Ultra isolating, mid-centric HP for commuting
Feb 21, 2012 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Kanashimu

100+ Head-Fier
Driven out of a DX100

- Must be portable
- midcentric, not bass heavy, non-offensive treble. Must be good for all genres and especially for female vocals. Lots of poorly recorded and mastered songs, so it can't destroy these recordings.
- huge isolation (by that I mean I'll be using it in a place thats louder than a subway, so SQ doesn't matter if it can't isolate. For reference, my Miracles did not isolate enough)
- comfortable for at least 1.5 hours
- non-existant microphonics; lack of bone conduction would be GREAT
- up to $700 budget, though its fine if its a cheap, $100 IEM. I don't need it to compete with the HE-500; I just want something that can play music and doesn't have horrible clarity. 
- custom IEMs are a question mark right now. They're a huge hassle, which I really do not appreciate. 

So far I thought, SE535? I could try an ACS custom sleeve if the fit/isolation needs improvement. 

Feb 22, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 6
Owning the SE530 I would definitely say go for the SE535. Don't expect any universal on the planet other that the Etymotic ER4/HF5 to isolate more than a well fitting custom, but the Etymotics are not the sound you are looking for.

Feb 22, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Owning the SE530 I would definitely say go for the SE535. Don't expect any universal on the planet other that the Etymotic ER4/HF5 to isolate more than a well fitting custom, but the Etymotics are not the sound you are looking for.

Actually the SE420 isolates better than the Etymotic

Quote from http://www.headphoneinfo.com/content/Shure-SE420-Headphones-Review-668/Performance.htm

"The Shure SE420 is, at the time of this writing, the best set of headphones for isolation. The Etymotic Research 6isolators, one of our first reviews, has finally been dethroned, and active-cancellers out there lie prostrate before its attenuating might. The SE420s are excellent for blocking out sound."

Personally I've had Shure SE420, Westone 3, Westone UM3x and Shure SE530. The SE420 is the best isolator followed very close by the UM3x. The SE530 was not up to it isolation wise.

Since i actually treasure isolation (Which means health and resolution to me) i still have the SE420 and the UM3x.

Problem with SE420 is that they are really flat. True to source. They won't put bass where it is none to be found. Usually triple drivers boost subbass and treble to wow users but the SE420 just gives you reference sound. I still love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back