Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Aug 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #6,961 of 9,690
Hi guys, need a little help here.

The nozzle got detached from the body :frowning2: I was trying to pull out the foam tips but the whole nozzle just came apart. I can attach it back to the body and it still works fine, but it would fall off very easily (the TF10 kept falling off from my ear while the nozzle and tips are still in my ear.)

Is there any way to fix this? I'm afraid that I would damage the drivers inside and thus haven't done anything to it.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

happened to me on my old pair, both sides. get some paste epoxy, worked great for me, they are still strong after over 10 months fixed.

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #6,962 of 9,690
Quote:
Yeah I've thought about that, but sadly the warranty is over. (I bought it on May last year).

I noticed it wasn't as airtight when I attached it back, and it probably affects the sound quality. And as you said, if I tried to fix it myself, it just won't sound the same.

I wonder if the headphone repair shops fix this kind of things?

Exact same thing happened to my pair and they are well outside the warranty. I used 2 part fast set epoxy resin glue applied very carefully ( and sparingly ) with a cocktail stick around the lip of the detached front part and pushed the two together holding it in place for like 2 minutes till the glue sets.  Left it overnight to fully harden off, and its been fine ever since. That was about a year ago now.

Edit - I type too slow! Just submitted and saw the post above. Yeah, what he said!

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #6,963 of 9,690
Quote:
Exact same thing happened to my pair and they are well outside the warranty. I used 2 part fast set epoxy resin glue applied very carefully ( and sparingly ) with a cocktail stick around the lip of the detached front part and pushed the two together holding it in place for like 2 minutes till the glue sets.  Left it overnight to fully harden off, and its been fine ever since. That was about a year ago now.

Edit - I type too slow! Just submitted and saw the post above. Yeah, what he said!

and ditto.

for the record, I have 2 pairs, and they both sound the same, so I say it works.

Aug 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #6,964 of 9,690
Quote:
and ditto.

for the record, I have 2 pairs, and they both sound the same, so I say it works.

2 pairs... I have enough trouble getting 1 pair in my ears! did you get the second pair to check the repair job on the first pair?

Aug 6, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #6,966 of 9,690
Quote:
happened to me on my old pair, both sides. get some paste epoxy, worked great for me, they are still strong after over 10 months fixed.

I'll third or fourth?.. the suggestion of using epoxy resin. I've succesfully used epoxy putty on an old Tf10 shell, the putty is probably a bit on the thick side and does leave a visible layer but the IEM is still going strong years on. Superglue viscosity is too thin and the shell will most likely not be totally sealed. If you have access to a vice or similar to maintain a constant pressure on it (just a little !) I'd leave it in the vice overnight until fully set rather than the 2 minutes suggested earlier, as epoxy resins usually tend to have a fairly long curing time.

Aug 6, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #6,967 of 9,690
Quote:

I'll third or fourth?.. the suggestion of using epoxy resin. I've succesfully used epoxy putty on an old Tf10 shell, the putty is probably a bit on the thick side and does leave a visible layer but the IEM is still going strong years on. Superglue viscosity is too thin and the shell will most likely not be totally sealed. If you have access to a vice or similar to maintain a constant pressure on it (just a little !) I'd leave it in the vice overnight until fully set rather than the 2 minutes suggested earlier, as epoxy resins usually tend to have a fairly long curing time.

not the putty, this one , the putty would be too tick indeed. and what i did was used a helping hand set to keep them hold with pressure overnight. just a thin layer in both pieces and then snap and remove the excess that will come out before it dries.

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #6,968 of 9,690
My Dark Lord silver plated cable arrived today. I'm fairly impressed with the build quality and sound improvement. It's a far cry from the cheaper furutech / copy cable I had tried previously. The connectors fit snugly without stretching the TF10 sockets and also sit flush with the earpieces. I've tested the polarity with a multi meter to against the stock cable and it's correct.

Overall bass has tightened up, it does come across more powerful, there's slightly more air / detail in mid range frequency's, I also feel a touch more clarity in mid. The treble feels slightly more extended possibly a little brighter overall. Another thing to note is it feels there's slightly more resistance than the stock cable which allows higher volumes with smoother consistency.

For the $36 I paid I feel it's totally worth the change.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #6,969 of 9,690
Quote:
Yeah I've thought about that, but sadly the warranty is over. (I bought it on May last year).

I noticed it wasn't as airtight when I attached it back, and it probably affects the sound quality. And as you said, if I tried to fix it myself, it just won't sound the same.

I wonder if the headphone repair shops fix this kind of things?

Unless you want to do reshells, maybe it's time for another IEM or another pair of TF10's. I prefer the SM3v2's myself to the TF10 (albeit at $350) but honestly the best things in life are worth the money.

The TF10's are sonically very good though once you get past dealing with that cable of theirs (not advertising, just use a Westone cable). They're just shaped like a square peg for a circle if you catch my drift.

The awkward shape is the reason they break all the time... wanna guess why I got my reshells?

If you guessed "because you woke up one day and the cable sockets ripped out of the shells", DING DING DING! :)

Otherwise, they sound really good, scale with amps rather well, and for such a flavored sound (ie colored), it's very receptive and transparent to any changes along the way with your audio system. I can even hear the difference between multiple ipods across several generations as well as my iphone. Not bad! 

Aug 7, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #6,970 of 9,690
Quote:

Unless you want to do reshells, maybe it's time for another IEM or another pair of TF10's. I prefer the SM3v2's myself to the TF10 (albeit at $350) but honestly the best things in life are worth the money.

The TF10's are sonically very good though once you get past dealing with that cable of theirs (not advertising, just use a Westone cable). They're just shaped like a square peg for a circle if you catch my drift.

The awkward shape is the reason they break all the time... wanna guess why I got my reshells?

If you guessed "because you woke up one day and the cable sockets ripped out of the shells", DING DING DING! :)

Otherwise, they sound really good, scale with amps rather well, and for such a flavored sound (ie colored), it's very receptive and transparent to any changes along the way with your audio system. I can even hear the difference between multiple ipods across several generations as well as my iphone. Not bad! 

Haha, thanks for your advice, really appreciate it. :) But since I have no money to reshell or get another IEM I guess I will heed the others' advice and glue the TF10 back together. Its the cheapest way, and if it fails, I can just use my lousier spare IEMs until I get enough money to buy a new one.

Thanks everyone who have helped me! :)

Aug 7, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #6,971 of 9,690
Quote:
Haha, thanks for your advice, really appreciate it. :) But since I have no money to reshell or get another IEM I guess I will heed the others' advice and glue the TF10 back together. Its the cheapest way, and if it fails, I can just use my lousier spare IEMs until I get enough money to buy a new one.

Thanks everyone who have helped me! :)

That sucks if you get a few other guys to pitch in on this thread, I'm willing to donate a few bucks towards you getting a new pair!

It sucks when you're broke and your only nice piece of gear breaks. Been there done that. I was an unemployed student with a broken 2 year old pair of SR-80's once. I'm still broke, but thats because all my money goes to food :X

Aug 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #6,974 of 9,690
Why not? $5 more!

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #6,975 of 9,690
Guys, you really don't have to do this. 'Cos I don't consider my TF10 as 'broken' yet lol. I can still use it if I keep still, then it won't fall out.

Really happy to have a nice and heart-warming community here at Head-Fi, even though I don't post much. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back