udac or D10, CMOY or D10
Apr 16, 2010 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

High_Q

1000+ Head-Fier
I have just recently got an ibasso D10, and amped it to my Elekit 882TU, and have noticed that sound quality is not as full as the udac. Is the udac better quality DAC than the D10? To me udac sounds very rich amped with my Elekit tube amp.

I have also noticed that my CMOY with opamp opa2227 outputs much richer sound than my D10. Is it because the CMOY has a higher voltage source(9v)? The specs show that D10o battery is less than 4.5v.

Apr 17, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #2 of 6
High_Q, I can't say for sure if the uDac has a better dac than the D10, but I can tell you that mine also sounds substantially better than I expected. It certainly rivals my ALO Rx for musicality and the full sound you are looking for.

I've seen it rumored that the uDac has a top-shelf Sabre dac chip, but haven't seen this officially confirmed. I believe there was discussion about it in HeadphoneAddict's review of the uDac

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #3 of 6
Have not heard the uDAC, but the udAC is a dedicated DAC. And a good quality one if HeadFi is to be believed. It would not surprise me if its DAC sounds better than the D10's DAC, as the D10 is a DAC/Amp combo. The D10 is also not the best DAC in the iBasso lineup.

You're also comparing the D10 to a uDac + Elekit Tube Amp so it's not just the uDAC fighting the Cobra here. (Of course, the UDAC is like 1/4th the price of the Cobra, and if the Elekit isn't more than $200 or so, then the combo is cheaper than the Cobra!)

*** EDIT just saw the Elekit is like a $400 desktop amp?
Anyway UDAC + Elekit is a desktop solution.
D10 is portable. Fits in your pocket. Would not be surprised that it is outdone by a more expensive desktop solution.

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway UDAC + Elekit is a desktop solution.
D10 is portable. Fits in your pocket. Would not be surprised that it is outdone by a more expensive desktop solution.

What I have meant is I tried both DAC, D10(with amp off) amped with Elekit and udac with the Elekit(it would be an unfair comparison if comparing ibasso amp and elekit amp), and conclude that udac is much better solely as DAC.

In addition, I have noticed comparing CMOY amp and ibasso amp when CMOY has opa2227 in it. CMOY sounds substantially better in my opinion with the opa2227 opamp, and paring it with ipod 5.5g than D10 paired with iriver h120 optical out. I do not see the value in spending $275 on D10 and spending $150 on h120. I would build a CMOY(really easy) and put in the opa2227 and get an ipod 5.5g and you would have a very high quality portable rig that sound ways better than the D10/iriver combo. I think the CMOY is more capable because it has higher voltage, so it can handle better quality opamp.

Apr 22, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #5 of 6
just wondering, between the uDac and iBasso D10... which would sound better directly out of a laptop via USB (without any other amp)?

and if it makes a difference, I will only need it to drive IEMs.

May 7, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
just wondering, between the uDac and iBasso D10... which would sound better directly out of a laptop via USB (without any other amp)?

and if it makes a difference, I will only need it to drive IEMs.

The uDac. I am not a big fan of the D10's DAC.  It sounds no different than typical mp3 player dac.  The D10 sound very flat, no separation.  The uDac on the other hand, sounds very lively, and has great separation.  I have no idea, whats inside it, it is small, but output very lively sound.  For some reason uDac goes very well with my Elekit tube amp.  It sounds great on my solid state vintage onkyo receiver.  If you can't get a quality amp, I recommend getting a vintage solid state receiver, they sound amazing.  You can get a good deal on a vintage model for fraction of cost of a modern high quality solid state amp. 
udac -> vintage solid state -> HD650 =  heaven.  I don't know why HD650 sound much better with my solid state than my tube amp.  I have no more faith in ibasso.  Right now, I feel like ibasso is a marketing gimmick from this website.  Trust your ears!!  Don't rely soley on this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back