Two LED's, one hole - light pipe?
Feb 25, 2007 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

BradJudy

500+ Head-Fier
I'm rewiring my PPA with built-in STEP and I'm putting separate power LED's on the STEP and PPA (I'm adding a switch in the back to switch the STEP output from the PPA to a DC output jack so I can power other amps off the STEP if I want). I already have a nice FPE front panel that I don't want to drill, so I'm looking for a good option.

Naturally, I could replace the LED with a two color one and be done with it, but the color choices for two color LED's are pretty limited (most are red/green) and I like the blue and amber LED's I already have.

I was hoping to find a simple light pipe that routed two T-1 3/4 LEDs into one lens, but I didn't find one at Digikey or Mouser. If you know of one, speak up - I'm going to try and swing by the local electronics surplus place this week and see what they have for light pipes.

My other, less ideal, option is to simply tape one LED to the back of the other, but it's tough to get that right so that the rear one really comes through.

Yes, this is a non-technical aesthetic issue, but I'd like to make this one nice and clean.

Thanks - Brad.

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #3 of 13
Hey - aethetic issues are the ones you'll see long after you've sealed your project up! More power to ya!

You might start at SuperbrightLEDs.com but I don't remember seeing any good lgihtpipe ideas there. Still a good resource, anyway.

Possibly working with some parts at TAP Plastics.com would get you closer. How about mounting a small triangular piece (like a cube) behind your front panel, then drilling a spot for each LED on opposite sides. Si side A would be blue LED, side B would be amber LED, and side C would be connected to the front panel. Here is where I would start at TAP Plastics.

I thought for sure that Mouser had light pipes...hmm... You might poke around at Jameco. Some company that is often used on these forums has it. I know I've seen them somewhere!

Good luck!

Feb 26, 2007 at 11:36 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by achina /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about an RGB LED?

You could just use Red/Blue/Green independantly or wire it to a small microcontroller and make infinite color combinations.

Yeah, RGB Leds are really common and straight forward to use. That would be my choice too, if I need my led's colour to change.

Feb 27, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey - aethetic issues are the ones you'll see long after you've sealed your project up! More power to ya!!

I agree. Spend the extra time now, or it will thumb it's nose at you, nagging you whenever you look at the amp. You'd have been fine had this never crossed your mind!

I like the RGB LED idea as posted already, but if you wanted to go with some other pair of LEDS, if you use the smaller T1 size, you can bed two of these into a lens designed for a single T1-3/4.

You have to file the tip of each LED a touch, to a slight screwdriver shape. Then squirt a blob of hotmelt into the back of the fresnel lens and shove the pair into the back. It works pretty well, I wish I had a picture to post.

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #7 of 13
Thanks for the links and thoughts. I'll see if I can grab an RGB LED locally and see how well I can adjust the colors. Does it work best to use a set of pots to adjust the colors on these? Or does everyone just do trial and error with resistors?

Feb 27, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it work best to use a set of pots to adjust the colors on these? Or does everyone just do trial and error with resistors?

Never tried it myself... but some small pots would be pretty cool.

Maybe use thermistors.
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #9 of 13
With less patience that is needed for a microcontroller, and some ingenuity, hacksaw, file, drill, or dremel, flame source, and little model glue,you could make your own light pipe from a block of plexi and use the LEDs that you already have.

If you cannot find a block of plexi, go to your locak drug store and see if you can find plastic cuticle pusher with a rubber tip. Cut up the stick and glue together and you have a light pipe. Just make a simple 'Y' shape, concave the ends where the LEDS go (use dremel or drill bit) and polish with flame before attaching the LEDs (glue or tape). Use a flame to polish the split area you cut before gluing. Use the factory round end for the part of the pipe that sticks through the hole and flame it to make it gloss. Shouldn't take much flame to do so or sand with fine paper to make it diffuse more.

I havn't done this.. just thought it up but it should work and be a ton easier than messing with a controller.

Feb 28, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nisbeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*gets new idea. runs off to test it....*
biggrin.gif

/U.

I can see it now, mood LEDs
blink.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was hoping to find a simple light pipe that routed two T-1 3/4 LEDs into one lens, but I didn't find one at Digikey or Mouser. If you know of one, speak up - I'm going to try and swing by the local electronics surplus place this week and see what they have for light pipes.

Hey Brad,

Did you ever figure something out to make this work? I ask because I found the perfect part while canabalizing an old video monitor the other day:

dsc01098xy3.jpg

You could easily cut and shape this as needed to work with two LEDs. The LED shaped dome on the right is 3mm diameter. I could mail this to you for free no problem, PM me if your interested.

Derek.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back