Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #2,897 of 4,383
Update on my new 900s.  I was on the road this week and noticed bass response had dwindled.  Sure enough I needed larger foamies.  I tried the rubber but don't seem to get good seal.  The 13.5 MM foamies seem just right.  Bass is not only back but better than I originally had with the 12.5.  Feel more comfortable as well. 

Haven't had any problems and their sound is rich and luxurious.  My Shure 5C's are no slouches.  But these UE's deliver a higher level of detail revealing more of the music's complexities.   

Some of my reference music is:

Pat Metheny Group - First Circle and Still Life Talking.  I know these like the back of my hand and they tell me how my speakers or portable system stacks up.

DSOTM - the clock sounds before chimes on Time are impressive!

Beatles - Abbey Road.  Another album I know like the back of my hand.  Can't hear all the crickets like I used to on Sun King but this may be the best I've ever heard Abbey Road.  Will have to check out some of the Mono...

Midrange is phenomenal and that's where the magic is IMHO.  

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #2,898 of 4,383
  I see in your signature that you also have the Shure se215. I am considering them as a beater, any thoughts comparing them to the  UE 900?

I also changed from Se215 to the UE900 (well couldnt resist for 199€..). Tho i didnt compared them for tooo long, because it was pretty clear for me that i'll sell my SE215. 199€ was just a great deal for the ue900)

The SE 215 is a VERY bassy inear. Much bass (tho VERY deep), which goes into the mids. The treble is less than neutral, so its a pretty dark sounding.
They also have a "peak" at around 5 Khz. You might not notice it, but compared to other inears/headphones, who does not have this peak, you can hear it.
As soon i used the ue900, i heared it, and couldnt stand it anymore. The mids around 5 Khz started to really "scream" into your ears, which wasnt very pleasant.
To be honest, i found the UE900, despite beeing SO much better technicaly, much better for even worse remastering-quality songs/lower bitrate, than the SE215. Thats, because the ue900 are pretty neutral, and still dont miss any bass. The bass is almost perfectly neutral, into the deepest bit untill the mids start its like perfectly linear.
And up to the treble, there arent really any peaks which can cause any problems. Very natural, so i personally think, they can sound great on everything. Jazz, classic, rock, metal, rap, etc. (of corse if you dont dislike a natural sounding.

To me, it was an big upgrade, and now i enjoy the natural sounding over the SE 215.
If i would ever buy a cheap in-ear again, it would be a Soundmagic E10 (which goes for 23-40€ here), which is pretty natural over the bassy Shure SE 215.

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #2,899 of 4,383
This is a little off-topic but mentally i'm still asking the same question to myself. Does the IEMS still have some form of quality control issues? I've seen multiple pictures of what may have happened after a few months. Should i really invest into an IEM that literally deteriorates on its own?

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #2,900 of 4,383
  This is a little off-topic but mentally i'm still asking the same question to myself. Does the IEMS still have some form of quality control issues? I've seen multiple pictures of what may have happened after a few months. Should i really invest into an IEM that literally deteriorates on its own?

It seems that may be the case.  My UE 900 have been going strong since the day I got them. 

Apr 7, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #2,901 of 4,383

I also changed from Se215 to the UE900 (well couldnt resist for 199€..). Tho i didnt compared them for tooo long, because it was pretty clear for me that i'll sell my SE215. 199€ was just a great deal for the ue900)

The SE 215 is a VERY bassy inear. Much bass (tho VERY deep), which goes into the mids. The treble is less than neutral, so its a pretty dark sounding.
They also have a "peak" at around 5 Khz. You might not notice it, but compared to other inears/headphones, who does not have this peak, you can hear it.
As soon i used the ue900, i heared it, and couldnt stand it anymore. The mids around 5 Khz started to really "scream" into your ears, which wasnt very pleasant.
To be honest, i found the UE900, despite beeing SO much better technicaly, much better for even worse remastering-quality songs/lower bitrate, than the SE215. Thats, because the ue900 are pretty neutral, and still dont miss any bass. The bass is almost perfectly neutral, into the deepest bit untill the mids start its like perfectly linear.
And up to the treble, there arent really any peaks which can cause any problems. Very natural, so i personally think, they can sound great on everything. Jazz, classic, rock, metal, rap, etc. (of corse if you dont dislike a natural sounding.

To me, it was an big upgrade, and now i enjoy the natural sounding over the SE 215.
If i would ever buy a cheap in-ear again, it would be a Soundmagic E10 (which goes for 23-40€ here), which is pretty natural over the bassy Shure SE 215.

Thanks very much! :)

Apr 7, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #2,902 of 4,383

Well, first Logitech reduced the warranty from 2 years to 1 year. Second, I have had mine for 5 months now and still have notorious connectors issue when the sound it cutting off.  I am also suspecting the left channel is 5%-10% louder than the right, but can't confirm that. Overall the sound quality is good but it hasn't grown on me, partly because of those issues. Luckily, mine were purchased when they came with the 2 year hardware warranty.

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #2,903 of 4,383
  Well, first Logitech reduced the warranty from 2 years to 1 year. Second, I have had mine for 5 months now and still have notorious connectors issue when the sound it cutting off.  I am also suspecting the left channel is 5%-10% louder than the right, but can't confirm that. Overall the sound quality is good but it hasn't grown on me, partly because of those issues. Luckily, mine were purchased when they came with the 2 year hardware warranty.

Same for me, randomly left or right sound cuts off in the first 20 minute usage, always had this connection problem about 3rd month or so.

But I like the sound signature of UE900, to me it's well balanced to be neutral.not too bassy but enough bass to enjoy. :)

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #2,905 of 4,383
Apr 9, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #2,908 of 4,383
After drifting between a few lower end produts for a couple of years since I left my beloved TF10s in the seat pocket on a plane, I finally managed to score a good deal on these ($200 and change from Logitech for a dented box, except it looked perfect when I received it).

The fit is killing me though, I see now the 'default' way to wear is similar to how the TF10s had to be hacked by swapping left with right and vice versa. I've been wearing these for a couple of days (no more than an hour or two each time because my earlobe would start to ache) and every few minutes I keep trying to adjust and push them around in my ear to see if I could find a way to get them comfortable but to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions?

Apr 9, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #2,909 of 4,383
I had a little trouble too.  In fact I just found best fit with the rubber tips by going smaller.  I kept going larger with foam.  And with rubber even the largest wasn't sealing - till I figured out I needed to go smaller.  

I don't like having to squeeze the foam then hold in place while it expands - I liked the black foamies on my Shures in that regard.  But just fiddling around and found best fit so far by going several sizes smaller on the rubber tips.

Now sound is nice and warm.  better bass.  I guess I wasn't getting deep enough fit with too large tips for my ears.  I started with 12.5 and went up from there at first.  Then I tried the rubber - smaller than 12.5 - and wow.  This tips fits just right - reminds me of the Three Bears ; )

Give it a try.  Hope it works for you.

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #2,910 of 4,383
After drifting between a few lower end produts for a couple of years since I left my beloved TF10s in the seat pocket on a plane, I finally managed to score a good deal on these ($200 and change from Logitech for a dented box, except it looked perfect when I received it).

The fit is killing me though, I see now the 'default' way to wear is similar to how the TF10s had to be hacked by swapping left with right and vice versa. I've been wearing these for a couple of days (no more than an hour or two each time because my earlobe would start to ache) and every few minutes I keep trying to adjust and push them around in my ear to see if I could find a way to get them comfortable but to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions?

Are you wearing them down or over the ear? I wear mine with the wires going over my ears and the fit and comfort is perfect, especially after coming from the tf10's. No part of the earphones goes anywhere near the earlobe in this configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back