two culture questions
Jul 14, 2003 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

shikeye

New Head-Fier
  1. What does this mean?
    "peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old"
  2. Is this true?
    England is old and small and they started running out of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a "bone-house" and reuse the grave. When reopening these coffins, one out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive. So they thought they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the "graveyard shift") to listen for the bell. Thus, someone could be "saved by the bell" or was considered a "dead ringer". [/list=1]

Jul 14, 2003 at 10:13 AM Post #3 of 10
People weren't actually getting buried alive. People put the string and bell there just in case they weren't actually dead -- it's not like it turned out people were actually being accidentally buried alive.

Do you believe something from a domain name called "youfunny.com"?

Jul 14, 2003 at 10:25 AM Post #4 of 10
I don't know wether this one is true since it sounds reasonable.

smily_headphones1.gif

what about the first question?
I don't know the meaning of the idiom(If it could be called an idiom).
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2003 at 11:55 AM Post #6 of 10
The dead ringer expression may indeed have evolved the way the site suggests, although this researcher seems to prefer another derivation.

Ringer: A "dead ringer" for someone is another person who has a great resemblance to that person. The word 'ringer' originally described a horse used to illegally substitute for another in a race. Why 'ringer' is used has almost defeated my researches; one possibility is that the word, which was once slang for 'counterfeit', was derived from the brass rings sold as gold at country fairs. 'Dead', in this instance is used in the sense of abrupt or exact, like in 'dead stop', or 'dead shot'.

An alternative explanation comes from medieval times. In order to make sure that a buried person was actually dead, a string was sometimes tied to the deceased's wrist and attached to a bell above ground. If he was merely unconscious and woke up, he was able to ring the bell and draw attention to himself - he was a 'dead ringer'. Personally, I don't like this one much, as it has little to do with current usage. However, it could still be the basis, since it has been suggested that someone having a close resemblance to a deceased person was regarded as being the 'dead ringer'.

Jul 15, 2003 at 3:28 AM Post #10 of 10
One of the articles I read mentioned the "detection of brainwaves" as the end of premature burial.
I would think that embalming was used in most of the "Western World"....??? (time for a little research)
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back