Ultrasone Edition 8 - ALO Chain Mail cable
Apr 1, 2010 at 7:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30
Introducing the new ALO "Chain Mail" Cable;

Specifications:
  1. FEP Teflon jacket, high luster, strong and heat resistant, superior dielectric properties
  1. OCC 99.99998% pure copper Mono Crystal
  1. 8 wire hand weaved, each conductor is slightly larger than 22awg, each 6 foot cable uses slightly over 48 feet of wire.
  1. Wire cryogenically treated at CryoFreeze

The new cable "feels" wonderful, is soft and pliable, lays well and is not at all heavy. The FEP Teflon jacket is solid, not inexpensive nor quick or easy to build but for the discerning customer there is no alternative. Sound wise it is fantastic, yet still being light and unobtrusive and "portable". It is easily the most attractive headphone cable I have seen and photos do not do it justice. The midrange to low end was lush and wonderful, everything was much more refined and airy with less graininess. I also noticed a much better decay in the notes which seem to hang in the air longer.

E8_ChainMail.jpg

E8_ChainMail_sm.jpg

E8_ChainMail_sm1.jpg

E8_symmetry.jpg

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Apr 2, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #3 of 30
In what way are that cable portable? It uses the thicker phono connector and the cable is 6 feet? Isn´t all cables portable then
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In what way are that cable portable? It uses the thicker phono connector and the cable is 6 feet? Isn´t all cables portable then
smily_headphones1.gif

The 18awg cable is much larger, harder to coil, much so that it is unwieldy and not able to stuff all that well in a back pack. I was not referring to the 1/4 plug not the length, rather the compactness of the cable, how its coils, its girth etc.. I can easily terminate this cable with a mini plug or make it 3, 4.4 feet or what ever. I guess one could argue that the larger 18awg cables I make are still "portable", heh people call the LISA III portable so yeah I guess your right there.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Apr 2, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 30
Love the look of that cable. Can we get that design on other cans or in a balanced config?

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Love the look of that cable. Can we get that design on other cans or in a balanced config?

Hey KingStyles,

Yes on the balanced, the headphone install is not always a definite yes however.

Ken

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 30
Hi Ken:

Looks very impressive! I have 2 questions - first, when will pricing be set? Can't find this on your website. Also, is it possible to get the jacket in black, for those of us that don't love the look of copper?
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Apr 3, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Ken:

Looks very impressive! I have 2 questions - first, when will pricing be set? Can't find this on your website. Also, is it possible to get the jacket in black, for those of us that don't love the look of copper?
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Hey Skylab.

If the customer buys a new E8 from me I would be adding $295 on top of the cost of the headphone for now for the install of the CM cable. A retro fit cable on to the customers headphone would be a case by case situation and would vary on the headphone that I would have to work with.

Sorry the clear jacket type was all I had made. This stuff is wicked expensive and the copper OCC is only made in 3 places in the world. I could only muster on shipment and only one wire type.

Do you have a Edition 9? I can send you this one to try out if you would like A/B. I would only be able to part with her for a week or so our I might get some attachment angst, its my best phone.

Ken

Apr 3, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #9 of 30
Thanks Ken for the info, and also for the offer, but I do not have an Edition 9, just the Edition 8. Is that what you meant? If you meant Ed 8, I would be honored to compare my stock one to your recabled one.

I am leaning toward recabling my Ed 8 - mostly because the stock cable is too short, but it's also kinda flimsy...

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #10 of 30
Ken, I am a sucker for good looks and the "chain Mail Cable" is one of the most beautiful cable I have seen. The weave is very aesthetically and architecturally pleasing. How did you come up with that designs? Were you forced to do needle work when you were young? :wink:

Beauty aside, I personally love pure OCC copper over silver or silver plated copper even though I do have your SXC lod. I do have some questions for you with regard to its SQ.

1. Is the "Chain Mail Cable" a solid core conductor or multi core conductor like the one you use in your triple pipe cable?

2. If it is solid core, why don't you use multi core as you indicate in an e-mail to me that the new thinking is that multi core is better?

3. In the very bottom picture that you posted above, why is the color changes from copper to silver in the chain mail cable? Is it an optical illusion?

4. Can you help me to understand the science behind what is the advantage of having more conductors over less conductors beside have the minimal conductors for each channel or phase? My thinking is that could having more conductors potentially cause signal transmission to be asynchronious?

5. Has this cable been compared to your other cable like the triple pipe or the one you use for the HD800? and what are the differences? and has there been any feedback from anyone on the forum who have used it?

I like the look and the spec of it and I want more info on it. Can you direct me to more inhfo? By the way, do you carry the Palladiuim verson? Thanks for the good work and your constantly innovating spirit.

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ken, I am a sucker for good looks and the "chain Mail Cable" is one of the most beautiful cable I have seen. The weave is very aesthetically and architecturally pleasing. How did you come up with that designs?

The design is nothing new really, its a flat weave and I have been doing this weave for many years. The wire is new however for me and is perfect for this application. Quote:

Were you forced to do needle work when you were young? :wink:

Beauty aside, I personally love pure OCC copper over silver or silver plated copper even though I do have your SXC lod. I do have some questions for you with regard to its SQ.

1. Is the "Chain Mail Cable" a solid core conductor or multi core conductor like the one you use in your triple pipe cable?

It is a stranded wire, not solid core.

Quote:

2. If it is solid core, why don't you use multi core as you indicate in an e-mail to me that the new thinking is that multi core is better?

Yes it is stranded

Quote:

3. In the very bottom picture that you posted above, why is the color changes from copper to silver in the chain mail cable? Is it an optical illusion?

Photoshop, I am calling attention to the "Y" split buy using black and white for everything except the Y split. This split is important for the symmetry of the signals as well as mechanical.

Quote:

4. Can you help me to understand the science behind what is the advantage of having more conductors over less conductors beside have the minimal conductors for each channel or phase? My thinking is that could having more conductors potentially cause signal transmission to be asynchronious?

I do not want to get into theory here really. All I can say is that the CM cable is clearly an improvement over the stock and many other headphone cable types.

Quote:

5. Has this cable been compared to your other cable like the triple pipe or the one you use for the HD800? and what are the differences? and has there been any feedback from anyone on the forum who have used it?

The larger gauge wire is also great however the larger HD800 cable is larger and weighs more and this is objectionable by some and not really something you can use as a portable. I only have a few out to customers so no reviews yet.

Quote:

I like the look and the spec of it and I want more info on it. Can you direct me to more inhfo? By the way, do you carry the Palladiuim verson? Thanks for the good work and your constantly innovating spirit.

I am not carrying the Palladium version but can certainly get them. The Palladium is sonically no different than the normal E8s.

Thanks for the post.

Ken

Apr 11, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 30
Thanks Ken. About how long will it take to get the Palladium version?

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Hi Jalo,

I can have them in 3 - 7 days.

Thank you

Ken

Apr 13, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

If anyone is interested I will have one on Tuesday the 13th.

Thanks

Ken

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone is interested I will have one on Tuesday the 13th.

Thanks

Ken

Ken, did your mom ever told you that it is not nice to tease people? especially with something like a Palladium ED8?
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Well i'm having some technical issues that I need to revolve before I can decide on the ED8-mainly with recable and terminations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back