Ultimate Ears UE-10 vs. Westone ES3X
May 5, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #166 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by funkymonkcp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't quite understand what's wrong with UE's customer service so I figure I will share my experience with UE customer service. I bought UE-11's in January and their customer service was top notch. I had many questions before I bought them and I would always get an email response within 1-3 hours.

I went in on a Friday to get ear molds at an audiologist and sent them over night to UE and paid an extra fee for UE to rush making them. They received the molds that Monday and I had the UE-11's by Wednesday. I even changed my mind about the color and custom artwork many times and they were very nice throughout my decision process.

Once I received them I wasn't very happy with how the color turned out and there was a fit issue. I informed them that I didn't like the color and asked if they would remake them when they get them back for the refit. They went ahead and made them in the new color and fixed the fit and sent them back to me. They refunded my $200 I paid for rush delivery since I had to send them back. They also overnighted them back to me for free. Normally they would do standard fedex shipping.

I counted my emails back and forth between UE and there are about 50 emails. They were very helpful with everything, even making suggestions on color choices.

Anyways, I just think there should be at least one good story of UE's customer service.

Back in December I bought the Westone 3's and got UM-56 custom tips. Westone's customer service was very good as well. However I didn't have to deal with them as much since tips are a lot more straightforward.

It is nice to hear a positive report of UE. You've seen to long thread about people complaining about UE, right?

May 5, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #167 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is nice to hear a positive report of UE. You've seen to long thread about people complaining about UE, right?

I actually haven't seen that thread. I usually do a search for UE-11 and I only look at threads within the last 6 months.

May 5, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #168 of 175
i also have been in contact with ue for loooong time and their customer serivce is fanatstic, just cant be better.

i can say that i have experience with westone service and ue service and ue's service is much better, they doesnt feel like machines...

May 16, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #170 of 175
We are glad to hear it. Hope you will find here some useful information for your next portable rig
wink.gif

May 19, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #171 of 175
hey, after re-reading this whole thread at my free time, i just had this weird thought. Since all arguments points to the fact at both customs are amazing, have anyone tried using both together?

Apparently both models are compatible with the ue custom cable or the es2 cable, so have anyone tried using the left es3x drivers with the right ue11 drivers? If so, since both customs have different signatures, i wonder what would they sound like if paired together, one left and the other right. Would be quite interesting. Probably will end up with a messed up sound, but who knows, maybe the new sound sig may be appealing
smily_headphones1.gif

My random thoughts after reading this thread lol

Jun 20, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #172 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UE10 are the most transparent custom IEM I have heard. Essentially void of coloration in their sound. Although this may be a sound that some seek out, I for one do not. Coloration is often referred to as a bad thing. I don't want overly colored music, however an audio life void of color in my experience isn't realistic either.

I attribute the UE10 lack of coloration to what gives their more cold and analytical sound. If they had even a hint of warmth, there would be coloration. If they were more of a fun musical, engaging IEM then there would be some coloration associated with that.

I guess to a certain degree I am a slower study in the audio jargon and what it means when I am listening to music vs. many others here on the forum. It took me a long time to realize that analytical sound essentially translated into me catching myself spending more time analyzing the sound and critiquing the performance and playing of the musicians vs. essentially just kicking back and enjoying the music. In essence, this type of analytical listening is what happens when I listen to the UE10, vs. simply being immersed in and enjoying the music and emotion that accompanies it which is what happens when I listen to the ES3x (and the UE11 as well.)

If I were to hold you to the letter of the law on what you're asking for in terms of sound, I would say get the UE10, although be careful...you might just get what you're asking for.

Lack of any coloration means there isn't the ability to help out a bad recording or to smooth out some rough or harsh sound in the recording. If it is sibiliant on the original, it will be sibiliant on the UE10.

This may sound to some to be harsh on the ES3x, not at all. I absolutely love their sound. I have spent the majority of my listening time with the ES3x since I got them and have only plugged in some others to do a quick comparison, as I am doing now listening to the UE10.

The 'natural' sound of the ES3x as Headphone Addict mentions is absolutely captivating. The musicians sound like there are there in the room with you, playing for you vs .listening to a recording. The imaging is almost holographic in its presentation, with a very 3D effect to the sound. The weight of the sound and each of its images is also spot on. It also has a wonderful sense of space, soundstaging and emotion that comes across in its presentation.

However, as I mentioned, based solely on your stated desires, I would say get the UE10.

Making a reccommendation on any custom IEM is always something I have struggled with simply due to the fact that it is often a one shot deal, you can't return them, can't listen to them in advance, etc. My advice on getting a custom IEM is to always do as much research up front as possible. Make a decision and once the decision is made, kick back and enjoy your purchase.

Once you get to the upper tier of custom IEM (ES3x, UE10, UE11, etc) then it is really splitting hairs on sound differences. They are all incredible and if I wasn't a freaked out head-fi'er dying to know what each of them sound like then I'd be happy owning any of them (and I would include the UE5c and Westone ES2 in that group as well.)

Really there are clearly differences between all of the custom IEMs that are the most apparent immediately after switching between them. Once you spend time acclimating yourself to the sound of any of the custom IEM then the differences are much harder to distinguish as their particular sound and experience tends to sweep you away with the music.

I was listening to Garcia/Grisman 'So What' this morning when I woke up using the ES3x (5.5g iMod, ALO Jumbo Cryo/silver dipped gold LOD, RSA p-51, ES3x) and switched over to the UE10 to compare. Immediately, the UE10's highs sounded more present, the body and weight of the images thinned out and the sound overall took on a less engaging presence although commanded attention from the performance itself. After listening for several minutes, the differences between the two melted away and the music took over once again.

You have got to be the freaking Shakespeare of HeadFi. This post of yours was better than the movie I saw last night.

Jun 20, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #173 of 175
And instead of just being UE10 vs ES3X - you now should consider the JH offering as well... sometimes choice isn't such a great thing

Jun 21, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #174 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have got to be the freaking Shakespeare of HeadFi. This post of yours was better than the movie I saw last night.

QFT

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #175 of 175
Well, I just spent one hour to carefully read this tread and all I can say is : My wallet is going to suffer... way more than I expected.

Right now, I have two options : I can score a pair of UE10Pros brand new for 720$ + shipping ( witch is a quite good price), or, for about the same money, getting a pair of ES3X used and getting it remold by Westone (to get the full sound signature as intended).

I was wondering : What would you guys do?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back