Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Oct 27, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #9,121 of 9,690
Received my FiiO spc (MP4) and have to say,first thing impressed me,wow that microphonics.....Im not convinced at all with this model (as of now).......gonna try next, sunicky and lunashops.....my friendly advice to those who looking for replacement cable first time,just get the $15-$18 cables from those 2 guys,as far as budget and quality goes.....wld've bought 2 cables for the same price spent on this fiio :frowning2: but if its really what fiio claims about the cable and better than those available from them, its worth a shot except that microphonics.....otherwise its as good as electronics (amp/dac-amp)...from our james. :D

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #9,123 of 9,690
I used vsd3s ear hooks/guides for a change as the new cable being so springy and pops out....reason being the tranparent tube used for curve is not strong enough as UE's mem wire (a piece of metal wire used to bend in desired shape)....doing so,it did stay ok to an acceptable level,I wld say, from popping....

And replaced brainwavz grey tips (M of S1) with vsd3s's bi-flange,the result is little evident in contributing snug fit,so a little bass recovered due to it, to my ears....the insertion is bit tricky as the tf10's nozzles are double the tip's tube dia...so while unplugging/replacing these,should hold the blue portion of the ear piece,the larger side to be precise grip, than the black back,gently.....

Oct 29, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #9,124 of 9,690
Just had to replace my stock UE TF10i cable, and after much deliberation opted for a reasonably cheap cable on ebay (about £25 GBP / $40 US).

The new cable has a heavy duty clear plastic coating, AND there is no memory wire around the cables to hold the IEMs in the correct position in my ear – anyone who knows these earphones will appreciate the difference in quality of sound channelled into your ear drums when they are positioned ever so slightly incorrectly. I can feel the cable wanting to pop the IEMs out of my ear and generally after a minute or two and the cable succeeds!

I’m thinking of using a couple of bits of wire (from the inside of those twisty tie cables) and some heatshrink tubing to make my own memory wire / guides. Has anyone done this before, or have any better ideas?! Other than that I need to sit there and hold the IEMs in place. I’ve noticed some people use a bead or something to strap under the chin which might also help.

Any feedback appreciated. Cheers.

Oct 29, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #9,125 of 9,690
  Just had to replace my stock UE TF10i cable, and after much deliberation opted for a reasonably cheap cable on ebay (about £25 GBP / $40 US).

The new cable has a heavy duty clear plastic coating, AND there is no memory wire around the cables to hold the IEMs in the correct position in my ear – anyone who knows these earphones will appreciate the difference in quality of sound channelled into your ear drums when they are positioned ever so slightly incorrectly. I can feel the cable wanting to pop the IEMs out of my ear and generally after a minute or two and the cable succeeds!

I’m thinking of using a couple of bits of wire (from the inside of those twisty tie cables) and some heatshrink tubing to make my own memory wire / guides. Has anyone done this before, or have any better ideas?! Other than that I need to sit there and hold the IEMs in place. I’ve noticed some people use a bead or something to strap under the chin which might also help.

None of my cables have memory wire like the old days. I find they stay on fine using the chin slider/piece. But mine are also made into customs, which helps them fit better of course.

Oct 29, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #9,126 of 9,690

Some IEM's like the Vsonic VSD's come with ear loops the go over the wire and your ear.  Works great on after market cables. 
http://penonaudio.com/Earphones/In-ear-earphone/HiFi/VSONIC-VSD3
You can see them in the accessory pictures.  I am sure you can buy them separate somewhere.....  If not, the VDS3 makes a good everyday walking around IEM.

Oct 29, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #9,127 of 9,690

yes you can try that out as its being done externally,imo....

Oct 30, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #9,128 of 9,690

What happens if you heat the cable with a hair dryer and form an ear hook?

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #9,129 of 9,690
How long do these generally last? With very careful use, will the internals 'give-out' after a certain number of hours? I was thinking about reshelling my TF10s, but do not want to risk them dying right after the reshell.

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #9,130 of 9,690
  How long do these generally last? With very careful use, will the internals 'give-out' after a certain number of hours? I was thinking about reshelling my TF10s, but do not want to risk them dying right after the reshell.

Never read anyone complain driver failure, because of usage. but then head'fier normally would have multiple IEM and TF10 may not get all head time.

As long as you treat it good, it will last more than 5 years IMO. 

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #9,131 of 9,690

I've had mine for 4 years now, no problems.

Nov 6, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #9,132 of 9,690
I had mine for over 4 years as well. It doesn't get that much head time, and works perfectly. But concerns regarding quality are not unfounded. I had the nozzle assembly come apart from the body at one point. It took mighty fine application of gorilla glue to get that part back in. It wasn't broken.. I think the glue used just got old and came apart. As for internal failure, I have no issues. I also have the RC cable from FIIO and using the shirt clip eliminates the microphonics. Sound quality is quite good. I wouldn't put it ahead of pure silver cables, but at this price point, I think it's a very good cable. I had the ES8 Jaben cable before this one and the insulating layer started to crack after 2 years. I only noticed when I got an unpleasant mild shock in the neck area and found the wires to be bare. Anyway, ES8 cables cost more and didn't last very long. I like the quality of the RC cables as well. Good stuff. 

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #9,133 of 9,690

The internals wont die....as the build is stellar....but may be bit cautious is advisbale while replacing tips,cables (pins).....other than that it breathes good.....there were instances where the glued portions came off BUT its not broken (may be one in a 10000 earphones?) ...some sent to re-shelling,some sold as-is condition and some wisely glued them back......but no complaints about drivers died or issues with x-over,that I know of......coz if the drivers and x-over failed we wont able to re-shell.....unless otherwise if a situation arise you can re-shell,like constant fit issues,shell broken or beyond fixable by self etc else its not needed and you are good to save that money,I wld say.....but again its all personal preference.....

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #9,134 of 9,690
I have tried the horribly built Fiio RC-UE2 cable. It fell apart after a couple of weeks and I now have to send it overseas for replacement. Also microphonics ARGH!!!!!!!!!!

Are there any other good cables out there, preferably under 50$. Can extend if something's a tier better?

Any BF deals for cables?

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #9,135 of 9,690
  I have tried the horribly built Fiio RC-UE2 cable. It fell apart after a couple of weeks and I now have to send it overseas for replacement. Also microphonics ARGH!!!!!!!!!!

Are there any other good cables out there, preferably under 50$. Can extend if something's a tier better?

Any BF deals for cables?

I am currently using the UE2 after my $90 cable also broke. Lasted 4 months, sent it back, had it fixed then broke in the same place a month later. I have been through many cables, so far the UE2 is working fine for me, knock on wood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back