Two Contrasting Headphones for Listening to Different Genres
Dec 24, 2013 at 5:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

lisagorbin

100+ Head-Fier
Good day. Im thinking of getting two headphones which have different "flavors" just for variety when im listening to different music genres. It should be under 100$
Right now Im considering Grado SR80i and Creative Aurvana Live.
From what i read on reviews in the forums,
one has forward presentation but lacks soundstage, the other has a good soundstage, one may lack bass but makes up for the attack and detail the other has sufficient bass. Things like that. I hope you get my idea because Im not an native english speaker.
Any other recommendations, or can you chime in on what you think on these headphones that i am considering? Thanks.

Dec 24, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #2 of 16
I like this idea. I take it that the Grados are for guitar-based music. Are you sure you prefer 80i to 60i? Note: you might want L-cushions for the Grados. What is the CAL for?

Dec 24, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #3 of 16
  I like this idea. I take it that the Grados are for guitar-based music. Are you sure you prefer 80i to 60i? Note: you might want L-cushions for the Grados. What is the CAL for?

I read CAL is an "all-rounder", but grado sr80i has a consistent review of lacking soundstage. CAL has decent sounstage to say the least, Ive read. So sometimes when i want soundstage for my music, I will just switch to CAL to hear my music in a different way. Im still not sure on these, im still waiting for suggestions.

Is sr80i not always better than the sr60i? I read sr80i is just the better sr60i?

Dec 24, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #4 of 16
OK. But the Grados are for rock / metal?

Why 80i instead of 60i? Have you tried them yet?

Dec 24, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 16
I thought sr80i is just refined sr60i? I never tried any of these headphones im mentioning because its not readily available in my country.
what do you think of sr60i and sr80i?

Dec 24, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #6 of 16
  I thought sr80i is just refined sr60i? I never tried any of these headphones im mentioning because its not readily available in my country.
what do you think of sr60i and sr80i?

I just want to check that you know they have an accentuated treble, which why they work with guitar (all strings really). I wouldn't call 80i more refined. Maybe they put a little more work into making the driver, but you might actually hear t as less refined. You can tell they're from the same family, the same house sound. 60i is easier to listen to because it's less unbalanced, whereas 80i's treble overwhelms all the other frequencies. Since you haven't yet tried them both, I recommend 60i. And if you get it and the L-cushions, which change the sound and give you more choices, the cost is the same as 80i.

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #8 of 16
Yes, of course, I've tried both. You're not supposed to recommend things you haven't tried yourself. It's a big no-no.

The L-cushions will increase the soundstage a little, the bass, and the sense of speed. I think they're better for rock / metal. Almost everyone finds them more comfortable (but I don't).

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #9 of 16
thanks. and i found your more in depth analyzation of sr60i and sr80i

"It's not especially hard to tell the five SR series apart from one another, and they're different enough that most listeners will have definite preferences. Of the two you mentioned, 60i is simpler and more straightforward. It has a more consistent sound that includes all the ranges more evenly, but every range sounds a little thinner. 80i is overpoweringly bright and might be fatiguing. The bass is harder to hear, but it fuller when you hear it.

80i is one of the harder to like and 60i is the easiest to like. Neither is obviously better: it's a matter of preference. Because of those differences, unless you've listened to 80i and like it, I recommend 60i.

They both come with the same pads: S-cushion. But I'm sure you've read that many buy the L-cushions that come with 225i/325is among others and use them on 60i/80i/125i. The different pads change the sound too. I confess I'm not so good at explaining precisely how, but I like both. Neither is obviously better: that, too, is a matter of preference."

That will save me a little bit of money
smile.gif

I have a feeling i will like the grado sound.

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #10 of 16
biggrin.gif
 Super! And I explained the cushions better this time.

Yeah, it's kind of funny how a classical buff like me ended up advising the metalheads (but I was a metalhead twenty years ago before I was a classical buff).

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #12 of 16
No. Honestly, the higher numbers aren't necessarily better. So I recommend whichever's easiest to listen to. You could easily find 80i's treble offensively hot.

If you're wondering why I bought 80i instead 60i, 80i is the best of the SR series for Bach's organ works.

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #13 of 16
Alright. So it is safe to say that sr60i is almost the same as sr80i but less fatiguing/less harsh/ less bright?
and what do you mean by this: "but every range sounds a little thinner"
(pardon me for a lot of follow up questions)

and by the way, i guess this will help. these are some of the musicians i listen to (don't judge me
biggrin.gif
)
the black keys
arcade fire
adele
mumford and sons
bon iver
amywine house

there. so still sr60i + L cush?

Dec 24, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #14 of 16
The ranges sound less full-bodied than they do on 80i, but you can hear them all better (except the treble, which there's plenty of anyway) because they're less unbalanced than 80i. So, yup, 60i + L-cush. Especially as they use the same materials apart from the drivers: it's not as if you get a better headband with 80i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back