Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors (Capitol Studios Collaboration): Announcement and First Impressions
Sep 14, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #77 of 257

Quote:
Another worthy product for the ~$999 category? I wonder how will it fare against the mighty LCD-2
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

They could stuff 400000000 armature drivers into an ear piece, but it will never compare to the LCD2 and many other reference headphones..............just my opinion.........for ultimate resolution, sound needs room to travel.

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #79 of 257

Quote:
They could stuff 400000000 armature drivers into an ear piece, but it will never compare to the LCD2 and many other reference headphones..............just my opinion.........for ultimate resolution, sound needs room to travel.

i would definitely argue that point, from what ive heard the jh-13's keep up very well with the hd800's and the lcd-2's, and then once i heard the 3A..just wow, ive literally never heard that much detail before, that was the other thing that blew me away about them, with the SS being the other.

and i would think that it could be argued even scientifically that travelling further through air would lower resolution

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #80 of 257

Quote:
i would definitely argue that point, from what ive heard the jh-13's keep up very well with the hd800's and the lcd-2's, and then once i heard the 3A..just wow, ive literally never heard that much detail before, that was the other thing that blew me away about them, with the SS being the other.

and i would think that it could be argued even scientifically that travelling further through air would lower resolution

Not at all trying to knock IEMs or people who love IEMs, because I myself love IEMs.....I just want to say that by traveling through the air I don't mean from a great distance.  If you measure sound in a distance of 10 feet for instance, the room plays almost as big a roll as the transducers, but if we're talking headphones there is not going to be any loss of resolution and there is no variable that is going to alter the resolution.  But the benefits that you do experience with a full size headphone which  is why I brought it up when comparing the LCD2, HD800 and other great headphones is, IEMs entirely miss the outer ear.   The outer ear is where the ear grabs sound and through it sends a message to the brain about distance, direction, coordinates it between the two outer ears.  Without this, IEMs can only generate tonal balance and speed of transient and decay and if the pair is good some decent inside the head imaging.  There can never be a large and defined soundstage with IEMs, and based on the components of armature drivers, the transient speed and decay is usually less than optimal when compared with dynamic, orthodynamic and electrostatic.  I still think the tonal balance of my UE10 is on par with any headphone I own, but I don't think they compare in overall sound reproduction.  It's possible that the JH13 up the ante by doubling the drivers but the design principle doesn't change there and there's only so great you can make an in-the-head experience which skips half the ear's anatomy.

Sep 14, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #81 of 257

Quote:
Not at all trying to knock IEMs or people who love IEMs, because I myself love IEMs.....I just want to say that by traveling through the air I don't mean from a great distance.  If you measure sound in a distance of 10 feet for instance, the room plays almost as big a roll as the transducers, but if we're talking headphones there is not going to be any loss of resolution and there is no variable that is going to alter the resolution.  But the benefits that you do experience with a full size headphone which  is why I brought it up when comparing the LCD2, HD800 and other great headphones is, IEMs entirely miss the outer ear.   The outer ear is where the ear grabs sound and through it sends a message to the brain about distance, direction, coordinates it between the two outer ears.  Without this, IEMs can only generate tonal balance and speed of transient and decay and if the pair is good some decent inside the head imaging.  There can never be a large and defined soundstage with IEMs, and based on the components of armature drivers, the transient speed and decay is usually less than optimal when compared with dynamic, orthodynamic and electrostatic.  I still think the tonal balance of my UE10 is on par with any headphone I own, but I don't think they compare in overall sound reproduction.  It's possible that the JH13 up the ante by doubling the drivers but the design principle doesn't change there and there's only so great you can make an in-the-head experience which skips half the ear's anatomy.

Touche. but ill say this again, the best sound stage that ive ever heard with my metal recordings, one in particular, a technical death metal record by the band Origin, "antithesis". it turns out that it is an incredibly well recorded album, youll just never know that till you hear it on the 3A. Its the only headphone that i have ever heard a real sound stage out of that cd. and it literally blew my mind
smily_headphones1.gif
not the hd800's or the lcd-2's could do it as well, though they were on par with the 13's. but i believe that is entirely because of the perfect phase alignment at the ear drum that the 3A can provide, and the phase is where all of the soundstage data is kept...

Sep 14, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #82 of 257
Guys:

Please see my review at About.com about this product, including some comparisons to other leading products:

http://homerecording.about.com/od/audiomonitorreviews/fr/Review-Ultimate-Ears-In-Ear-Reference-Monitors.htm

Sep 14, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #83 of 257

Quote:
Touche. but ill say this again, the best sound stage that ive ever heard with my metal recordings, one in particular, a technical death metal record by the band Origin, "antithesis". it turns out that it is an incredibly well recorded album, youll just never know that till you hear it on the 3A. Its the only headphone that i have ever heard a real sound stage out of that cd. and it literally blew my mind
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" /> not the hd800's or the lcd-2's could do it as well, though they were on par with the 13's. but i believe that is entirely because of the perfect phase alignment at the ear drum that the 3A can provide, and the phase is where all of the soundstage data is kept...

I won't comment on this because I haven't heard the system, it definitely intrigues me.   Guess I'll just have to wait until CanJam 2011........till then I'll have nothing to say on the matter haha

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #84 of 257
Hope to see some comparo against the likes of LCD-2 soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Guys:

Please see my review at About.com about this product, including some comparisons to other leading products:

http://homerecording.about.com/od/audiomonitorreviews/fr/Review-Ultimate-Ears-In-Ear-Reference-Monitors.htm

If I'm going to spend ~$999, I'd spend it on IEMs so I can enjoy|wear it on the go
etysmile.gif

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #85 of 257

Quote:
Hope to see some comparo against the likes of LCD-2 soon
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

If I'm going to spend ~$999, I'd spend it on IEMs so I can enjoy|wear it on the go
etysmile.gif

Well, the JH3A is the same price as two LCD2s.  Boy that LCD2 sure is a bargain huh!  
tongue.gif

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #87 of 257

Quote:
i would disagree completely, with the LCD-2 you would have to go buy a source and amp to go along with it. with the 3A you just need digital input via coax

Not true at all.  All I have to do is pair the LCD2 w/ my clip+ and I'm in audio nirvana.  Have you seen that FRC?!  Geeez!!  
wink_face.gif

Sep 15, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #89 of 257

Quote:
Not true at all.  All I have to do is pair the LCD2 w/ my clip+ and I'm in audio nirvana.  Have you seen that FRC?!  Geeez!!  
wink_face.gif

Frequency response does not exsist in a vacuum and is dependednt on the amp to a large degree, a clip is not likley to provide the same "textbook" response on an LCD-2. Nice try though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back