Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #1,713 of 4,383
Quote:

Even though I loved my TF10s, I just pulled the trigger on the UE 900s knowing I could return in case I didn't think there would be enough bang for the buck. Well, I won't be returning them. The UE 900s are a significant upgrade in fit, comfort, sound, and cable. I will probably give my TF10s to my son.

I've only had my TF10's for about 2 months and I've been very delighted with them. They've got the widest sound stage and clearest and smoothest mids and highs I've had than any headphone I've owned. I just thought the bass was a little lacking and so I always had to EQ the bass up to make it sound more balanced.

So I was looking at trying the UE 900s like you to see if the 2 low frequency BA drivers that it has would make the bass sound a bit more forward.     

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #1,715 of 4,383
Quote:

Trust me, the UE900 is not for you. Be not confused, the double-bass drivers are for linearity only, not for more power!

When you  say "linearity" does that mean flattening out the response?
So these 2 bass drivers are not exactly the same but differ slightly to cover different parts of the bass spectrum?

Would you happen to know which IEM I should be looking at that has the same mids and highs signature as the TF10's but also has more bass? Maybe should I be looking at a hybrid with a dynamic bass driver?  

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #1,716 of 4,383
Quote:
When you  say "linearity" does that mean flattening out the response?
So these 2 bass drivers are not exactly the same but differ slightly to cover different parts of the bass spectrum?

Would you happen to know which IEM I should be looking at that has the same mids and highs signature as the TF10's but also has more bass? Maybe should I be looking at a hybrid with a dynamic bass driver?  

There is a lot less bass response in the UE 900 compared to the Triple-Fi.  I don't know what drivers are specifically used in the Triple-Fi, but I'm sure it's 1 bass driver is far larger than the 2 in the 900 combined.  It's probably a similar deal parallel to the 4.Ai vs 3.Ai bass quantity where the shear size of the 3.Ai bass driver makes the bass so much bigger than the 4.Ai which has 2 bass drivers.  

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #1,717 of 4,383
Quote:
There is a lot less bass response in the UE 900 compared to the Triple-Fi.  I don't know what drivers are specifically used in the Triple-Fi, but I'm sure it's 1 bass driver is far larger than the 2 in the 900 combined.  It's probably a similar deal parallel to the 4.Ai vs 3.Ai bass quantity where the shear size of the 3.Ai bass driver makes the bass so much bigger than the 4.Ai which has 2 bass drivers.  

The bass drivers used the the UE900 and TF10 are actually quite similar. The DTEC and 3300 are basically analogues of each other. The 3300 maybe has a bit more back volume for a more visceral bass impact, but the increased felt bass of the TF10 compared to the UE900 is most certainly due to the tonal balance between the lows and the highs, with additional alteration due to the chamber/pinhole design of the UE900.

This is not the same situation as the 3.Ai vs. 4.Ai; the 3.Ai uses a CI driver, which, along with the Sonion 2015, has the largest back volume excursion of any balanced armature driver around. The CI is an "ancient" BA driver, designed initially for massive SPL output (peaking at >140 dB). With effective low pass and damping, it makes for a "punchy" and "meaty" bass driver. It also tends to impart warmth to the midrange (yes, it goes all the way up there because all BA drivers are "full range"; the 1964-V3 uses a CI for its mid, mid/lows, as well as another CI/2015 for its absolute lows).

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #1,718 of 4,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Atomic Floyd Superdarts

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #1,719 of 4,383
Quote:

The bass drivers used the the UE900 and TF10 are actually quite similar. The DTEC and 3300 are basically analogues of each other. The 3300 maybe has a bit more back volume for a more visceral bass impact, but the increased felt bass of the TF10 compared to the UE900 is most certainly due to the tonal balance between the lows and the highs, with additional alteration due to the chamber/pinhole design of the UE900.

This is not the same situation as the 3.Ai vs. 4.Ai; the 3.Ai uses a CI driver, which, along with the Sonion 2015, has the largest back volume excursion of any balanced armature driver around. The CI is an "ancient" BA driver, designed initially for massive SPL output (peaking at >140 dB). With effective low pass and damping, it makes for a "punchy" and "meaty" bass driver. It also tends to impart warmth to the midrange (yes, it goes all the way up there because all BA drivers are "full range"; the 1964-V3 uses a CI for its mid, mid/lows, as well as another CI/2015 for its absolute lows).

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION, WAS UNAWARE.

Quote:

Atomic Floyd Superdarts

THEY WOULD DEFINITELY DO WHAT HE WANTS.  DEEP V IN THE SUPERDARTS.  NOT TOO SHABBY TO LISTEN TO EITHER.  3.AI MAY ALSO BE SOMETHING TO LOOK INTO.

___
EDIT: sorry about the caps lock.  Was doing an assembler assignment, compiler crashes if everything isn't caps (sucks) and didn't turn off caps.  Too lazy to retype :p  

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #1,721 of 4,383
Just a question between the W4 and UE900 which one has more forward vocals and which one performs better for female vocals, jazz, classical and rock?

This is really a very close call. Both IEMs have pretty similar sound signature and excels in the genres that you mentioned. For the W4, it is more to a 'balanced' sound with slight mid bass boost. Vocals are slightly more forward than the UE900. Although being slightly forward, it is very well-positioned and vocals are extremely lush and sweet. For the UE900, it is more to a 'neutral' sound and is "flatter" than the W4. Everything is well-placed with no emphasis. That said, the bass on W4 is more punchy and extends deeper IMO. Clarity in the lower mid region UE900 will have an edge as I find the W4 slightly veiled in the lower mids.
However, comparing build quality wise, I would recommend the W4R anytime over the UE900.
Other than that, both IEMs are a close call and it is really up to your own personal preference to decide whichever suits your taste more. Do try out both IEMs first before making your decision as both are easily one of the top tier universal IEMs in the market currently.

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #1,722 of 4,383
I only have the UE900 but listen to a ton of music like your mentioning and simply love how the UE900 handles the music. I do recommend trying the UE900 first if possible (I bought mine from a local Apple store because they have a 14 day return policy). I would have tried the W4 but buying online from the US would have been tricky for returns.

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #1,723 of 4,383
Quote:
Just a question between the W4 and UE900 which one has more forward vocals and which one performs better for female vocals, jazz, classical and rock?

Vocals are more forward with the UE 900. The W4 should do better with vocs as it does the vocal range a little better. For female, the differences are small for the most part. Some lushness, which the 900s lack, can come into good use as well, the 4s do very well in that area as well. I feel the W4 is better with vocal range (height and depth). For jazz and rock, I'd go W4, for classical, the 900. Both can do them All pretty well though. 

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #1,724 of 4,383
Vocals are more forward with the UE 900. The W4 should do better with vocs as it does the vocal range a little better. For female, the differences are small for the most part. Some lushness, which the 900s lack, can come into good use as well, the 4s do very well in that area as well. I feel the W4 is better with vocal range (height and depth). For jazz and rock, I'd go W4, for classical, the 900. Both can do them All pretty well though. 

Exactly. +1

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #1,725 of 4,383
Quote:

Thanks. I think maybe I will try the W4's and then get the one I like more.
Quote:
I only have the UE900 but listen to a ton of music like your mentioning and simply love how the UE900 handles the music. I do recommend trying the UE900 first if possible (I bought mine from a local Apple store because they have a 14 day return policy). I would have tried the W4 but buying online from the US would have been tricky for returns.

Thanks. Yeah in the same boat as you but still curious on the W4's
tongue.gif

Quote:
This is really a very close call. Both IEMs have pretty similar sound signature and excels in the genres that you mentioned. For the W4, it is more to a 'balanced' sound with slight mid bass boost. Vocals are slightly more forward than the UE900. Although being slightly forward, it is very well-positioned and vocals are extremely lush and sweet. For the UE900, it is more to a 'neutral' sound and is "flatter" than the W4. Everything is well-placed with no emphasis. That said, the bass on W4 is more punchy and extends deeper IMO. Clarity in the lower mid region UE900 will have an edge as I find the W4 slightly veiled in the lower mids.
However, comparing build quality wise, I would recommend the W4R anytime over the UE900.
Other than that, both IEMs are a close call and it is really up to your own personal preference to decide whichever suits your taste more. Do try out both IEMs first before making your decision as both are easily one of the top tier universal IEMs in the market currently.

Thanks for the comparisons. I do have the UE900 at the moment and I do like them. But I find vocals can be a bit distant sometimes on the UE's, but the prat factor, soundstage and treble extension are great on these. So i'm unsure if the W4's will suit my needs more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back