UIUC people: your opinion?
Feb 18, 2005 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
It seems like there are an awful lot of people from UIUC on Head-Fi... so I may as well ask your opinion of the place. (I'm doing the whole college process thing at the moment)

Bonus points if you're an EE. How's life there? What's the good, the bad, the ugly? Do the surrounding cornfields have a good nightlife? (or just bars bars bars and cheap pitchers of tequila)

Feb 18, 2005 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 19
If you don't mind living in a corn field, it's great
600smile.gif
They do have an excellent EE program though.

Feb 18, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 19
Come to UChicago for theoretical sciences! Better than that "real-world" stuff.

Feb 18, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
Papa Del's

Garcia's

White Horse

and Cow Tipping

And don't forget the cows with holes in their stomachs.

Personally, I think UIUC is probably not only the best public engineering school but the best engineering school until you go out to the east or west coasts (just for argument let's say Pittsburgh is close enough to be east coast). The school has a history of achievements including inventing the LED, the process for sound in movies, the plasma TV, log-periodic antenna (the classic rooftop TV antenna), the LET (light emitting transistor, cool stuff), a year or two ago we invented the world's fastest transistor at the time, and we have been a center for supercomputing for decades (UIUC was the first educational institution to have a supercomputer). Former faculty include John Bardeen, inventer of the transistor and recipient of the Nobel Prize twice (transistor and superconductivity). John Bardeen pretty much established the ECE program back in the 1950's. In 2003 two faculty members received the Nobel Prize, one in Physics and I think the other in Chemistry. In fact, all three recipients of the Nobel Prize for Physics in 2003 were at the University but only one is still here (I actually attended a seminar on quantum mechanics by him yesterday).

Other than UIUC, you're looking at places like CMU, Stanford, or MIT but it's more cost effective to goto UIUC. In addition, the fact that it stands alone in the midwest means that you get a lot of attention from companies in the Chicagoland area. For example, there were at least a half dozen trading firms that came down to find CS and Comp E's to do programming work (my roommate interviewed with one for a job when he graduates with his MS in CS and their starting pay was $90K but that's not indicative of the norm). I regularly see recruiters from companies like NVIDIA, IBM, INTEL, Microsoft, etc so the school does get a lot of attention.

The location isn't that bad. It's like an oasis in southern Illinois. We have the conveniences of what you would expect to find in surburbia. We have movie theaters, bars, clubs, cafes, bowling alleys, and a fairly large mall. Plus we're about 2.5 hour straight shot to Chicago so you can always go up there for day trips on the weekends (like head-fi meets). One thing I like about the area is that there's a nice R/C plane club here. Not only that, but a lot of the R/C companies are in the area (Great Planes, JR, Tower Hobbies) and I find that stuff pretty cool. We have a good athletics program, men's basketball is just breaking out this year and out tennis team has been ranked #1 for a few years. Being a large university there are still good opportunities outside of engineering. UIUC is one of the few schools with a veterinary school and has the third largest library of any educational institution in the country.

Anyway, the real point I try to make is that everyone and their brother has heard of MIT and Stanford and most technical people know about CMU. UIUC though is usually one that doesn't register with people but once I started coming here and talking to the faculty and people in the industry I get the impression that it has an excellent reputation. Pretty much though if you can get into any of the big four then choosing between them is pretty much up to your priorities. Specialization in specific fields is more applicable to graduate work unless you want to try and do some undergraduate research. Other factors would be location and costs and like you said, social opportunities. If you're into it, UIUC has the largest Greek (frat and sorority Greek) population in the US.

As to the bad, well, it can't compare to actually being in an urban center like Boston. And you'll get some of the Illinois winters here (but not as severe as in Chicago or Boston). I can't compare it to California cause I've never been there. The housing here is kinda old and can be expensive for what you get (you have shop around early and a lot). There are plenty of new apartment buildings so don't get me wrong, it's just that it can be frustrating to find a decent place when the entire housing community that's within a mile of campus focuses primarily on students.

Feb 18, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #6 of 19
Whenever I talk to Phill, I walk away swollen with pride
wink.gif

Very good post Phill!

UIUC is widely recognized in the industry as one of the best. If recognition within the job market is what you are looking for, UIUC will not disappoint. However, the recognition is not without merit: UIUC's EE program is very difficult, and certainly no walk in the park. You will be challenged, and if you are not on top of your game, you will be buried.

On a side note, I feel like Phill makes UIUC's location sound a bit better than it really is but that's probably because we come from two very different places, and he has a car
tongue.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
Come to UChicago for theoretical sciences! Better than that "real-world" stuff.

I went to UofC for college and go to UofI for law school. You could not pay me to encourage someone to go to UofC. There's a reason that UofC is called "the place where fun comes to die."

Feb 19, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #8 of 19
haha. Cow tipping. I knew a UIUC guy who actually did some of it. Made the farmers mad, as I understand it.

I almost took a job there once, but decided on warmer climes instead.
icon10.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by TenaciousO
I went to UofC for college and go to UofI for law school. You could not pay me to encourage someone to go to UofC. There's a reason that UofC is called "the place where fun comes to die."

Well, I like it.

Feb 19, 2005 at 6:07 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
As to the bad, well, it can't compare to actually being in an urban center like Boston.

Yeah... the one thing I'll really miss about Seattle is the awesome rave scene. (the reason my ER20s get 10 times the usage of my ER4Ss
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Thanks for the comments, though. The letters from the big names (Stanford, Princeton, MIT et al.) arrive in late March, and I'm going to do another round of visits sometime between then and mid April. I'll have to get you guys to give me the insider's ultra-secret hidden-passageway tour
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric343
The letters from the big names (Stanford, Princeton, MIT et al.) arrive in late March, and I'm going to do another round of visits sometime between then and mid April. I'll have to get you guys to give me the insider's ultra-secret hidden-passageway tour
biggrin.gif

I hope you end up getting what will be best for you. I sure had a ball showing you around LA.
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I hope you end up getting what will be best for you. I sure had a ball showing you around LA.
biggrin.gif

I don't know what we would have done without you. (why do you think I'm harassing these guys for a similar tour?
biggrin.gif
)

Feb 19, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #15 of 19
I've been college hunting lately as well, particularly ones with strong Engineering programs. I managed to get over the "I have to get into M.I.T." phase, thankfully, and have been considering CMU, PKI, WPI, and UIUC, mostly. I plan on doing some college vists this year, so we'll see. For the UIUC people, a question: what's your robotics program like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back