Turntable advice needed, please!
Oct 17, 2022 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

skhan007

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

I currently own my dad's late 70's Sanyo TP 1005 turntable. I've replaced the cartridge and that is going well, however it plays albums slow. Definitely pitched down. Upon reading up, the belt has likely stretched (no surprise after 40 years!). I ordered a new belt and hope to install it this week.

Questions for Head-Fi:

1) Is my current turntable worthy of upgrading further, such as higher-end cartridges (versus the basic $24 one I installed), tone arm, etc.? This is assuming the new belt fixes my slow speed issue.

2) If it's recommended to consider a new/newer turntable, what is recommended in the $500-ish range? I've seen on-line recommendations for U-Turn and Fluance, but curious what else is recommended?

If it helps, I'm currently running the current turntable into the phono-in of my late 80's Technics receiver to use it as a phono stage. The line level out goes to my Linear Tube Audio MZ3 tube amp, into ZMF headphones.

Oct 18, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #2 of 4
Sorry to say that Sanyo was never recognized as a quality hi-fidelity equipment manufacturer.

So yes, a new turntable would probably be a better idea. However, the $500 is going to be close. One thing that has as much effect on sound quality, besides the turntable and cartridge, is the phono preamp. IMHO, a Hagerman Bugle is probably the best for buck, quality phono preamp. You can, of course, invest much more from there - but it's a good start. Here's a link for all of their phono preamps:
https://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/collections/phono-preamps

Old receivers definitely had pretty good phono preamps, but a lot is lost in the source-switching features of an old receiver and/or preamp. There is a lot of circuitry in receiver/preamp source switching to even out the impedances and to cut-down on bleed-through from various plugged-in source components. These switching circuits have a "fogging" effect on the purity of the signal, especially when listening to headphones where you can easily hear the loss of detail. Also, every phono preamp makes extensive use of capacitors to equalize the RMAA curve of an LP. Older electronic equipment is more susceptible to those capacitors drying out and losing their capability.

Turntable Lab has a great selection of turntables and you might start at their "Under $300" range. A good Audio-Technica is probably the cheapest, best quality turntable you could get at those prices. Even with the built-in phono preamp, one of those might give you a better listening experience than what you have now. JMHO ...
https://www.turntablelab.com/collec...a-at-lpw30tk-manual-belt-drive-turntable-teak

In the mid-range pricing, Music Hall, Pro-Ject, and Rega all have good reputations. You'll get some bad comments about each of those, but I really think it's a Ford-vs-Chevrolet thing.

For cartridges, the stylus is about 90% of the quality you're buying. The actual cartridge body and internals is only about 10%. Look for a Shibata or Fine-Line type stylus. Those are the finest available. There is a Japanese outfit called JICO that sells the very best. LPGear has been in business for a very long time and I've had great success in purchasing their styli and cartridges. They have JICO and their own house-brand and I can't tell the difference. Both are very, very good.

P.S. It's risky with used equipment, but my own personal choice in turntables are the old Technics linear-trackers - the SL10 and SL7. They require the old P-mount cartridges, though, and it makes it harder to find replacements. Again, LPGear can help with that. I have a Hagerman Bugle and Pete Millet's capacitor-less LR phono preamps that I built and use with those turntables.

All that said, it's an interesting and nostalgic diversion only. No turntable/cartridge/stylus/phono preamp can compare with a great DAC.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 4
Sorry to say that Sanyo was never recognized as a quality hi-fidelity equipment manufacturer.

So yes, a new turntable would probably be a better idea. However, the $500 is going to be close. One thing that has as much effect on sound quality, besides the turntable and cartridge, is the phono preamp. IMHO, a Hagerman Bugle is probably the best for buck, quality phono preamp. You can, of course, invest much more from there - but it's a good start. Here's a link for all of their phono preamps:
https://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/collections/phono-preamps

Old receivers definitely had pretty good phono preamps, but a lot is lost in the source-switching features of an old receiver and/or preamp. There is a lot of circuitry in receiver/preamp source switching to even out the impedances and to cut-down on bleed-through from various plugged-in source components. These switching circuits have a "fogging" effect on the purity of the signal, especially when listening to headphones where you can easily hear the loss of detail. Also, every phono preamp makes extensive use of capacitors to equalize the RMAA curve of an LP. Older electronic equipment is more susceptible to those capacitors drying out and losing their capability.

Turntable Lab has a great selection of turntables and you might start at their "Under $300" range. A good Audio-Technica is probably the cheapest, best quality turntable you could get at those prices. Even with the built-in phono preamp, one of those might give you a better listening experience than what you have now. JMHO ...
https://www.turntablelab.com/collec...a-at-lpw30tk-manual-belt-drive-turntable-teak

In the mid-range pricing, Music Hall, Pro-Ject, and Rega all have good reputations. You'll get some bad comments about each of those, but I really think it's a Ford-vs-Chevrolet thing.

For cartridges, the stylus is about 90% of the quality you're buying. The actual cartridge body and internals is only about 10%. Look for a Shibata or Fine-Line type stylus. Those are the finest available. There is a Japanese outfit called JICO that sells the very best. LPGear has been in business for a very long time and I've had great success in purchasing their styli and cartridges. They have JICO and their own house-brand and I can't tell the difference. Both are very, very good.

P.S. It's risky with used equipment, but my own personal choice in turntables are the old Technics linear-trackers - the SL10 and SL7. They require the old P-mount cartridges, though, and it makes it harder to find replacements. Again, LPGear can help with that. I have a Hagerman Bugle and Pete Millet's capacitor-less LR phono preamps that I built and use with those turntables.

All that said, it's an interesting and nostalgic diversion only. No turntable/cartridge/stylus/phono preamp can compare with a great DAC.
Thank you!! This is great info for me to study and research. Agreed that it's unrealistic for me to believe I'll approach the clarity and quality of my lossless audio files through my RME ADI-2 DAC. I have a good album collection and this is mostly about the nostalgic experience of listening to these albums I've had since I was a kid. Your advice is much appreciated!

Oct 18, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 4
If you don't mind used, then this ATH-LP120USB looks to be in great condition, minus the dust cover:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225205729775

Video to clean the dust cover:

Also, you will need this record stabilizer to reduce vibrations and increase the sound quality:

https://www.amazon.com/Fluance-Stab...ive-RW02/dp/B09M8GMK5B/ref=asc_df_B09M8GMK5B/

Lastly, a vinyl-record-and-turntable cleaning kit with how-to-videos as you scroll down the product page:

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Cle...r/dp/B091ZFDPDS/ref=psdc_173243_t1_B07X7SBCRZ

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back