[UK] CKKIII amp help wanted
Mar 21, 2020 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

anoobis

500+ Head-Fier
I know, this is a shameful post to put in the DIY forum but here goes.

Many moons ago I put together CKKIII amp, which, amazingly seems/seemed to work. Unfortunately, due to a combination of lack of tools and skill, it was never properly cased, so has been sat gathering dust.

I would really like to use it but it's somewhere between not robust and unsafe. Circumstances have conspired and family concerns mean I simply do not have time to expend on something like this. Does anyone know where I can obtain a suitable, sturdy, case at reasonable cost, where all I really have to do is screw in the boards and connectors? I'm not in a position to start adding holes and fixings. I mention I'm in the UK as that likely affects options and postage.

Hoping someone can help, TIA.

P.S. don't be offended if it takes me a while to respond atm.

Mar 22, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #2 of 3
Does anyone know where I can obtain a suitable, sturdy, case at reasonable cost, where all I really have to do is screw in the boards and connectors?

Such a thing is not possible. If you don't drill the holes, how in the world could this work?

Maybe I misunderstood what you're asking. There are many cases available for purchase, but unless you're willing to draw up a design for the holes used in your build and submit them to a mfr for pricing, you're going to have to drill holes.

Hammond Mfg probably makes some of the best, least expensive casework. Their 1455 series cases are probably the most used around here in the DIY community: https://www.hammfg.com/electronics/small-case/extruded/1455. They can be directly purchased from any of the major electronics houses: Mouser, DigiKey, Newark, Allied, etc. The problem is that the reason they are inexpensive is because they are a large company and manufacture in huge numbers. Because of that, you will have trouble having them punch holes for you unless you buy several dozen.

Another possibility is to contact a casework maker who is willing to customize a single case for you. I had very good experience working with Landfall. It's not cheap (will cost you a few $hundred), but the owner was more than cooperative with every customizing request I had, including engraving the front plate: https://www.landfallsystems.com/

There's also Front Panel Express: https://www.frontpanelexpress.com/. They are super-high quality, but again - probably one of the most expensive casework mfrs out there. Chances are, you could purchase a few dozen customized cases from Hammond Mfg for the same price it will take a single one from FPE. :wink:

Mar 24, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #3 of 3
The CK3 board will slide into the Hammond 1455Q220x rails, but you still need something to keep the board from moving front to back. You'd also have to drill holes for the ports. I don't think there's a solution that wouldn't require some drilling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back