TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Feb 26, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #2,281 of 3,585
Feb 26, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #2,282 of 3,585
My current SL-7 had the same problem, and this was, even without a manual, quite easily fixed. Then again i have a thing for technic stuff.

Nice to hear. It is easy enough with some logic, but is no simplicity of say a Rega/Project.

Can be "anything"; luckily enough, have yet to experience real electronic failure in any of my Technics tables.

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #2,283 of 3,585
for 20+ years there has been  a sl1200 in my attic. the bearing is jammed in crooked. I could not get it out in a reasonable fashion. I have completely overhauled those things. so I have no idea how it got stuck so good. I forgot to return it at the time.  I mean I know I could get it out if I break other things.

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #2,284 of 3,585
  for 20+ years there has been  a sl1200 in my attic. the bearing is jammed in crooked. I could not get it out in a reasonable fashion. I have completely overhauled those things. so I have no idea how it got stuck so good. I forgot to return it at the time.  I mean I know I could get it out if I break other things.

It *can* be released - if the poor owner is not watching... - not for the faint at heart.

Whether it would still be rebuildable with normal spec afterwards is another question. Your best bet would be looking for parts for SL1200 on ebay - and hope not to pay for it trough the nose...

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #2,285 of 3,585
well I don't even have a use for that tt anymore really. I figured if there was a way to pull it out id go for it. I know I can get the windings assy. I might as well just buy a used one if I wanted it still. I figured I could get it out with the hydraulic press in reverse. I thought of that years ago. the thing is then I pretty much destroyed it. heck, I might as well since I have no plans to use it anyways.

with a arm that is not a bad tt. I have better now though.  good modern tt's the bearing is usually easily serviceable. i don't feel like selling it. it is a brand new defective item in a time machine though.

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #2,286 of 3,585
I really want to get a turntable but reading that opening post on how to set it up is very intimidating. =\ I really don't think I have the technical prowess to do all that accurately on my own. *sigh* That being said, I still need to get a turntable set up of my own. Maybe I'll get something basic that I know I can figure out...

Remember there is always another easy option! A lot of stereo shops will sell a basic Pro-Ject or Music Hall turntable with a decent enough phono cartridge already installed and aligned. Nothing you need to do but plug it in and enjoy :D

Actually when I bought my Benz cartridge from my local dealer, he insisted that he be able to install it for me! I didn't really want this, but it was something they include as part of their service when you buy a cartridge from them, no extra price, but it did mean hauling my turntable into their shop. And of course after he was done, I took it home, listened to it, and made a few tweaks anyway :D

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #2,287 of 3,585
  well I don't even have a use for that tt anymore really. I figured if there was a way to pull it out id go for it. I know I can get the windings assy. I might as well just buy a used one if I wanted it still. I figured I could get it out with the hydraulic press in reverse. I thought of that years ago. the thing is then I pretty much destroyed it. heck, I might as well since I have no plans to use it anyways.

with a arm that is not a bad tt. I have better now though.  good modern tt's the bearing is usually easily serviceable. i don't feel like selling it. it is a brand new defective item in a time machine though.

If you need any help there are threads on Audiokarma totally devoted to the Technics 1200, parts and all.  Since the 1200 is no longer made all parts are valuable. 

On that note I'll post my latest purchase, Technics 1200MK2 with a Denon 103R cart when it comes in.

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #2,291 of 3,585
Alright I'm going to toss this question out here (slightly tipsy so just ignore if I'm in the wrong thread).

Been looking to get a vinyl setup but I'm inexperienced.  So over the past few months I've done some reading and looked around the web at what people tables seem to think are quality.  Some of the belt driven tables are really gorgeous but I get the impression that a decent direct drive table is less hassle (??? maybe?).

The two that stuck out and appealed to me as solid long term options were:

-VPI classic:  seems like a really solid table but I don't want to fork over that price tag just starting out.
  -Technics sl1200mk2: which is no longer in production, and prices are all over the place.  Also apparently its kind of dicey on the used market because they can be kind of abused DJ tables?

So I guess my first question is; Does Technics currently have any comparable direct drive tables to the sl1200mk2 currently in production? Or what would be a good direct drive option under 1k if there are any? They seem to have a reputation as a solid workhorse, which appeals to me before I start fiddling with things.

Was kind of thinking something in that 1k or less price range to get started before I just jump into (what I consider) the deep end of multiple thousands of dollars gear. 

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #2,292 of 3,585
  Alright I'm going to toss this question out here (slightly tipsy so just ignore if I'm in the wrong thread).

Been looking to get a vinyl setup but I'm inexperienced.  So over the past few months I've done some reading and looked around the web at what people tables seem to think are quality.  Some of the belt driven tables are really gorgeous but I get the impression that a decent direct drive table is less hassle (??? maybe?).

The two that stuck out and appealed to me as solid long term options were:

-VPI classic:  seems like a really solid table but I don't want to fork over that price tag just starting out.
  -Technics sl1200mk2: which is no longer in production, and prices are all over the place.  Also apparently its kind of dicey on the used market because they can be kind of abused DJ tables?

So I guess my first question is; Does Technics currently have any comparable direct drive tables to the sl1200mk2 currently in production? Or what would be a good direct drive option under 1k if there are any? They seem to have a reputation as a solid workhorse, which appeals to me before I start fiddling with things.

Was kind of thinking something in that 1k or less price range to get started before I just jump into (what I consider) the deep end of multiple thousands of dollars gear. 

I've spent countless hours on your question as I have been mulling over the same two TT's myself.

I was recently bidding on a lightly used VPI classic from a good dealer on eBay till the price jumped from $2500 to 3000 without a cart it can get rather pricey. So I went with the Technics 1200MK2. 

On the down side the Technics line has been discontinued, on the upside they made a bunch of 1200's.

The Technics 1200MK2  is a vintage TT that is one of the finest TT's ever made, if you can buy a used (not a DJ table) in really good condition you can still pay less than a $1000 and spend more on the cartridge, thats what I opted for and so far no regrets.

Good hunting and I'll post my own pics and cart.

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #2,293 of 3,585
  I've spent countless hours on your question as I have been mulling over the same two TT's myself.

I was recently bidding on a lightly used VPI classic from a good dealer on eBay till the price jumped from $2500 to 3000 without a cart it can get rather pricey. So I went with the Technics 1200MK2. 

On the down side the Technics line has been discontinued, on the upside they made a bunch of 1200's.

The Technics 1200MK2  is a vintage TT that is one of the finest TT's ever made, if you can buy a used (not a DJ table) in really good condition you can still pay less than a $1000 and spend more on the cartridge, thats what I opted for and so far no regrets.

Good hunting and I'll post my own pics and cart.

Not much to add. Technics SL1210MK5 was the very last device actually still carrying Technics name - Matsu****a phased out anything Technics around the turn of the millenium, the sole banner holder for the once mighty brand name remaining the 1210 . 

1200/1210 is the most prolific TT ever built; I believe it can be sustained for the forseable future, if not otherwise, by canibalizing another 1200/1210. But there were other Technics or Panasonic models, which are comparable in quality and are much less observable on the audiophile radar; these, although far more rare than "you can not walk without squashing some" SL 1200/1210 , can be had for con$iderably le$$ and may be better suited to audiophile needs. 

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #2,294 of 3,585
Couple of things to think about first (if I missed it let me know)

does your amp have phono input ? If not, you have to price in a phono stage because you can't just plug in a TT to a line level input.

There are many great sub-$1000 level tables that will introduce you to the world of vinyl if you don't want to go used or legacy

some examples

Not my favorite BUT
http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-Debut-Carbon-White-Turntable/dp/B008RA9YSE/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1393699424&sr=8-7&keywords=pro-ject+turntable

http://www.amazon.com/REGA-RP1-TURNTABLE-COOL-GRAY/dp/B004B3GELG/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393699506&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=regaturntable

http://www.amazon.com/Thorens-TD-190-2-Three-Speed-Turntable-Cartridge/dp/B001TKWDYQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393699541&sr=8-2&keywords=thorens+turntable

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP1240-USB-Direct-Turntable/dp/B007R9B0UQ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1393699593&sr=8-9&keywords=audio+technica+turntable

I would think a Technics SL1200MKII would be better quality but again, you would have to search CL so you could see it in person or take a chance on one like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audiophile-Use-Technics-SL-1200MK2-Turntable-Cover-HeadShell-Cartridge-Mat-/231162808621?pt=US_DJ_Turntables&hash=item35d260892d

Used by an audiophile, not a DJ

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #2,295 of 3,585
Before

After

Users who are viewing this thread

Back