Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Dec 14, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #4,143 of 4,383
I actually woke up this morning and tested them and it sounds normal, or at not as bad as last night - I'll have to do some more listening to confirm, again! :D I changed the cable and deoxited it (didn't appear to do anything last night) and left it over night. I don't know what happened but I'm still holding my breath. I hope it stays this way. Maybe I should've waited more than 24 hours before jumping the gun and posting about it. It needs to stop scaring me like this.

Any News from Logitech?

Dec 14, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #4,144 of 4,383
I don't understand why, so much people hate this earphone, I have my UE900 almost 2 years now, and the only issue I had is cutting out sound on right earphone with only one 3th party cable. I fixed it with dioxide red tube. So far, they are one of best looking and ergonomic IEMs. In comparison, they can't provide same quality of high frequency and strong bass as do Sony's flagship hybrids. But, I like how they tuned, sound is so natural to me, vocal is very detail and I like they mids speed, overall, PRaT is very good. Good mastered electronic music sound is very good, any Rock and Metal songs also sound very good.
However... I think I will sell them and move next year to the UE RMR. I'm not that person who collect things, at least trying not to be them... :)

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #4,148 of 4,383
I've been thinking of picking up UE900 one more time, I've already owned a used pair once, I found them quite dark, veiled and thick though personally, was never sure if there was something clogged in the filters. Can get them for $295 AUD atm.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #4,151 of 4,383
I've been thinking of picking up UE900 one more time, I've already owned a used pair once, I found them quite dark, veiled and thick though personally, was never sure if there was something clogged in the filters. Can get them for $295 AUD atm.

I do find them to be veiled on occasion. Cymbal hits seem to disappear sometimes. Not a deal breaker to me as I love their overall sound!

Dec 14, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #4,152 of 4,383
I just got the ue 900s and like them so far. Sounds so much clearer than those sony iem I was using. 

Which eartips do you guys use with them? I tried them right away with sony hybrids, which I've been using with all my iems since I got the TF10. 

Dec 19, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #4,154 of 4,383
  I do find them to be veiled on occasion. Cymbal hits seem to disappear sometimes. Not a deal breaker to me as I love their overall sound!

I agree it sometimes happens, from my experience the reason for that is not a perfect fit. Small bass bore push not too much air, so if air don't go directly to our eardrum, it can lost in half on its way... Describing visually what I want to say:

So, they are every fit depended IEM. I strongly recommend try to fit them with open mouth or with same technique as you do with canal phones

If it doesn't help, try SpintFit tips

From my experience here is how they sound with different fit:

Not enough isolation (Small Tips): no bass, thin and cheap sound.
Average isolation with slightly more deeper insert (Medium Tips, tips slightly pass or stays on first ear channel bend): good sub bass impact with good articulation, average mid bass impact, vocal is behind of scene, highs a little harsh, good instrument separation, but layering is a little too distant.
Good isolation but not to deep (Large tips): No sub-bass impact at all, mid bass sometimes lose, sound more like "mid-forward" and highs can be sometimes sibilant. Overall, sound is not balanced.
Good isolation with slightly more deeper insert (Large tips, tips slightly pass or stays on first ear channel bend): Good mid-bass and sub-bass impact, bass quantity is not big, but not neutral either, with good articulation (when it should be). Vocal is sweet and intimidate, highs are neutral, for someone highs could be a little on darker side, good instrument separation. Overall, thick, coherent sound with "stage" signature.

PS. I use my UE900 with FiiO cable, so your experience can be a little different from my. Since, FiiO cable makes UE900 a slightly V-shaped, adding just a little more low bass and treble, and makes them just a little less smoother and more faster.

I just got the ue 900s and like them so far. Sounds so much clearer than those sony iem I was using. 

Which eartips do you guys use with them? I tried them right away with sony hybrids, which I've been using with all my iems since I got the TF10. 

Personally, I don't like sony hybrids tips in term of SQ they are too blurry (smoothed), highs is rolloff and too much mid-bass. Sony hybrids tips good for low-mid-fi earphones like Vsonic VSD3, but with mid-high-fi earphones, you will sacrifice with performance. With UE900 I like original tips more than any other.

PS. Sorry guys for my english skills.

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #4,155 of 4,383
Hi guys , I bought the UE900 on sale and honestly I dont think that it sounds like a $300 IEM . Comparing it to my KC06A , the clarity and instrument separation is just slightly better , drums and vocals wins , again , by a little only . Sub bass is almost non existent , bass is a tad punchier , but the KC06A has alot more sub bass and only losing in punch by a hair , I dont think the UE900 wins alot in the department.

Overall , the sound is cleaner but even at a discounted price I hardly think the sound it worth it compared to my $70 KC06A . Im using it with my phone and ipad , do I need an AMP/External DAC , or is this pair of earphones just not for me 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back