UK Headfier looking to try Customs
Jun 2, 2011 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Hi-fi Wigwammer

100+ Head-Fier
I've recently been through quite a few pairs of universal IEMs - UM3X, Monster Miles Davis, e-Q7 and JVC FX700. They all had something I enjoyed, but none of them were quite there for me. I like a good deal of immediacy (like my single-ended valve hi-fi at home), with reasonable bass response and smooth extended treble. The FX700s were good, but I found vocals/mids a bit recessed (even after EQ). They did have quite incredible dynamics and scale. In contrast the e-Q7s have great mids and treble, but not quite as good in the bass. Overall I think I prefer them to the FX700s though. They're just sweeter sounding and more natural to my ears. The Miles Davis were just a bit muffled and overly coloured for my liking - fantastic with vocals though.

I''ve decided to take a look into custom IEMs. I do hope i'm doing the right thing here, as i've never heard a pair before.

My budget (inc shipping, import tax etc) is about £700 (I live in the UK). I have earmarked the Unique Melody Mage/Merlin, 1964ears Triple/Quad and the JH5 Pro so far.

Unique Melody customs are now sold within the UK through Ampcity - they can offer a demo model to try first. The UMs do cost a fair bit more than the 1964s, but i'd be able to get an idea of their sonic signature before taking the jump. Which is reassuring, given the costs (and time) involved with customs. How does the Mage compare to the Merlin, as well as the 1964ears?

Can anyone offer some advice on what would likely be a good all-rounder compared to my fave (but flawed) universals (e-Q7 and FX700) please?

I want a good all-rounder - decent bass, mids (must be good with vocals) and smooth extended treble. I know this is a tall ask, since nothing excels everywhere. I just want something that has no obvious weaknesses.

Your thoughts would be most appreciated please.

Thanks

Phil

Jun 2, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #2 of 16
I bought the Minerva Mi-3 customs in the uk, excellent iem.

Here is the link to the thread I started. [=http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/549495/minerva-mi-3-custom-iem-review-and-thoughts][/]

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #3 of 16
Regarding UM customs, 

I'd go for the Mage. Miracle if you can afford it.

The Merlin's strength is its bass, the Mage its mids and highs.  Two different beasts altogether.  Based on your previous IEM's of choice, I think the Mage is the winner. 

Chuck a set of comply tips on the Mage and give it a solid couple of hours to get past brain burn in.  You should be well pleased.

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #4 of 16
Have you looked into the ACS T1s?

Cost me £650 in total and while I'm no expert on describing sound, I think "decent bass, mids (must be good with vocals) and smooth treble" describes them pretty well. Other T1 owners may want to chime in here.

Good review here - http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/498834/acs-t1-customs-review-new-2010-model

Handheld Audio is another place close to you where you can listen to UE and JH demos.

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #5 of 16
I will recommend to buy used JH13Pro/16Pro and send UM for remold.

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 16
Well i've taken the plunge on a pair of used 1964 Quads for $300. I just need to get them remoulded - most likely at Kozee. Or would I be better off getting 1964 or Unique Melody to do them?

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #8 of 16
Kozee seems to be having issues lately with customer service and quality control. It's a one man operation and head-fi is flooding him with orders.

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
Well i've taken the plunge on a pair of used 1964 Quads for $300. I just need to get them remoulded - most likely at Kozee. Or would I be better off getting 1964 or Unique Melody to do them?

uhhh.. Isn't a brand new pair of quads is about $500?

If I am correct UM charges $160 for a reshell, Kozee charges $90, and Fisher Audio also charges $90. Total comes out to around $390-460... for $40-100 more; wouldn't it be better to just buy a brand new set directly from 1964Ears? Thats just my reasoning, but hey, if you can save a buck or two here and there, more power to you.

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #10 of 16
For remolds I would either send them to 1964 Ears or to Unique Melody. I say 1964 Ears because they are the maker of the quads so they know how it should sound so a remold should come out the way it sounds. UM is also a good choice as they have great build quality and their turnover time is accurate. Also if you go through UM Australia like I did they have great CS team.

However if it was me I would go through UM since I do like their build quality the best.

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #11 of 16
Jun 3, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #12 of 16
Thanks for the replies. I've been looking at the various options and am now thinking i'll send them to UM and maybe have them upgraded to six drivers too. This talk of Kozee problems is a concern and I have read countless times that UM quality is top tier.

UM in the US charge $349 to do reshell + 2 extra drivers, which is barely more than UM UK want just to reshell them (£200!!!)
I'll also have at look at UM AUS now.

Jun 3, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #13 of 16
Make sure you factor in shipping taxes and all that jazz.

Jun 6, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #15 of 16
So what do you reckon?
Just get UM to reshell the 1964 Quads, or go for 2 extra drivers (taking them to 6) too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back