tweeter (metal vs. soft dome) preference and headphone preference
Apr 27, 2003 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Daemoth

100+ Head-Fier
I know many people here own pretty expensive speaker system in addition to their headphone setups so I have a question. Do you prefer metal dome tweeters or soft dome tweeters, why you prefer one over the other, and what is your favorite headphone(s)?

I'm asking this because I'm planning to build a pair of 2-way speakers this summer and I can't decide whether to get an Audax TW025A8 metal dome tweeter or an Scan-Speak D2905/950000 soft dome tweeter. I'll be using a Audax HDA HM210Z12 8" woofer with it crossed at around 1800-2000 hz with a Linkwitz-Riley 2nd order crossover.

I'm going to drive them with an ten year older Harman/Kardon receiver I have lying around until I can get something better. The CD-player I will be using is an NAD 541i.

I have HD-600s with a Corda HA-1 and really like it for bands like Godspeed You Black Emperor, Sigur Ros, and a few IDM (BoC, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher) groups. But it kinda leaves something to be desired for rock bands I like, Tool, NIN, PJ Harvey, Ben Folds, and similar. So with my speaker system I want something leaning towards the more mainstream rock end of the spectrum but still maintaining good qualities for the electronic and Godspeed/Sigur rock bands.

Apr 27, 2003 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 17
The scan-speak is a really nice tweeter. I am not familiar with the audax unit so I cant comment on it. I generally prefer soft domes myself, as they are easier to listen to. I actually have a metal dome on my jm labs, however, and its excellent. But the jm lab tweeter is an inverted metal dome vs a traditional dome design, and it doesnt seem peaky or edgy while being very fast and clear. The one thing to remember is metal domes are generally more rugged and can therefore accept the lower crossover point you will be using (12 db/ 2nd order crossover ?) at 1800-2000khz.
In general, to me, metal domes seem faster and more resolving but can be edgy, where soft domes seem warmer and less extended, but more forgiving. Given your stated preferances though, the metal dome looks like the better choice for your intended music application. This is asuming you will upgrade your amp in the future, a thinner sounding amp like you have would probably benefit from a soft dome if you keep using it.
As for headphones I prefer grado sr-225s. They are the least bright grado through the upper midrange; but they have the grado speed, dynamics and impact. Intrestingly, the grados and jm labs have a very similar signature emphasizing speed and dynamics and resolution.I hope this helps.
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2003 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 17
My preference is soft-dome (not as sharp) for music. However, metal-dome kick ass for home theater because of their sharpness (although they can be fatiguing for music).

Apr 27, 2003 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 17
sacd lover: Nice description. It might be worth mentioning, though, that JM Lab speakers are available separately under the Focal label.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Apr 27, 2003 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 17
I agree with everything that's been said so far. Personally, I'd go with metal dome tweeters for home theatre, and soft dome tweeters for music. Metal dome tweeters get fatiguing with music, unless you have an exceptionally forgiving amplifier.

Apr 28, 2003 at 2:46 AM Post #6 of 17
Thanks to everyone so far. I never thought about the fact that metal dome tweeters are more rugged. That definitely tips the scales towards it for now. I wasn't planning to until next summer, but it would be possible to buy a new amplifier. Does anyone have any recommendations on what would be a good amplifier or amp company to match what will be my setup (at $500 or below.... possibly $600 or below.)?

Apr 28, 2003 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 17
With metal-dome, make sure you get an amp that has a reputation for being "laid-back" in presentation.

Apr 28, 2003 at 3:58 AM Post #8 of 17
I'd agree with what's been said as well. I think you have to consider the gear you'll be pairing the speakers with and room acoustics as well. Typically I like soft dome types but have heard some really good metal tweeters too. A lot will depend on crossover quality and implementation as well.

Apr 28, 2003 at 4:04 AM Post #9 of 17
Amp wise, if you have ANY experience with DIY at all, or a desire to learn, I would build a pair of Paramour monoblocks. GREAT value, and they would soften up the sound out of those metal tweeters.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2003 at 4:15 AM Post #10 of 17
Usually the soft domes offer a more soft, refined and warm musical performance and a softer edge, IMO more pleasant to the ears, than the metal domes, these are faster but a little piercing to the ears, a more sharp sound, even when there are a few metal domes very good and with very musical sound, I still preffer the soft domes. If you can, go for the Scan-Peak, you can't go wrong with them, Scan-Peak, Vifa, Morel, are my favorites among the rest...

Apr 28, 2003 at 10:54 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by stallion11msu
Amp wise, if you have ANY experience with DIY at all, or a desire to learn, I would build a pair of Paramour monoblocks. GREAT value, and they would soften up the sound out of those metal tweeters.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, that looks like something I want to look into more, though the power output, I fear, might be too low
frown.gif

Apr 29, 2003 at 1:09 AM Post #12 of 17
I found that I don't have a particular preference for one type. Well-executed (and expensive) designs of both metal and soft domes -- the tweeters on the B&W Nautilus Series and the Dynaudio Esotar, for example -- are both superb, and I would find it very difficult to choose between these two tweeter designs in the speakers I have heard them implemented in. That being said, I have found that I generally prefer the sound of soft domes on lower-end speakers because cheaper metal domes do have a tendency to become strident, especially at higher volumes. The trade-off with cheaper soft domes is a perceived softening of dynamics and lack of extension, which to my ear is preferable to harsh.

I think the same more or less applies to headphones. While my personal "reference" headphone is the HD600, I also admire very much the Grado RS1. In fact, I would have bought the RS1 for myself, if I wasn't able to get a new HD600 and a very slightly used W1000 for only a bit more than a new RS1. However, in the lower echelons, I personally find the Grados rather harsh, and prefer (generally -- Senn makes some dogs too) the Senn sound. Personally, I didn't care too much for the W1000 when I got them, but either they're breaking in nicely (well over 200 hours on them now) or I'm getting used to their sound. I found their tonal balance a bit lightweight when I first received them, but now am learning to appreciate them more and more. In fact, I did a little interconnect upgrade on my heaphone system, and like them quite a bit now.

Apr 29, 2003 at 7:57 PM Post #13 of 17
Daemoth,

I'm not familiar with that particular Audax driver but my Swans use Audax drivers with a Morell soft dome tweeter. In my opinion it's a very nice pairing.

Apr 30, 2003 at 3:50 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by sacd lover
I generally prefer soft domes myself, as they are easier to listen to. I actually have a metal dome on my jm labs, however, and its excellent. But the jm lab tweeter is an inverted metal dome vs a traditional dome design, and it doesnt seem peaky or edgy while being very fast and clear.

With that bit of info about jm labs inverted metal dome tweeters and lini's comment about them being under the focal label. I went to the store and tried out the JM Labs Chorus 715 and PSB Image 6T (happened to be sitting right next to the JMs and it uses a normal metal dome tweeter). Both were hooked up to a NAD receiver coming out of a NAD 540 cdp. I must say, I like what I heard from the Chorus 715, it was very refined and detailed in the highs and didn't come off as edgy at all to me. I liked it, I think I'm going to look into Focal tweeters now. The PSB wasn't all that bad either (but not as good), but the thing that got me was while listening to Tool - The Grudge, it actually kinda hurt my right ear (which has some hearing damage) and was very piercing at high volumes for part of the song. So I'm kinda leery of buying a metal dome tweeter I haven't heard all that much now. I wish there was a way to clone my left ear and put it where my right ear is. The left ear didn't have any problems.

May 7, 2003 at 12:21 PM Post #15 of 17
Daemoth: Do you happen to smoke? I do (usually ~ 1 pack each day) - and I noticed a connection between that and the unpleasant distortion I sometimes get in my right ear: When I smoke too much, the distortion will most likely show up - but it can be helped with a little aspirin, so it's obviously a problem of blood circulation... Drinking a lot of water is also helpful.

Well, back to topic: Focal's inversed tweeter comes in several generations and price classes. I already like the regular one in my Opal 607 JM Labs. What you've heard in the Chorus 715 is the next generation with additional titanium oxid coating. Whereas the recent Grande Utopia model already carries the newest generation which makes use of beryllium.

Anyway, metal tweeters usually need more burn-in time than soft domes to smoothen out - so for auditioning/comparision it advisable to ask how long the particular units have been already run (which could have been a reason for the edgier sound of the PSBs...).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back