Ultrasone DJ1 Pro problem rekindle a bad experience.
Dec 29, 2011 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

UnityIsPower

Headphoneus Supremus
So I purchased some headphones as a start up, AKG K518 LE's(as a gift), Ultrasone DJ1 Pro's, and Audio Technica ATH WS70's. I loved the AKG's, liked the AT, and sadly have no clue on the Ultrasone. You see, I plugged them in when they arrived and got nothing.. literally. Absolute silence commenced as a tear formed around my eye. I fist thought; maybe they aren't getting enough umph from my iPhone and so plugged them into my pc. Yet again I was met with complete silence... the horror. I was stunned, surely the pc has enough juice to at least produce something! My next move was the screw in plug that connected to one of the ear cups. I unplugged/re-plugged until, finally, I got something! key word being something(not music). What I was hearing was instruments at one moment, only voice the other, then some wierd concoction of waves and echos(yes... waves). Moral of the story is... damn. Fist expensive pair of earbuds broke quickly(Sennheiser MM50 iP's for 120), now these 220 dollar Ultrasones come defective. As a side not, the strait cable they provided was 6" long... What am I going to do with a 6" long strait cable. I had to put my face right beside my PC screen just to plug them in. On top of that... the long cable had a large plug(guitar)... great, I thought it came with an adapter not this crap. I have requested a replacement and they are out of stock with a round ball In Stock date of Feb... damn. I am seriously thinking about just getting some AKG K518's for myself(instead of a gift) and using the saved money on a paintball gun... so that I may shoot friends to relieve my anger. Any thoughts gentlemen?

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 9

Quote:
I unplugged/re-plugged

Stupid question : you have pushed (screwed) all the way the plug into the cup ? I ask this because there are people who have such problems.

Maybe its a problem from the cable or the headphone.

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:

Stupid question : you have pushed (screwed) all the way the plug into the cup ? I ask this because there are people who have such problems.

Maybe its a problem from the cable or the headphone.

LOL... surely you are not implying I was not vigilant in my plugging of the cord.... surely :). I will say that after it was securely and fully screwed/plugged in, no sound came to fruition. It was not until I half ass'ed the connection that I received "sound" from the drivers/driver.

Cable? wish I could plug the other cable provided.. but sadly it is a large guitar type plug->rendering it useless in a process of cancellation/elimination test.

Dec 29, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 9
thats a 1/4th stereo plug? you can use an adapter.

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
thats a 1/4th stereo plug? you can use an adapter.

Thank you for the info, the point was however that I do not have an adapter and so could not continue the process of elimination. I would think cables like that hardly ever fail... bad soldering joints however sound to be the culprit. I hope they send the replacements quickly. Throughout all the waves and noise.... some of the instruments sounded amazing before returning to gibberish abyss. 

BTW.. is your avatar from Elfen Lied?

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 9
yes, thats nyuu

Jan 4, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
yes, thats nyuu

I see, have you seen Deadman Wonderland? Any thoughts.

My replacement headphones finally came in, so far they sound ok.... I'll give them some burn in. What sux for me is I then shorted out a USB port on my PC and had a instant shutdown. I attempted to plug in the headphones and inserted them into the USB port by mistake(its an all-in-one desktop). Opened her up, removed the CMOS batt, pluged back in... recieved Real Time Clock Error. I turned it off and on again... it worked. Moral of the story, damn. LOL

Edit: This time around, the strait cable is longer? No clue why this is...

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #8 of 9
You really have to jam the cable into the socket firmly and then screw, it shouldn't need more than 1 or 2 turns before it gets tight. This got me a couple times when I first got my DJ-1 Pros last week.

Nice to hear you got a longer straight cable, I'm picking up a 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter tomorrow so I can just use the coiled cable.

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
You really have to jam the cable into the socket firmly and then screw, it shouldn't need more than 1 or 2 turns before it gets tight. This got me a couple times when I first got my DJ-1 Pros last week.

Nice to hear you got a longer straight cable, I'm picking up a 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter tomorrow so I can just use the coiled cable.

I assure you it was all the way in... even heard a click before I started turning as stated in another Head Fi post. I just ordered a 12ft extension cable for the strait cable from Monoprice, they are mentioned many times here. I was even going to order the Monoprice 8323 but they were out of stock...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back