turntable recommendations + where to buy?
Dec 18, 2003 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

aroon

100+ Head-Fier
ive been searching ebay for a while but i cant seem to find just what i want. to be honest i dont even know much about turntables. my parents have a technics sl-qx300 and it sounds damn good to me so im trying to find one of those used. of course, ive tried ebay but does anyone know of any otherplaces online that sell older new/used turntables? or even in the nyc or pittsburg PA area?

also, if anyone wants to recommend a turntable that i could probably find used really cheap id appreciate it. ive seen a lot going for well over $250, $2000 etc which is out of my price range. im looking for more like under 100 dollars and im definitely willing to purchase old and used [hence looking for the technics sl-qx300 since i know its old and used but still sounds good].

thanks guys

Dec 19, 2003 at 5:16 AM Post #3 of 6
Check out Todd's inventory. There is a link in mall-fi and on the home page of this forum. He'll also give you some good buying advice.

Dec 19, 2003 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 6
if you are just looking to play records that you have, you could probably find something...but if you are interested in it being a hifi experience that will beat cd, I would be surprised if you could find a 100 dollar player that would beat a decent cd player. Also, keep in mind that unless your preamp has a phono stage, you will need to buy one as well. It would take a hell of a lot of research and luck to put together a decent vinyl system for under 100 bucks...Check Todd, but for that money, you might need to find someone who is getting rid of an old vinyl rig, that does not know its value. Estate sales, garage sales and so forth.

edit: Otherwise I would say your best option is to save up for a music hall table. The MMF-2.1 is 300 dollars at audioadvisor, and you could probably find an MMF-1 around somewhere for less than that -- it should be around 200 or less. One thing to note, turntables are not the best things to buy used -- there is no way to judge how used a cartridge is, and an old damaged one will do more than just sound bad -- it will damage your records. They are also usually very delicate, so it is best to get one new, even if it is not very expensive. Anyway, that's just my opinion, but I would try to save for a entry level music hall.

Dec 20, 2003 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 6
interesting...

well you guessed it, im not really looking for better than cd quality experience. ive only got two records anyway so i dont feel like dumping too much money into this. may be if my collection grows ill upgrade but for now i guess ill stick cheap. thnx for the info about cartridges, i had no idea. ill be sure to buy a new one, losing half my collection ot a crap cartridge would really suck.

i asked my parents how much they got their sl-qx300 for [they bought it 20 years ago] and they said about $250 [new]. oh how i wish i could still find it that cheap new. the thing really sounds incredibly, im considering stealing it =p

but seriously why are they so expensive now anyway? simply decreased supply? no one really wants them cept dj's and audiophiles so they only bother making damn good ones?

Dec 20, 2003 at 3:43 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by aroon
but seriously why are they so expensive now anyway? simply decreased supply? no one really wants them cept dj's and audiophiles so they only bother making damn good ones?

Yes, quite so. And just btw, I know that Technics - and it's really surprisingly good (and even better when equipped with a better cartridge... A-T still has nice ones for T4P mounting). I've recommended one to a friend of mine in the late 80s, and it had no problem to completely trample his equally expensive Sony cdp at that time. But maybe you can do even better and find something like a used SL-M1 for a good price, which competes nicely with good Thorens tables...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back