UE super.fi 5 Pro question
Aug 28, 2006 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

McFortner

100+ Head-Fier
I got my s.f 5 Pro headseat last week, and I've noticed something about them. They sound about even when first used, then the left earphone sounds louder than the right one after a few minutes of listening, even when I switch them around on the cable. Do I need more "burn-in" on these, or is it something wrong with one of them? I know it is the one marked "left" because it sounds this way with a mono recording, and my other headphones don't have this problem on the same recordings/setup.

I really like these, and I hate to gripe about something that I won, but I am a little confused and curious.
confused.gif

TIA

Michael

Aug 28, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 9
Perhaps you're not getting a proper seal with the left ear piece.

Have you tested the sound levels with other IEM's?

Which tips are you using with the super.fi's?

I believe the general consensus with IEM's is that you don't need to burn them in.

Aug 28, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by cazoo
Perhaps you're not getting a proper seal with the left ear piece.

Have you tested the sound levels with other IEM's?

Which tips are you using with the super.fi's?

I believe the general consensus with IEM's is that you don't need to burn them in.

I've tried them with the foam pieces, the bi-flanges, the medium and the large silicone pieces. I'm getting a good seal with the large and the bi-flanges, and a great one with the foam. I've tried just switching pads as well and still the same problem with the left ear piece.

I know it is not that ear, since I switch sides and the one marked for left is definately at a different volume. Since they are my only IEMs, I don't have anything else to try them out against.

Michael

Aug 28, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 9
What source are you using? Because of the sensitivity of IEMs sometimes small imbalances in volume coming out of your source are more obvious. Also check the acoustic tube for anything that may be clogging it. If you're still having issues, give UE a call and see about getting them replaced.

Aug 28, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by McFortner
I got my s.f 5 Pro headseat last week, and I've noticed something about them. They sound about even when first used, then the left earphone sounds louder than the right one after a few minutes of listening, even when I switch them around on the cable. Do I need more "burn-in" on these, or is it something wrong with one of them? I know it is the one marked "left" because it sounds this way with a mono recording, and my other headphones don't have this problem on the same recordings/setup.

I really like these, and I hate to gripe about something that I won, but I am a little confused and curious.
confused.gif

TIA

Michael

Try this mod to see if it helps.
blink.gif

Aug 28, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 9
8lias,

The fs mod is how I have been using them. They seem to fit better that way on me. But I've tried them both ways and can tell in difference in one IEM over the other, regardless of which ear and which cord it is plugged into.

Drat. I don't know who to take this to, HeadRoom (where I got them) or UE?
confused.gif

And I don't like the idea of not having them for a couple of weeks while I send in the old ones and wait for a new pair. I'm getting spoiled by something that is not a cheap ear bud....

Michael

Aug 30, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #9 of 9
Ok, just for the record, the guys at HeadRoom are great! I emailed them about the problem and they are sending out a replacement pair. Now that is customer service!
etysmile.gif

According to FedEx, the package should get here Friday (I hope!). Well, it may take a while to get up the money (three kids, one premature in NICU) but I will buy from them as soon as I can!

Thanks for all your help!

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back