Tube Puller or ?
Jun 20, 2007 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DarkAngel

DarkAngel's a man, baby!
How do you remove a 12ax7 tube that has very tight clearances and not enough room to grip with thumb and index finger......is there a special tool like a puller for this? Where do you purchase one?

Any other tricks techniques?

Jun 20, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #2 of 5
With the amp off and the tube cool use you finger to rock the tube front to back and side to side. Do this carefully and slowly, before long you will see the connectors at the bass (gap between the tube and the socket). Then use dental floss to loop at the base and gently pull up while you continue to rock the tube.

Jun 20, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the amp off and the tube cool use you finger to rock the tube front to back and side to side. Do this carefully and slowly, before long you will see the connectors at the bass (gap between the tube and the socket). Then use dental floss to loop at the base and gently pull up while you continue to rock the tube.

Not sure if that method will work in my particular situation.......if there is no specific tool available I will probably try taking slip joint pliers and wrapping jaws with rubber tape to gently rock and lift tube. I have seen a picture of vintage tube puller and it looks like special tube shaped hot dog tongs that are rubber coated

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 5
Jun 21, 2007 at 12:21 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about something like this? For $10 on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vacuum-tube-plie...QQcmdZViewItem

Yes that is pix of "vintage" tube puller I was referring to above........like many people on EBAY the shipping cost is outrageous rip off and for that reason alone I refuse to buy.

I was able to remove 12ax7 tube by making my own tube puller from needle nose vice grips with jaws wrapped in soft rubber tape

Users who are viewing this thread

Back