uh... how did my transformer die on me?
Feb 21, 2005 at 4:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lan

Videographus Supremus:Makes audio cables using super-advanced materials, like "some clear tape" and "some not so clear tape."
I was just trying out my sealed lead acid battery with recharge circuit and it seemed fine but then when I check back after listening to music I notice the recharge LED wasn't on anymore. Testing the secondaries of the transformer, it measure nothing. Did it die because I was recharging and using it at the same time? Weird.

Feb 23, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 6
Describe transformer?

"Some" have a thermal fuse in series, a continuity check across it would pinpoint that failure mode. In that case it would be that you charged while using or more simply ran it hotter.

Feb 23, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #3 of 6
Unfortunately this transformer is encased in a plastic mold so there's nothing really to see. :/

Feb 23, 2005 at 5:21 AM Post #4 of 6
sounds like it may have but put under too much stress, ie, pulling too much current out of it.

Feb 23, 2005 at 2:53 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Unfortunately this transformer is encased in a plastic mold so there's nothing really to see. :/

With no continuity on the secondary winding it's certainly useless so tear it open (dremel cutting tool around base would probably work) and look for that fuse, show us pics.

There are modern plastics that function as heatsinks, and others that are simply moulded to look something like one but without the needed thermal transfer efficiency, wrong plastic so only a pseudo-'sink. If yours doesn't have a completely epoxied-in coils then removing it from it's plastic housing might allow it to run cooler, providing the fuse is accessible- usually they're on the outer lay of the coil, not buried somewhere in the middle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back