UK Meet: Saturday November 7th 2009
Aug 13, 2009 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Duggeh

Indeed
The conferance centre won't get back to me about rooms. I am not going to go chasing them with a stick. I have moved my money set aside for organising this in other things and I am now very busy for my upcoming PhD and other personal things which were not as pressing during the time when I had hoped to get this sorted.

If somebody else wants to take this up, in theory it isn't hard. Just get the buggers to talk to you. I'll be first to chip in if someone else manages to get these people off their arses.

Anyway I'm folding. I don't have the time or the spare money anymore. I'm sorry to everybody that this news dissapoints.

My sincere apologies.

Douglas.

Aug 15, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #2 of 33
Whats up with all the UK head-fiers, I thought you would be all over this thread.

You have a well respected member of the forum offering to arrange a meet and nobody is up for it. If I could make it to the UK in November I would be there for sure.

Either nobody has noticed this thread or people are actually happier talking about meets than actually attending one, For the last year or two it's been talk of this town and that town without anything happening.

Well now is your chance, a date and venue have been put up and most important someone has offered to arrange the whole thing. GET ON WITH IT !!!!!

Rant over, well done duggeh. Hope this meet happens.

Aug 16, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 33
Hi Duggeh,

I attended the 2007 meet and would be interested in doing something similar again later in the year.

I thought the Days Inn @ Manchester was an excellent venue with decent function rooms, bar/eating/ sleeping facilities conveniently under one roof. Very usefully, it is also within short walking distance of the train station. Didn't remember it being in a drunken sinkhole LOL!

Manchester is a good place for a curry afterwards (some of us went up to the Rusholme Mile you may recall).

Let's hope there's some interest and it gets off the ground!

As of now, I could bring a Markl D5000, ALO K701, Ety ER4P/S, Benchmark DAC1 and Heed Canamp with me.

Cheers,
Mark

Aug 17, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 33
The joke was obviously poorly worded about drunkenness.

The hotel has decent facilities. Great location. Reasonable rates and should be very flexible in the event that there is a snowball because the conference centre is right next door if we end up wanting more space.

I'm not going to go PMing UK head-fiers (yet). But I'd prefer a fistful of people to say that they could make the date I proposed (or the weekend afterwards perhaps) before I go forward.

Aug 17, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats up with all the UK head-fiers, I thought you would be all over this thread.

You have a well respected member of the forum offering to arrange a meet and nobody is up for it. If I could make it to the UK in November I would be there for sure.

Either nobody has noticed this thread or people are actually happier talking about meets than actually attending one, For the last year or two it's been talk of this town and that town without anything happening.

Well now is your chance, a date and venue have been put up and most important someone has offered to arrange the whole thing. GET ON WITH IT !!!!!

Rant over, well done duggeh. Hope this meet happens.

I hope so too. I don't suppose that you fancy the hop over to attend
smily_headphones1.gif
A shame you can't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Duggeh,

I attended the 2007 meet and would be interested in doing something similar again later in the year.

I thought the Days Inn @ Manchester was an excellent venue with decent function rooms, bar/eating/ sleeping facilities conveniently under one roof. Very usefully, it is also within short walking distance of the train station. Didn't remember it being in a drunken sinkhole LOL!

Manchester is a good place for a curry afterwards (some of us went up to the Rusholme Mile you may recall).

Let's hope there's some interest and it gets off the ground!

As of now, I could bring a Markl D5000, ALO K701, Ety ER4P/S, Benchmark DAC1 and Heed Canamp with me.

Cheers,
Mark

I didn't go for the meal last time (I brought food with me in 2007 to save money) but I should be keen for yummy curry after the fact this time! I'd also look forward to having a wee listen with your Denons
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by niranhopper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi

I am living in manchester and it would be great to have a meet here.

I could possibly bring my RS2, Gilmore lite, Cambridge DAC Magic, K601 and possible HF2 it it arrives by then...

I should hope that you'd have that HF-2 within the next 3 months(ish) before the meet! It'd be excellent if you can make it of course.

Aug 17, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope so too. I don't suppose that you fancy the hop over to attend
smily_headphones1.gif
A shame you can't.

I would love to be there, but I have friends staying with me from 1st - 14th. Maybe next year !!!! Good luck with everything.

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #8 of 33
omegaman, give us a chance to see the thread first!

Duggeh, great work, the other thread did lose its direction. So much for the Oxford meet.

So I'm registering my interest and giving the thread a bump.

One thing might be worth finding out in advance. Are there any suitable unloading areas for the hotel? I mention it since the hotel appears not to have its own parking, and I'm sure people won't want to make several trips to their car with all their gear on display. Or did most people manage to carry all their gear on the train last time?

Cheers.

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #9 of 33
Just seen this thread, well done to Duggeh for taking the bull by the horns. I'm up for this, only a 3 hour drive for me so well do-able & I should be able to bring most of the contents of the kit in my sig. I think either date is ok for me at this point, but I'll double-check with my wife just in case! Cheers.

Aug 17, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by anoobis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
omegaman, give us a chance to see the thread first!

Hey, I gave you all 2 days, how much time do you need
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

It seemed a lot longer, when I posted it seemed to have been up forever. I withdraw my comments
redface.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #11 of 33
Either date is good for me, but saturdays leave me carless - so its the train from Hull. I'll pack what i can carry.

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #12 of 33
Count me in as a 'wanderer' / 'sampler' - and if I have some decent equipment by then, I'll gladly bring it along
biggrin.gif

Hopefully by the time this comes around, I'll be back in work (currently working in a food testing lab on a temporary contract but wanting to get back into proper work!!).

Good choice on Manchester, shouldn't be out of the way for anyone train-wise. When I lived in Southport last year, I frequently travelled cross-country through Manchester Picadilly, it's a surprisingly nice station with plenty of nationwide rail links
smily_headphones1.gif

Only thing is - price. Would it be a two day affair? Do we have any idea of the price of hotel rooms over that period?

[edit] - No preference on the dates on offer
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #13 of 33
I'm interested. Only foreseeable problem for me is cost, as I don't have a job right now, but it's not like I don't have savings (he says
tongue.gif
). The place looks nice just from those pictures, and as I'm car-less a 300m walk from the station is perfect. As for those dates I could do both, and I'll pick the 7th as a preference simply because I'll be going on holiday one week after the 14th, but it doesn't really make any difference. I'm sorry I don't have much equipment to bring though!

Aug 18, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #14 of 33
I'm interested and I could bring some K701s (maybe..), some HD650s and a LDMKIII. The YHA is also 20 minutes away for those on a budget. Even given the cheapness of my planned accommodation cost may be an issue for me. I'll be in the south west at that time and transportation plus a weekend away from studies might not be good for me or my wallet.

Aug 20, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #15 of 33
Guess I'll post just to say I'd be interested in coming, assuming I can find decent transport. As for dates, I'm not sure what I'll be doing in November college-wise, but at the moment both dates seem fine, though I have a slight preference for the 7th November.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back