UFC Discussion
Jul 2, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #437 of 584
So Rampage vs Griffin this coming Saturday... Lets start this thread up again.

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #438 of 584
Spiderman will swoop in the first round and catch rampage in a flying armbar.

Jul 2, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #439 of 584
Im so psyched about saturdays fight. I dont even know who Im rooting for. I like both those guys. If I had to make a prediction, I say rampage wins by TKO in the 2nd round.

Jul 2, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #442 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So Rampage vs Griffin this coming Saturday... Lets start this thread up again.

6 months ago I would have said Rampage without question........but with Griffin beating Shogun his last fight I have to rethink things, talking points:

- Shogun beat Rampage badly in Pride match
- I think Shogun was married right before the Griffin fight, so he may not have trained as hard as needed
-Rampage has been very impressive last two fights vs Liddell & Henderson who were at the top of thier game

I would not be surprised if Griffin won but I will take Rampage.
Griffin should try to take Rampage to the ground and not slug it out standing up even with his reach advantage.

Jul 2, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #444 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
6 months ago I would have said Rampage without question........but with Griffin beating Shogun his last fight I have to rethink things, talking points:

- Shogun beat Rampage badly twice in Pride
- I think Shogun was married right before the Griffin fight, so he may not have trained as hard as needed
-Rampage has been very impressive last two fights vs Liddell & Henderson who were at the top of thier game

Griffin should try to take Rampage to the ground and not slug it out standing up even with his reach advantage.

Really doesn't mean much about Shogun beating Rampage. Wand beat Rampage pretty bad twice, then got beat by Chuck, and look what happened to Chuck in both fights against Rampage?

Even though Forrest is tough as nails, I think Rampage may be more than he can handle at this point. I'd have to pick Rampage.

Jul 2, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #445 of 584
Quote:

- Shogun beat Rampage badly twice in Pride

I agree that I'd take Rampage as well, but there are some points I'm not sure about.

I feel the Rampage that Shogun beat isn't the Rampage we see today. One of their fights was somewhat rushed, so Rampage didn't get to fully recover/train.

Shogun just looked horrible the last fight against Griffin, so I don't think it says much. I don't think it holds any weight at all. =T Shogun looked that bad. That I don't see Shogun going far in UFC. The rules are dramatically different than Pride, and I don't see Shogun adapting.

Jul 2, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #446 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really doesn't mean much about Shogun beating Rampage. Wand beat Rampage pretty bad twice, then got beat by Chuck, and look what happened to Chuck in both fights against Rampage?

This sort of reasoning doesn't work. Jardine beat Chuck, Wand lost to Chuck, Wand beat Jardine, so what? Shogun and Wand also fought with new camps for their debuts, that's a big factor I suspect. It comes down more to gameplan and the style matchup, not their record.

Shogun's in his early 20s isn't he? Plenty of time to adapt.

Jul 2, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #447 of 584
I also think Shogun can "adapt" to UFC style since his ground game is very solid unlike Pride fighters like CroCop who have trouble with ground n pound

Anderson Silva is the prototype UFC fighter, such a balanced skill set, hard to see anyone now who can beat him currently......other fighters should take note and adapt
redface.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #448 of 584
Quote:

I also think Shogun can "adapt" to UFC style since his ground game is very solid unlike Pride fighters like CroCop who have trouble with ground n pound

Anderson Silva is the prototype UFC fighter, such a balanced skill set, hard to see anyone now who can beat him currently......other fighters should take note and adapt
redface.gif

Anderson Silva is insane. Someone has to do superhuman **** like a scissor take down into a submission to beat him. As of right now, conventional methods just dont work against him. He's too accurate and ruthless with punches, knees, etc. I think its going to be a while before anyone can give him a solid beating.

Jul 2, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #449 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anderson Silva is insane. Someone has to do superhuman **** like a scissor take down into a submission to beat him. As of right now, conventional methods just dont work against him. He's too accurate and ruthless with punches, knees, etc. I think its going to be a while before anyone can give him a solid beating.

Agreed - nothing short of shooting him would work. He has no weeknesses.

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #450 of 584
It is not too unreasonable to argue that Rampage was winning the fight in the first round of his clash against wand for the second time; the bell saved wand, and then the tie clinch came along that Rampage was not properly trained to guard against.

Rampage in his past two fights seems to be in much better shape, he already has had good wrestling skills and excellent boxing.

What I do wonder is whether he has shown any improvement in his defense against tie clinch in those fights. Sure he looked great but we are yet to see if he really patched up the holes in his game.

I like both fighters, but the only thing I see Griffin has over Rampage is cardio, and Rampage is no slouch at that either. It would come off as a moderate surprise to me if Griffin comes up with a victory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back