to Toronto!

Right off the bat...I'm thinking wow...what bling bling. As nice as the Rutheniums looked...these are outstanding. I love the leather box (best storage box yet (compared to HD800, T1, D7000, LCD-2 storage boxes).

Just gave them a quick listen as I'm working right now and they maintain that fabulous D7000 subwoofer-like deep bass (a very good thing). And from what I remember when I last heard the standard Ed. 8s, the noise isolation is simply outstanding. Better than my previous favourite SRH840s/DT770s in that regard.

Also, very light and quite comfortable.

Can't wait to give them a run after work!

Oct 28, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #131 of 461

Quote:
Mine just arrived! Hats off to FedEx for overnight delivery from Knoxville, TN to Toronto!

Right off the bat...I'm thinking wow...what bling bling. As nice as the Rutheniums looked...these are outstanding. I love the leather box (best storage box yet (compared to HD800, T1, D7000, LCD-2 storage boxes).

Just gave them a quick listen as I'm working right now and they maintain that fabulous D7000 subwoofer-like deep bass (a very good thing). And from what I remember when I last heard the standard Ed. 8s, the noise isolation is simply outstanding. Better than my previous favourite SRH840s/DT770s in that regard.

Also, very light and quite comfortable.

Can't wait to give them a run after work!

Congrats! Do let us know how they perform against your other high end phones.
Cheers!

Oct 28, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #132 of 461
So I've had the better part of my afternoon at work and a little break tonight after dinner with the Ed. 8s and so far I am very happy with my purchase. Although the price is a bit nuts, they are excellent sonically. They retain the subwoofer like bass presence/impact of the D7000s, though it seems more controlled on the Ed. 8s. The mids seem more forward (early on though) and the treble goes up pretty well (though I think I prefer the D7000s' treble presentation a bit more at this time). The sound stage for a closed headphone is pretty remarkable and better than most closed headphones I've tried/owned.

Isolation wise they do isolate better than any closed can I've heard (and the leakage is minimal). So far, it's worked out, I've purchased a closed headphone that isolates very well (and leaks very little) and sonically a nice bump up in improvement over the D7000s (isolation/leakage wise a HUGE improvement over the Denons).

The construction of the Limited Edition is simply breath taking (including the leather box)....it is the best looking headphone (or bling bling) I've owned to date. It's the Bugati of the headphone world...no doubt.
biggrin.gif

Comfortwise, they are very light with a medium clamp (not bad at all with my large melon) and sit nicely on my head with no issues whatsoever. The Denons were still more comfortable though (one of the three best headphones IMO for comfort).

Tried it with both my Concerto and MAD tube amp and both sound really good, though I'm preferring my MAD tube amp (you called this one Rob
wink.gif
).  I preferred the D7000s by a good margin with my Concerto as stark contrast.

More to come later this weekend!

Oct 28, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #134 of 461

Quote:
So I've had the better part of my afternoon at work and a little break tonight after dinner with the Ed. 8s and so far I am very happy with my purchase. Although the price is a bit nuts, they are excellent sonically. They retain the subwoofer like bass presence/impact of the D7000s, though it seems more controlled on the Ed. 8s. The mids seem more forward (early on though) and the treble goes up pretty well (though I think I prefer the D7000s' treble presentation a bit more at this time). The sound stage for a closed headphone is pretty remarkable and better than most closed headphones I've tried/owned.

Isolation wise they do isolate better than any closed can I've heard (and the leakage is minimal). So far, it's worked out, I've purchased a closed headphone that isolates very well (and leaks very little) and sonically a nice bump up in improvement over the D7000s (isolation/leakage wise a HUGE improvement over the Denons).

The construction of the Limited Edition is simply breath taking (including the leather box)....it is the best looking headphone (or bling bling) I've owned to date. It's the Bugati of the headphone world...no doubt.
biggrin.gif

Comfortwise, they are very light with a medium clamp (not bad at all with my large melon) and sit nicely on my head with no issues whatsoever. The Denons were still more comfortable though (one of the three best headphones IMO for comfort).

Tried it with both my Concerto and MAD tube amp and both sound really good, though I'm preferring my MAD tube amp (you called this one Rob
wink.gif
).  I preferred the D7000s by a good margin with my Concerto as stark contrast.

More to come later this weekend!

LOL I guess you took tomorrow off Peter.

Oct 28, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #135 of 461
glad to hear they are keepers right out of the box, peter.
the good news:  they just keep getting better.  (whether that's psychological burn-in or mechanical burn-in).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back