Turntable restore project is complete
Jan 12, 2014 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

arcorob

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, so take a ratty looking but operational Pioneer PL-600 and turn it into a sweet table. Mechanically it worked very well...but pitted and butt ugly. Paid $42 plus $30 shipping (pay attention those looking for how to save money by buying a vintage table). This was a fun and EASY project..not a hard table to dismantle Now she looks like this...I just wish the RED would show up as well on my camera phone...lol

First picture is with my wife's phone (so you can see it really is RED)...My pictures look pinkish

What it started out as

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 16
Wow..not one comment...Its a turntable guys..you put a vinyl record on it, it spins and plays music...sort of like a big CD but better...LOL

Jan 13, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #4 of 16
Nice job!!!

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #5 of 16
Thanks guys...if you like vintage tables, you can imagine what it was like to take a vintage (and well regarded table) in awful shape and give it a modern look. She runs and plays amazing...I have an AT440MLa cart on it so good quality there and if you see the specs on these.....VERY low w&f..

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #7 of 16
I'd love to get a Pioneer PL-5x0 that's restored. I love the look of the woodies.

So find one..DO IT...I have another I am going to redo. It doesn't need restoration, it is a fully working PL-500 but it is plain looking...so....LOL..thinking Melina Blue

Jan 15, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #8 of 16
Maybe jazz it up with a cork mat !!

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #9 of 16
Which one? The first project or the new project ? LOL...I have cork mats, felt mats...etc...Its a shame the felt mats make static because I always liked the JET BLACK smooth look...

Table on the left I built myself...and it has the felt mat

Here is another I built..same box design, different plinth top and arm

And here is my old Marantz 3350 with a cork mat under a felt mat...no VTA on the arm and with the low slung ADC ZLM, had to get some platter height

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #12 of 16
  So good to see some TT related post on here! They go under appreciated on this forum!

Not on my watch...LOL

I have done a number of turntable restores...it is amazing because some have been no harder than fixing a knob and adding a cool wood base...

besides the sound of vinyl, there is a coolness to the "looks" of these machines. Its sort of like being a cigar lover. You smoke the cigars and that's the net purpose, but maybe you like really cool looking humidors...

Here was one of my favorite restores. I paid next to nothing for it because the start knob was off (it needed to be glued back on its mount...lol)..Glued it, cleaned it, built a cool wood base and found it a good home.. Kinda wish I still had it..she was sweet ..

Sansui Classic

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #13 of 16
Yes, I completely agree. Great work BTW! I have a modern table but now that I have modified it I have become much more conforteble with the idea of restoring an old one. The principle bebind them is wonderfully simple.

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #14 of 16
Maybe this will inspire me to refurb. my Thorens TD160.
Perhaps a new plinth !!

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #15 of 16
Go for it ! I have seem some REALLY beautiful Thorens plinths ...I have a buddy who does them...STUNNING ..and a great table to boot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back