Ultrasone 780 or Senn HD 25-1?
Jun 23, 2008 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mr.khali

500+ Head-Fier
Looking for a closed headphone with good bass and great isolation. I want to be put into a musical cocoon.
smily_headphones1.gif
Would like them to be portable as well under $250 and that is why I have selected these 2 as my top choices. My home set up is an IMac with soon to have Duet and for on the go an IPod with Corda Move. Would like to hear from those who have some experience with both. Thanks for your help.

Oct 28, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #4 of 12
I like my HD25s but they won't put you in that cocoon, since lacking much in the transparency/soundstage section.. I've heard the 780s isolate quite as well, but since being circumaural, they have naturally slightly better soundstage. I haven't heard them, though i would very much like to. Haven't found a shop in Finland that sells them..

-K

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 12
I've heard to both these, not for the purchase sake though as I didn't do A-B. But I've heard to HD-25s few months ago and I can still remember their sonic signature. It has got some nice bass, but has got the upper bass authority which peaks out in number of occasions. Even the highs are more pleasant on the Ultrasones compared to Sennheisers. Mids are kind of bonus on the Ultrasones as I didn't see this much of detail in my earlier HFI-650s and even highs are a lot more controlled with nice bass presence. But do keep in mind that its entirely subjective.

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #6 of 12
Practicality: Senns
Sound Quality: Ultrasones

I don't consider these phones in the same league.

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Practicality: Senns
Sound Quality: Ultrasones

I don't consider these phones in the same league.

What he said. 25-1 is no match in SQ to 780. 780 is more comfortable as well. The 25-1's saving grace is its portability and rugged construction. It doesn't sound bad at all, just not on the 780's level.

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #8 of 12
loving the 780s maybe it is going from px100 to these but totaly blown away with them ,the low bass thats felt as well as heard the seperation and the soundstage the texture on the vocals ,nothing seems to get messy to me they are jaw droppingly good to my ears there seems to be so much body and depth.
isolation good without being totaly cut off
having said that im no expert but with only a cowon d2 and fiio i didnt expect anything near this level of sound quality (bad rips do sound bad )
not sure if i would walk down the road with them on plus the cables long but they look great

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #9 of 12
I've owned both. The 780 is in a different sonic league and sound MUCH better than the HD25. No comparison IMO.

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #11 of 12
i might just scrap buying the hd-25s then. seeing as i-headphones has the 780s £50 cheaper then the hd25s..... i might as well buy the 780s (can still fold em in my bag) and get some £40 iems for university.... seems the way to go. Id consider the seinheiser 600/650 range, but ive heard i would def need to amp those beasts and im not ready to spend even more money.... not yet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back