Turntable Fever Breaks: I Bought my Thorens!
Aug 28, 2003 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm so relieved. It's been almost an obsession trying to get my new turntable... Now at least a month or more of searching, searching...

In the end, I bought the Thorens TD-125 MK with the Clearaudio Aurum Beta S. The guy who selling it is really nice. He has the original box, lubrication oil from Thorens and an extra belt he never used. He's also throwing in extra headshells and cartridges he no longer uses as well as delivering it so it doen't get screwed up in shipping! Pretty cool! And he was the original owner of the table, he just doesn't do vinyl anymore. I'm very happy. Thanks Arnold! (Just in case he lurks around head-fi).

Thanks everyone for your recommendations!

BTW, here are two interesting sites that also help with my decison.

http://www.high-endaudio.com/rec.html (A website by an ex-audio dealer named Arthur Salvatore. Fun reading and, boy, does he have is opinions! But I totally respect them - especially as he loves my Spicas as much as I do!).

http://www.stefanopasini.it/My%20Turntables-Main.htm (These are the webpages of an Italian doctor named Stefano Pasini. He just love great toys! Located in the midst of it all is an amazing history of the thorens TD series turntables. This is what really sold me. (you have to download it as a pdf) the link is erroneously labelled link: "MY IDEAS ABOUT THE THORENS 124/125 AND SOME USEFUL SERVICE/UPGRADE/TWEAKING TIPS (*.pdf) "

And, of course, yummy:

http://www.stefanopasini.it/Thorens%20TD-125-Grace.htm

Aug 28, 2003 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 10
Hm, I just discovered the "Certifiable Inane" thread maybe this belongs there...

But I put links to some audio site... really...I mean, I don't think it's innane. Well, maybe a little.... Oh, jeez, now I'm paranoid.

Aug 28, 2003 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 10
Welcome to Team Thorens!!
biggrin.gif
See my .sig below for a great website with a lot of Thorens related info and tweaks (click on "Turntable Team Thorens").

P.S. you're in the right forum, this is definitely a source-related topic.

Aug 28, 2003 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 10
ChadBang,

Congrats on the new turntable score! Wow, that is one classy looking unit there. No wonder you waited and scoured the planet to get one. I guess all that's left is to hear your impressions of it once it arrives at your place.

Aug 29, 2003 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
Which table to you have, Fewtch?
smily_headphones1.gif

Check my profile... but anyway, TD-160 MkI with the original TP-16 tonearm (one of these days I'll probably upgrade the arm if I can get the money together), and an Audio-Technica 440ML cartridge.

Aug 29, 2003 at 10:44 AM Post #8 of 10
chadbang: Congrats on your new vinyl setup! And I guess, it's time for me to revive my TD280MkII and finally replace the original Stanton with the AT120E for my ears sake...
biggrin.gif
I just haven't got that much space in my place and I'm still pondering the purchase of a Clearaudio Emotion or a Technics SL1210M5GE... Collectitis... *sigh*
wink.gif

And btw, the arm in your "yummy picture" is a Grace 707 - I've had the same arm in combo with a Yamaha mc cartridge (MC-505, iirc...) on my old TD160Super (sold to a friend years ago - but it's still in use there...).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Aug 31, 2003 at 3:16 PM Post #9 of 10
Hey, thanks all for your support. I can't wait to hear it. I'm not going to risk having it shipped to Thailand, so I'll just have to wait until I get home in a few months. Yep, Joelongwond, that's one reason I went Thorens -- 30 years and still ticking. A Rega 3 might better it sonically in some ways, but I'm just tired of that "wood blcok and arm look". After my cheesy, Pro-ject Debut I wanted something that feels BUILT.

I bet the TD-125 will sound fine too. I hear it "errs on the polite side" which is fine by me. Also the cartridge is supposed to be excellent with bass and also possesses a very refined treble. I want SMOOTH and I think this combo will give it.

I've been exhanging emails with the seller and now I know why he's moving out of vinyl. He recently bought a Cary CD-303 CD (tube output) and feels, although it's not 100 analogue soudning, it's pretty darn close and awful nice. Should be at $3,000 plus.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #10 of 10
Congrats, Chadbang. I've had a stock TD 125 Mark II for about about 30 years now........still spins those platters. And the thing is pleasing to the eye as well, but it is a tad heavy. Enjoy.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back