TV doesn't have a headphone jack :(
Nov 7, 2012 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ropeadope

100+ Head-Fier
Heya! I looked at all the forums and couldn't decide where to post this. This forum seems somewhat appropriate, but feel free to move it.

I got a fancy new TV only to found out there is no port for headphones. I'm a night owl so I can't have the TV on when everyone else in the house is sleeping. So I need to be able to use headphones. Probably something I should have checked out before I bought the TV but I kinda just figured every TV these days would have a headphone jack of some sort.

Here is my exact model of TV with all the details/specs: http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-L42D30

I have a headphone amp and I was wondering if I could perhaps just hook my amp up to the TV somehow, but I'm not tech-savvy when it comes to this kind of stuff, so I don't even know what connecters the amp I'm using right now has. It has two connectors coming out the back, each going into white circular sockets. The cables are "Ixos" brand. The headphone amp itself is a headsave classic v2, probably too old of an amp for anyone here to recognize...oh, I found a picture of it through forum search, doesn't show the back though unfortunately :frowning2: http://www.topoftheslide.net/pics/a80/classicand595.jpg

Sorry I'm a dope :frowning2: but any help would be appreciated.

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 12
Looking at the TV's specs the only way to get audio out into a device is to use the Optical out ( Digital ).

Something like this will work.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Converter-Adapter-Includes/dp/B003OND0N4/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1352329419&sr=8-11&keywords=toslink+digital+audio+splitter

Basically you need a DAC to convert the digital signal from your TV to something your headphones can use.  If you have a stereo receiver in the room already you may be able to run the Optical out from the TV to that and then use the stereo receivers headphone jack if it has one.

Otherwise the simple DAC seen in the amazon link above will work well.  You will need an optical cable of course if your TV did not come with one.  You can probably find a cheap cable and a DAC that has optical in and a stereo jack out at a Radio or similar electronics store.

Just remember that your TV only has optical out for audio and that you need a DAC to that can take Optical in that also has stereo out.  The DAC could also have RCA out and you can convert that using an RCA to stereo female plug like this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-To-Go-03182-Y-Cable/dp/B0002GUBIS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352329738&sr=8-1&keywords=female+to+rca

Hope that helps.

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 12
Look at the back of the TV and see if there isn't a pair of RCA audio o/p jacks. if there are buy a cable that looks like this.

11O0r1Ihm6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
Heya! I looked at all the forums and couldn't decide where to post this. This forum seems somewhat appropriate, but feel free to move it.

I got a fancy new TV only to found out there is no port for headphones. I'm a night owl so I can't have the TV on when everyone else in the house is sleeping. So I need to be able to use headphones. Probably something I should have checked out before I bought the TV but I kinda just figured every TV these days would have a headphone jack of some sort.

Here is my exact model of TV with all the details/specs: http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-L42D30

I have a headphone amp and I was wondering if I could perhaps just hook my amp up to the TV somehow, but I'm not tech-savvy when it comes to this kind of stuff, so I don't even know what connecters the amp I'm using right now has. It has two connectors coming out the back, each going into white circular sockets. The cables are "Ixos" brand. The headphone amp itself is a headsave classic v2, probably too old of an amp for anyone here to recognize...oh, I found a picture of it through forum search, doesn't show the back though unfortunately :frowning2: http://www.topoftheslide.net/pics/a80/classicand595.jpg

The two connectors on the back are the RCA analog audio inputs, you can see the thin lines, red (right) and black (left) channel markings on them.

Where you looking for regular 2-channel stereo sound or 5.1 surround sound.
Are you using a cable box or Satellite box?
Is there a home receiver hooked in there somewhere?

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #7 of 12
What I did for my new Samsung Smart TV without a headphone jack was to get a Fiio D3 to get the cheapest optical DAC possible and use the optical audio out of the TV. As it's only a line output without a headphone jack I attached a cheap volume attenuator to it ($6 at ratshack) in order to control the volume, but for good sound a separate amp would be better, obviously.

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 12
Many thanks for the help! I guess my headphone amp won't play a part in this.

Just what I need, more wires in my computer/TV station :p - Aye why couldn't it just have a little headphone jack.

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #10 of 12
You can use the amp if you want.  Like people have been saying, you just need a DAC with a S/PDIF input (e.g. FiiO D3 for a cheap option), so you can get data out of the TV and have that converted into an analog signal.  Run the output of the DAC to your amp.

Nov 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
You can use the amp if you want.  Like people have been saying, you just need a DAC with a S/PDIF input (e.g. FiiO D3 for a cheap option), so you can get data out of the TV and have that converted into an analog signal.  Run the output of the DAC to your amp.

which btw will sound infinitely better than anything that would have been provided in a tv.

Jan 28, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #12 of 12
It looks as if your model has an 'audio optical digital output' Redwhizz have a TV headphone amplifier (digiwhizz) which converts optical or coaxial (SPDIF) from the TV to an amplified headphone output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back