Two Towers DVD?
Jan 16, 2003 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

kpfeifle

100+ Head-Fier
Hey All:

Here is a question for you, do you think that the Two Towers DVD (when released), will come in a directors edition longer then the 3 hours 15 min it ran in the movies?

I'm thinking the first movie was cut back because they did not know how popular it would be, so why risk a 3 hour + movie. I'm thinking that with the second, they did not have to do that, so maybe there will be no extended version (just DVD extras). What do you think?

Jan 16, 2003 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 19
I think they'll have an extended version for the Two Towers, as well. Much like the first movie, I'm sure there's plenty of scenes that had to be deleted in the interest of time...

So I'm sure we'll see an extended version... and one after the third one, too.. Maybe even a box set of the extended versions of all three..

Jan 16, 2003 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

So I'm sure we'll see an extended version... and one after the third one, too.. Maybe even a box set of the extended versions of all three..

A big box set would be cool. Do you think at some point they will go back and make "The Hobbit"?

Jan 16, 2003 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

I'm thinking the first movie was cut back because they did not know how popular it would be, so why risk a 3 hour + movie. I'm thinking that with the second, they did not have to do that, so maybe there will be no extended version (just DVD extras).

AFAIK, both the first and the second movies are the same length, approx 3 hours...

I'm sure they will make an extended edition, because it gives the studio the chance to sell 2 sets of DVS's to the fans, ie double the money for the same movie. I'm guessing the release schedule will be similar, normal DVD in the early summer and extended version in the fall.... And after the return of the kings comes out, they'll have super-deluxe box sets containing all three movies, available in extended and theatrical versions of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2003 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 19
If I remember correctly the first movie was about 2 1/2 hours in the theatre. The extended edition added a half hour to make it approx. 3 hours long. The Two Towers was a few seconds shy of 3 hours in the the theatre.

I read an interview with Peter Jackson that said he didn't want to go over 3 hours for the extended edition of the first movie, so I don't know how he would feel about making The Two Towers longer than the 3 hours it already is. I expect the demand would be great enough and pressure from New Line will be enough that we'll see at least a 3 1/2 hour version.

Jan 16, 2003 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 19
I don't think this is quite right...he didn't want to go over three hours for the movie in theaters yes, but why would it be a problem for a DVD? The extended edition for Fellowship is over 3 1/2 hours long. I believe it was almost three hours in the theater, not 2 1/2.

Jan 16, 2003 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 19
Jan 16, 2003 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 19
i imagine two towers will have a theatrical release soon (2:50 long) and then later, an extended edition (3:30+). this system worked very well for the first movie, so i can't imagine them not doing it for the second.

i can't wait to see the extended edition, although i really hope the added scenes are more of the ending sequences (ents, elves) instead of the men of rohan and gundor.

Jan 16, 2003 at 7:47 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
I don't think this is quite right...he didn't want to go over three hours for the movie in theaters yes, but why would it be a problem for a DVD? The extended edition for Fellowship is over 3 1/2 hours long. I believe it was almost three hours in the theater, not 2 1/2.

Hmmm, could be I read it wrong. If I come across the interview again I'll post a link.

Edit: Well yes, I am a moron! I completely read it wrong. Here's a link to the interview for those interested.

Jan 16, 2003 at 8:11 PM Post #10 of 19
Off my playlist:

FOTR Disc1:91:57
FOTR Disc2:85:22

TT Disc 1:87:52
TT Disc 2:87:52

Both are screeners of the theatrical version, so they are the same length
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2003 at 12:14 AM Post #12 of 19
thanks kelly!!

i really should go to that site more...

i am much pleased to think that these scenes will be included in either the ext. edition or RotK. a lot of the details i enjoyed from the books (entdraught, the ents/huorns participation at helm's deep...) and those that would make the movie's plot make more sense ("Aragorn releasing Theodred's horse Brego, the horse that would save him later, from it's stable," and Elrond's going to Lothlorien) would be greatly appreciated by a greedy little knitpicker like me

Jan 17, 2003 at 12:14 AM Post #13 of 19
Ah damn, you posted a link to my site before I got a chance to respond
biggrin.gif

Basically, yes, they are preparing an extended version similar to the Fellowship of the Ring. Peter Jackson doesn't like the term 'Director's Cut' because it suggests that the film that we see at the cinema isn't what he wanted to make, when it was. The extended version is simply for the fans (and to make money - sure), those that want to see as much of the world he created so well as possible.

I'm pretty sure they will also make a big boxed set at the end as well, so I am going to own a LOT of LotR DVD's soon
tongue.gif

As far as The Hobbit goes, Peter Jackson isn't going to make it. He doesn't want to do it. He's spent 8 or so years making these films, and that's an awful lot of time to be doing the same thing. It might get made, but I really have no desire to see it done for a good long while yet.

He has also stated that Return of the King will be 'As long as it needs to be'
biggrin.gif
. So look out for a possible 3.5hr version hitting your cinemas at the end of the year. The movies have made SO much money, that cutting it down to what is normally considered a 'suitable' length for a movie isn't really necessary with the last one. Hopefully it will be awesome
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back