Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Apr 18, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #1,891 of 4,383
The regular SE535 CERTAINLY has more revealing treble than UE900.  Not even a fair fight.  I would rate UE900 treble as "poor."  Thats what rolled off treble sounds like.
wow really..I wanted the ue900 but not now..I was going to sell my 535s but think I'll keep them now..I do really love the sound of them..thank you..

Apr 18, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #1,893 of 4,383
Quote:
wow really..I wanted the ue900 but not now..I was going to sell my 535s but think I'll keep them now..I do really love the sound of them..thank you..

Don't take my word as I am going only by my ears.  Others like Inks have their ears as well as the charts sine-waves and decombopulator rods with the flux capacitors to prove I am wrong.

I certainly prefer the TF10 over the UE900.  Both have flaws but I could live with TF10's moreso.  At least the bass and treble extend further.  Midrange is the only real issue with TF10.

I bought and sold my UE900 last week.  I will have another pair of SE535's tomorrow (owned it 6 months just after released) and will post a direct comparison as close as I can from recent memory of having the UE900.

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #1,894 of 4,383
Quote:
Wow I don't find the UE900 as rolled off in the treble at all!

Just like me! I own both and find UE900 much better overall than SE535, altough lacking some bass. My ears simply cannot stand the absence of treble coming from the 535. 
My 535 is new (regular version, less than 50 hours) and I'm about to sell it in the coming weeks if the highs doesn't improve.

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #1,895 of 4,383
I have owned a couple of Shure IEMs and found their treble lacking and have always read that this is how the 535 sounds as well which is why I have not bought that IEM. I have also owned several other IEMs and headphones with a lack of treble so know what I don't like.

The UE900 does NOT sound like those headphones! It has a very pleasant lively treble in my experience. It is slightly less energetic than the best I have heard but the difference is marginal and also ensures that it is not sibilant or harsh.

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #1,897 of 4,383
Yeah... I don't understand what you are hearing Spyro. The UE900 clearly has more treble presence than the SE535. I think you must hear differently than most of us here :wink: Nothing you have said about the UE900 or the SE535 agrees with what I've heard with my ears.

Apr 19, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #1,898 of 4,383
Perhaps the problem is the veil?  Or my interpretation of what a high extended treble should sound like (bright and crisp).  I guess the extension could be there...and be higher but in this regard I would always expect something more bright and crisp if it is more extended. SE535 is brighter and crisper to my ears.   UE900 and W4 are not bright and crisp because of the veil and is why they both sound a bit "off" to me.   Maybe it is an unveiled midrange with SE535 making it sound like it has more clarity overall which I think it does.

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #1,900 of 4,383
Quote:
Interesting UE900 service here

Knowing how critical the pinhole bore is to the tuning of the UE 900, I actually don't recommend reshelling them unless the company can recreate and reproduce that bore design (unlikely).

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #1,901 of 4,383
Knowing how critical the pinhole bore is to the tuning of the UE 900, I actually don't recommend reshelling them unless the company can recreate and reproduce that bore design (unlikely).

As interesting as the service is, I agree with what you said, its kind of a risky anyway without any chance to hear what you are getting into before this no turning back service. Adding the reshelling money you are pretty much into CIEM territory.

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #1,902 of 4,383
Perhaps the problem is the veil?  Or my interpretation of what a high extended treble should sound like (bright and crisp).  I guess the extension could be there...and be higher but in this regard I would always expect something more bright and crisp if it is more extended. SE535 is brighter and crisper to my ears.   UE900 and W4 are not bright and crisp because of the veil and is why they both sound a bit "off" to me.   Maybe it is an unveiled midrange with SE535 making it sound like it has more clarity overall which I think it does.

That definitely sounds about right. While u feel they do extend well, I would never call them bright. I wouldn't say the se535 are extended or bright but I can definitely understand what you are saying about the midrange and such. I think I know what you are hearing now and the difference here is merely semantics.

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #1,904 of 4,383
Quote:

Fill your pinhole bore, or put a piece of scotch tape over it.  For some odd reason, mine sounds like it's already filled :p 

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #1,905 of 4,383

Saying goodbye to my favorite universal so far.

I used to be a huge balanced dynamic fan with a strong appreciation for design but the W4 steered me toward neutral balanced armatures and the UE900 really convinced me of a superior audio reproduction (musical sound without drifting towards clinical).

While the market is offering great new alternatives (SM64, FA-3E /XB), I have found the next step with the StageDiver 3 as an universal, or might even jump directly to CIEM territory with Stage 3 or UERM.

Have fun guys, see you around!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back