Turandot: An Opera Noob Review
Jan 21, 2010 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

erikzen

06 National Meet Co-Coordinator
100% THD and S/N = 0
Last night I had the pleasure of attending my first opera. The Metropolitan Opera House in New York sells their upper balcony seats for weeknight performances for $20 (plus fees and taxes so actually $30
frown.gif
). Never having gone to the opera but always wanting to see one, I finally took the plunge and bought a couple of tickets to Turando by Giacomo Puccini.

For those who aren't familar with the story, it's about a Chinese "ice princess" Turandot, who is highly sought after by many suitors but will only marry a prince who can answer three riddles. If he answers correctly he wins Turandot's hand in marriage and inherits the throne from the emperor of China. However, if he does not answer the three questions correctly he will be beheaded.

The show opens with the Prince of Persia being beheaded, while Calaf, the Prince of Tartary, comes to the palace to try and win Turandot's hand by answering the riddles.

This performance featured Maria Guleghina as Turandot, Maija Kovalevska as Liu, who is Timur, the King of Tartary's servant girl (and secretly in love with his son Calaf), Salvatore Licritra as Calaf, and Hao Jiang Tian as Timur. The performance was held at the Metropolitan Opera House, Lincoln Center, New York, NY. The conductor was Andris Nelsons. The orchestra was quite large and included a wide variety of instruments.

As the title suggests I know next to nothing about opera so it is difficult for me to be too critical. My first impression was that it was fabulous. This applies to both the individual performance and the art form itself. Granted, since this was the first opera I ever attended I have nothing to compare it to, but I imagine that the same level of detail goes into most performances at the Met. Everything about it was impressive.

I particularly liked Liu’s part toward the end of the first act, where she pleads with Calaf not to attempt the riddles. Calaf’s singing performance was excellent (as much as I can be a judge of such things) but I found his movements to be somewhat stiff. I can’t imagine how difficult it is to sing opera so his lack of movement onstage may have been due to technical vocal requirements. edit: a colleague who is a huge opera buff says that Licritra is always stiff. It's just the way he carries himself. He has a voice like Pavarotti but not the stage presence.

I found the characters of Ping (Joshua Hopkins), Pang (Tony Stevenson) and Pong (Eduardo Valdes) to be particularly engaging. All three had strong performances and the scene at the beginning of Act II, when they are pining for their homeland, was very enjoyable, with very accessible music. Actually, I found all of the music to be particularly enchanting, but I am partial to a “world music” sound and liked how Puccini was able to incorporate Chinese themes.

There was a definite audible gasp from my fellow audience members and me, when the curtain came up on the set of the Imperial Palace in the second act. Here we got our first look at the lovely Turandot and the most stunning of the gorgeous sets. Ms. Gulghina had a magnetic stage presence and seemed perfect for the role.

The highlight of the performance was definitely the Nessum dorma aria, beautifully delivered by Mr. Licritra. This was the only piece of music from Turandot that I had previously heard before so that may have had something to do with my appreciation of the performance, but his voice was clear, strong, confident and full of feeling. I did find the story a bit confusing though. I wasn’t quite sure what the big secret was about Calaf’s name. Just say it already so we can get some sleep!

The whole experience, the sets, the costumes, the orchestra, the performers, was all so enjoyable and so impeccably produced. Sure there’s a certain amount of novelty to the experience but I would definitely like to see many more opera performances.

If you live in or around New York City and you haven't been to the opera I strongly recommend going. If I were to go again I think I would spend a little more money and try to get a little closer. The seats were literally in God's Country. I could have repainted the ceiling while I was up there and the Met is no small place.

I also want to get a recording of Turandot. Can anyone recommend something? Is the Pavarotti recording conducted by Mehta the definitive one? I can't see how you could go wrong with that gang.

Jan 21, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 21
Great review. I've been going to the DC National Opera for the last 3 years. I buy a subscription so go to every show. It's $45 a ticket in the nose bleed seats. I've been on the floor twice, but I prefer the balcony because you can see the orchestra as well as the stage.

Jan 21, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 21
The Pavarotti/Mehta recording is good. It seems that it is the version that nearly everyone owns. Everyone seems to know this particular version of Nessum Dorma.

However, I prefer THIS VERSION. Get this SACD before it goes OOP and the prices sky rocket.

Jan 21, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 21
If you want to overdose on Nessun Dorma,
Puccini's Greatest Hit: The Ultimate Nessun Dorma

61BZFfC9NOL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I found it at a thrift store for $2. I could do without the Michael Bolton version.

A great way to get the majority of Puccini's operas is
Puccini - The Great Opera Collection

61QApSE4mZL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

While none of the versions in the box are definitive versions, for the most part, they're very good. The only ones that didn't grab me was La Fanciulla del West and Manon Lescaut. I don't believe the Manon is in print in another version and this version of Fanciulla is the only one I've heard, so it may be the opera and not the version.

Edit: The one disadvantage of the boxed set is no librettos.

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been on the floor twice, but I prefer the balcony because you can see the orchestra as well as the stage.

I enjoyed watching the orchestra almost as much as the opera itself. However I could get a little closer and still see the orchestra. I was in the 5th balcony (Family Circle).

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 21
I went to a Met performance of Turandot, and while impressed with the performance, I've never much cared for this particular opera. It is so ripe with cliche (and that's saying something, since all operas are at their core pretty silly stories), and the ending feels like modern hollywood.

It has some amazing music, however! I often listen to Turandot on CD - without English subtitles playing in front of me, it is easy to ignore the chick-flick nature of this opera

The Met's orchestra is truly top-shelf, and almost justifies the cost of the ticket itself

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer THIS VERSION. Get this SACD before it goes OOP and the prices sky rocket.

Seems like it might be out of print already but there are copies available. However, I never got into SACD. I do have a player but I use it as a transport and the unit I have won't output a digital signal from an SACD. CD is a better bet for me. Is this CD the same recording?

Amazon.com: Puccini: Turandot: Giacomo Puccini, Francesco Molinari-Pradelli, Rome Opera Theater Orchestra & Chorus, Birgit Nilsson, Franco Corelli, Bonaldo Giaiotti, Renata Scotto, Angelo Mercuriali: Music

and this

Amazon.com: Puccini: Turandot: Adelio Zagonara, Mario Sereni, Leonardo Monreale, Tommaso Frascati, Giacomo Puccini, Erich Leinsdorf, Rome Opera Orchestra, Birgit Nilsson, Giorgio Tozzi, Myriam Funari, Nelly Pucci, Renata Tebaldi, Alessio de Paolis, J

Are there any good live recordings? I believe the above are studio albums.

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I enjoyed watching the orchestra almost as much as the opera itself. However I could get a little closer and still see the orchestra. I was in the 5th balcony (Family Circle).

Nosebleed seats at the Kennedy Center are only the 3rd balcony. A lot of people around me take opera glasses, but I don't really need them. The aisles on the 3rd balcony are pretty steep. I can't imagine how steep they must be on the 5th. So far, I've seen one opera, La Traviata, where they had a balcony on the stage. I could only see people in the balcony from the knees down. Fortunately, they were all supernumeraries.

I did see Götterdämmerung in concert from the 2nd balcony. It's not worth the extra $40.

There is one thing I wonder about sitting in the balcony. In a couple of the operas, some of the singers were being drowned out by the orchestra. I wonder if it's because of an unobstructed view of the orchestra, or just lack of power in the voices of the singers. Carmen last year was really bad. Neither male lead could really keep up with the orchestra. The toreador was particularly bad

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Pavarotti/Mehta recording is good. It seems that it is the version that nearly everyone owns. Everyone seems to know this particular version of Nessum Dorma.

However, I prefer THIS VERSION. Get this SACD before it goes OOP and the prices sky rocket.

I can say as a big Nilsson fan and a big Sutherland hater that Sutherland's Turnadot is the definitive Turnadot and is more Italian, more humane than Nilsson's icy cold Turnadot. It makes me wonder whether Sutherland might have a better career staying as a dramatic soprano (the fact that a certain bad conductor wasn't conducting her Turnadot helps too). Mehta's Turandot is certainly the definitive Turandot on CD.

You might be interested in getting this DVD though, which is the same Zeffirelli production as the one you watched, but with a different cast:

Amazon.com: Puccini - Turandot / Franco Zeffirelli - Marton, Domingo, Mitchell, Plishka, Cuenod - James Levine, MET (1988): Eva Marton, Plácido Domingo, Leona Mitchell, Paul Plishka, Hugues Cuenod, Brian Schexnayder, Allan Glassman, Anthony Laciura,

And if you like Turnadot I highly recommend checking out La Boheme, which most people will agree is Puccini's best work:

Amazon.com: Giacomo Puccini - La Bohème / Barker, Hobson, Luhrmann (Australian Opera): Cheryl Barker, David Hobson, Roger Lemke, Christine Douglas, Gary Rowley, David Lemke, John Bolton-Wood, Graeme Ewer, Jin Tea Kim, John Fernon, Richard Alexander (

Also Tosca and Madame Butterfly. And while you are at it you might want to check out Verdi's works next.

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #10 of 21
Since you're a noob I'll be very kind. I actually heard bits and pieces of the performance you attended over XM radio and I'll be attending this coming Saturday's matinee performance.

Quote:

There was a definite audible gasp from my fellow audience members and me, when the curtain came up on the set of the Imperial Palace in the second act. Here we got our first look at the lovely Turandot and the most stunning of the gorgeous sets. Ms. Gulghina had a magnetic stage presence and seemed perfect for the role.

Since you were sitting in the Family Circle, you didn't even get to see the top half of the set. It is huge. An earlier performance was broadcast in theaters in HD and will be shown on PBS later this year so you will get to see what you missed.

Maria Guleghina is hardly an ideal Turandot. She tends to shriek really loud instead of trying to actually sing the role. She has been doing this for some time now. It started when she took on Abagaille in Nabucco which was a role that was wrong for her voice. She also made some other bad choices (singing Norma, fo example). It's a shame because she used to have a lovely voice which was very effective in the Russian repertory.

From what I heard of Salvatore Licitra over XM, he sounded a little strained at some points and was really pushing it. He can sing this role but his performances tend to be hit or miss. I'll be interested to hear how he does on Saturday.

Quote:

I did find the story a bit confusing though. I wasn’t quite sure what the big secret was about Calaf’s name. Just say it already so we can get some sleep!

The story isn't that complicated. Calaf guessed Turandot's three riddles in order to win her hand (otherwise he would have had his head chopped off). He makes a deal with her and tells her if she can guess his name, he will forgo his prize, so she issues a decree that no one will sleep until his name is revealed.

Turandot is probably my favorite Puccini opera, but probably not for the reasons that most people enjoy it. I find it to be dark and totally twisted for reasons I'm too tired to get into now. Above all, I don't think it's a love story.

I am glad you enjoyed your experience though and hopefully you'll want to attend other performances. Don't limit yourself to the classics. Pick ones you've never heard of as well. Also, listen to as much as you can, especially older recordings which will help you appreciate the art form more, as well as give you an idea of what is lacking in many of today's singers.

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like it might be out of print already but there are copies available. However, I never got into SACD. I do have a player but I use it as a transport and the unit I have won't output a digital signal from an SACD. CD is a better bet for me. Is this CD the same recording?

It is a hybrid SACD meaning that it can be played in both SACD and regular CD players.

Jan 23, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #12 of 21
An opera noob question:

How do you deal with not knowing the language that the opera is sung and presented in? I could read a translation of the score before watching or attending an opera. I could follow along with a script as I watch but that creates a certain disconnect and distraction from the performance.

I've been reluctant to listen to a full opera on CD or even watch one on DVD or go to a performance in person, primarily due to not knowing the language. I have listened to selections from various operas and the language means I have no idea what is going on. Nessun Dorma sounds very nice but I have no idea what it is about even though I've read the translation before.

There are cases where the language and the words aren't that important. I can listen to Carmina Burana and not care what the words are because the music carries it. I don't see how that can work in opera though. You need to know the story and what is being said or sung.

So what do you do? Other than take a crash course in Italian and several other languages. Maybe if I watched an opera on DVD it would have subtitles?

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #13 of 21
Yes, Opera dvds have subtitles. Best way to watch them other than being there.

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #15 of 21
Cool. My local library has Turandot on DVD. I'll check it out and give this opera thing a try. If I like it and there are live performances that do sub titles of some sort then a live performance could be in the future as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back