Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jan 16, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #5,686 of 9,690

UHA4 would pair very nicely with your TF10s. It has 0.4 ohm output. Adds amazing clarity to the mid range, which the TF10s will greatly benefit from. Has lots of power and it very portable. It also has a DAC so you can hook it up to your PC. This unit is an Arrow killer at a fraction of the cost.
Quote:
Bull, an even smaller, more economical choice is the little E6 ($25 on Amazon from Micca, which also nets you a nice splitter for running two sets of IEM's at once, which I like for ABXing). SQ is vastly superior to the stock ipod touch DAC/Amp and you can boost bass a couple of levels (sometimes nice with rock).  My experiences, however, are with the L9 LOD, which bypasses the built-in DAC on the ipod, so I don't know what you'll get running it straight out of your phone jack.  They supply the cable for that, but I haven't yet tried it.  I'll hook it up to my BB and give Slacker/Pandora a listen later on today and let you know.

I can say that I hook up my Creative Labs Zen to Headroom's TBH that way and I don't notice a HUGE difference in SQ there versus coming straight out of the jack on the player, which says something both for the quality of the TF10's and the DAC/Amp in that player.  However, one thing that the TBH does have and that I miss seeing on other portable DAC/Amps is a crossfeed, which provides a lot of fullness to the sound.  I can definitely tell a difference between SQ when I turn that on/off.  But that's 5X the cost of the E6 and it's a LOT bigger, and more suited for bigger cans.  I'll check out the SQ with the other jack later on and edit this post.

Jan 16, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #5,688 of 9,690
I'm loving my E11 and TF10 rig, its easy,clear and powerful, very musical so of course I need something newer and maybe better. I'm buying an E17 here shortly but before I go there the Fiio replacement cable for UE TF10's and more is an excellent buy. Made these IEM's useable now for me. I flipped the ear pieces so I can put in ear with cord down and the angle moving away from the ear not crowding in toward it. 

Now these IEM's sound excellent and the cord is pretty quiet and sounds good for like $25...its a deal to check out. 
Are you guys gonna jump on the E17????
 or  Sleek audios maybe someday we'll see them

Jan 16, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #5,693 of 9,690

Quote:
As a fellow runner, I urge you to be careful about just how much sound you actually block out with your IEMs, if you are having to share the road/trail with other runners/cyclists.  I'd sacrifice a little noise isolation for increased awareness of what is going on around you.  A runner near hear was killed a few months ago when she turned in front of a cyclist and was hit.  There were other safety issues as well, but it was determined that her headphones were a factor.  It is the reason my Shure e2c's were retired in place of some dinky Sony ear buds.

Just putting it out there.

I know this is a bit off topic, but coincidentally I just came across this article:
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-01-16/deaths-of-headphone-wearing-pedestrians-increase-study-finds.html

Jan 16, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #5,694 of 9,690

Quote:

I know this is a bit off topic, but coincidentally I just came across this article:
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-01-16/deaths-of-headphone-wearing-pedestrians-increase-study-finds.html

Not surprised in the least.  Have to be careful out there.  My turd Sony's are the ones that hang around your ear and the driver faces forward.  Between the fact that they barely fit and the volume being only just loud enough to hear, I remain pretty aware (easily hear bicycle bells).  Sometimes, if it is particularly busy, I take one out altogether.  Be careful out there, folks.

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #5,696 of 9,690
Just scored myself a pair of TF10s. Just wondering if there is any particular brand of cable upgrade which is highly recommended for the TF10s? Would appreciate the advise.

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #5,697 of 9,690

Quote:
Just scored myself a pair of TF10s. Just wondering if there is any particular brand of cable upgrade which is highly recommended for the TF10s? Would appreciate the advise.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/364525/recable-for-ue-triple-fi-10

Also, search within this thread for "recable"  You'll find about 20 options.  I used the Westone's but they are not 'plug-n-play' as you have to do a bit of trimming of the pins and be very careful inserting them as the pins are larger than stock.  If you get something like the Westones, maybe trim the pins shorter than stock so that you will still have the option to revert back to original/smaller pin sizes because the larger pins won't insert as deep and 'stretch' the sockets all the way.  I learned that the hard way, not that I'm going back to stock.  Westone cable is about $40 from their website, you may find it cheaper elsewhere.

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #5,698 of 9,690

Quote:

Chris_Himself's silver cable (rated as the best sounding after market TF10 cable by master joker) or Null Audio Arete (I have this and I love it!)

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #5,699 of 9,690

Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/364525/recable-for-ue-triple-fi-10

Also, search within this thread for "recable"  You'll find about 20 options.  I used the Westone's but they are not 'plug-n-play' as you have to do a bit of trimming of the pins and be very careful inserting them as the pins are larger than stock.  If you get something like the Westones, maybe trim the pins shorter than stock so that you will still have the option to revert back to original/smaller pin sizes because the larger pins won't insert as deep and 'stretch' the sockets all the way.  I learned that the hard way, not that I'm going back to stock.  Westone cable is about $40 from their website, you may find it cheaper elsewhere.

Call me paranoid, but after mine breaking removing the stock cable, I think its a HORRIBLE idea to buy any cable where you would have to do any modifying of it to make it work.

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #5,700 of 9,690
Thanks for the quick response guys. Will definitely check those cables out. 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back