Ultimate Ears super.fi 5pro disappointment
Dec 5, 2005 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

D555

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,

Purchased a UE super.fi 5 pro today.

It became very obvious very quickly there is a problem:

These IEMs are so sensititve they easily reveal the residual hiss of connected devices. So far with a direct connection:

Sony MZ-RH10
Sony NW-E507
Sony D-NE10
Sony SRF-M10
Denon home stereo

the hiss is easily heard. It makes low level listening difficult.

This is a major disappointment to me. It's a shame because through the veil of white noise there are some really good sounding IEMs here. Clear highs and smooth midrange while the bass is adequate, certainly not boomy. The soundstage is reasonable and there is a cetain "right-ness" about the sound.

Paul

Dec 5, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #2 of 36
The sq might be slightly affected, but what about sticking a 75ohm (or whatever ohm you choose) adapter in there? It will get rid of the hiss.

Dec 5, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #3 of 36
The simplest way I have found to fix that is by plugging in the volume attenuator included with the super.fi's and then plugging in your headphones. This fixed the hiss completely on sources that I have used. Have you tried this?

Dec 5, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
The simplest way I have found to fix that is by plugging in the volume attenuator included with the super.fi's and then plugging in your headphones. This fixed the hiss completely on sources that I have used. Have you tried this?

yea that lowers the volume on its own and gets rid of hiss. its why they are included

Dec 5, 2005 at 6:38 AM Post #5 of 36
Yep, use the volume attenuator, it works very well...
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #9 of 36
Hello,

Thanks for the suggestions! I tried the attenuator. It reduces the output too much. Using the attenuator, even at a volume setting of 30, the volume is weak. Also, for portable equipment, having that big attenuator at the jack can lead to stress at the headphone jack resulting in broken connections -- especially if carried in the pocket.

Paul

Dec 5, 2005 at 3:18 PM Post #10 of 36
Yep, they are very sensitive. Fortunately my DAP is essentially silent so for portable listening I have no issues. From my work PC I need to use the attenuator to kill the hiss but I just hookup my small amp to push the volume up.

Dec 5, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #11 of 36
Interesting... I haven't noticed any hiss with mine either... Not a bad idea to go with the KSC-75's to be honest, but I think you may want to check out your Super.fi's to see if they're the problem.

Dec 5, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #12 of 36
Whether or not you will hear any hiss is dependant upon what gear you're using them with. iPods, particularly the newer ones (5G for sure and I think the 4G as well) have hiss. Although I prefer the hiss from my 5G iPod to the HDD noise from my Zen Xtra. Many HT receivers will cause hiss as well... IEMs are VERY sensitive, much more so than standard headphones. Combine that with the fact that they block out noise so that any noise they do put out is much louder. The problem is, until very recently, IEMs were not in vogue. Also remember that until recently many of the IEM owners were owners of the Etymotic ER4 series which aren't nearly as sensitive. It's going to be a while, but I suspect that as IEMs gain more and more popularity we will see our amps and sources become less noisy. ...well, I'm hoping anyway.

Dec 5, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #13 of 36
most daps + iems = hiss, iems are great for isolation, but I'm not satisfied with 250 and I really didnt like anything of the spf5p the fit build quality look, they dont sound gorgeous. still I cant say they are an improvement from e3c, wish e3c had better drivers, it was so nicely iftting in my ear. I'm thinking of ksc 75 for portable use and better for home now. I might get a portable e4(black ones, really look good and should feel good small and dense. or e6i later on.

oh and no rmore clear plastics for me, pyuck

Dec 5, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #14 of 36
Simple. Don't buy a Sony
evil_smiley.gif

If you don't want your IEM's to hiss and want to maintain the phone + player arrangement, the only real alternative is to get another source.

Dec 5, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #15 of 36
fwiw the iaudio m3 line out into sr-71 = no hiss with the ue s.fp5. of course you just added us$600 to the price tag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back