Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10s are ripping (wire coming out pic inside)
Aug 10, 2012 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nguyenning

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, new to the forum.

I'm past the 1 year warranty and a wire has now made its way out of the headphone... is there a way to fix this or do I just live with it? The headphones still work, but it's a bit unfortunate aesthetically... any advice would be much appreciated!

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 9
Get an aftermarket cable. It doesn't need to be expensive, and you can even get Logitech/UE's proprietary IEM cable. They are MUCH better aesthetically and ergonomically than the stock TF10 cable, and can change/improve the sound (to some people).

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 9
Where do you stay? Some regions have shops that sell aftermarket cables in store, but if you aren't lucky and don't have such a store, you can order one online. I would personally recommend the Null Audio cables.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/564978/14-custom-iem-tf10-cables-reviewed-audiosonus-ue-tf10-cable-added-7-16-12/60
Here is a great thread that's got plenty for you to choose from. There are plenty more cables to be found online.

If you want a cable custom built for you, check out Chris_Himself at headphonelounge, he makes some wonderful cables for affordable prices.

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #6 of 9
The main thing is not worry too much about what's happened. That's why TF10 have replaceable cables and the stock are best desribed as disposable.

There's many options that won't cost you a fortune. You can look for another stock cable which indeed might have the same problem or you can shop around and spend anywhere from $30 to $120 on an after market cable, that in my opinion will change the sound for the better. Check out sunricky cables on ebay, he has a wide varierty in the price ranges I mentioned.

I recently purchased one of his Dark Lord cables and the fit is so much more comfortable using his ear hoops. It also allows me to have a shallower insertion. Best of all it does change the sound imo. There's more air, better micro detailing, slightly more clarity and the highs are extended a little. Bass becomes more powerful as well.. Also the cable shows a little more resistance so you can use higher volumes with a smoother consistency. My TF10 have never sounded better since using this upgrade cable.

There's plenty of options. :smile:

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #8 of 9
I think that is the memory wire, the hard wire that changes shape as we bend and stays that way... you can just buy a new cable or cut the memory wire and cover with tapes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back