tube tester general questions
Mar 18, 2013 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
Do you own a tube tester?
What model?... and why did you chose that one?
How do you go about getting it calibrated? (or is that even necessary?)
Is there a modern, current production tester thats better than the older vintage ones?

Is there an affordable "basic tester"?... something that I can just use to screen tubes for the "basics" (does it amplify?  does it pass a signal?... will it blow up my amp?...etc)

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #2 of 3
I have a UK made Taylor 45C-Made for general commercial use on all valve/tube equipment[except transmitting valves] up to mid-50s. Heavily modded by myself -variable zenner used for neg.G1 voltage/ extra trimmers for adjusting mu/conductance as at high gains it is too sensitive/new bases added  etc.The one to go for is the 45D suitable for modern valves/tubes But watch the 45series burnt out the mains primary-looks okay but "stone dead"
If you are "loaded" then the AVO VCM is for you does everything except sing and dance.Will test transmitting valves/ tubes too.
Orange amplification now sell an automatic tester using leds for display IO-base and-2 B9A bases but it costs about £340 BP. This is just a starter the US made many tube testers but be careful an awful lot of tube testers  ONLY test old radio valves.especially exmilitary/government types. And a lot are rubbish -watch how you spend your money! -Many cases this side of the water of E-bay sellers selling dud testers.Take a while to make up your mind.Best of luck.!

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 3
JMHO, but Hickok tube testers are the "Apple" of tube testers.  Yes, if you can get a good one, they're the best, but you will pay through the nose.  At the same time, there are several Hickoks that aren't nearly as good as other brands.

A friend once recommended the Jackson 648 as a good, all-around, basic tube tester.  Do some reading and research and you'll find it may be the most prevalent of "basics."  Jim Cross at vacuumtubesinc.com is actually famous for developing a complete re-print of the tester manual and selling it as a product:
http://www.vacuumtubesinc.com/Products/BooksPamphlets/TheJacksonModel648Manual.aspx

Any tube tester that's so popular it has a market just for the manual is saying something.

Jackson made another tube tester that is better, but is scarce and more of a collector's item: the Jackson 658.  Still, you can't beat a Jackson 648 for availability and price.  The 648S is generally regarded as the best model of all the 648's.

For later testers, I really like the B&K 747.  It's all solid-state, still measures as a transconductance tester and is readily sold.  There are a few guys actually in business selling spare parts and maintenance/calibration for B&K 747's today.  What's really neat about the 747 is that you can calibrate them in a snap - it's easy as pie.  Their only weakness is an inexplicable dependence on a miniature light bulb in the circuit as a voltage regulator.  However, the bulbs are sold readily on ebay and are quite cheap.

This guy really knows his stuff if you want to read some more:
http://www.tone-lizard.com/Tube_Testers.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back