Tube Amps with D7000 - No go?
Oct 6, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #31 of 42
Update: I just got the Argon HA2 hybrid with me home from my local store to try out for a day or so - Its not awefully expensive (about 350$) and oh man...What an improvement, compared to previous amps (even the much more expensive setups) that I've owned, so far I'd say this is a great leap upwards... But lets see in a couple of hours, if I'm still hyped up. If i am, I might just keep it, because it was made by Argon for my local HiFi store-chain to work with their headphones, which is 80% denons and the rest is similar cans, so no wonder if it sings with them :)

Oct 6, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #32 of 42
I would not be afraid to try tubes or the Argon. Have used the Little Dot IV SE for a couple of years on my D7000 fed by a Hegel HD2. Was very happy with it and recently  just did a change to the Meier Jazz to try something new. If the Argon sounds good to you , well that´s what matters.

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #34 of 42
Ok, here is something i though would be a no-brainer...Which it almost is,, but now i thought it would be...David vs. Goliath:
 Goliath is represented by the following setup: Optical input to a Cambridge DacMagic Desktop dac, which then feeds 24bit/192 into a Argon HA2 tube/ss hybrid.
David represented by my portable rig, which was to be sold to afford Goliath: Optical into iBasso DB2, balanced 24bit/192 into iBasso PB2 balanced SS amp. Both setups drove a Denon D7000 though single ended outs (meaning the PB2 has even more to give on the Balanced). And so far, I have been unable to tell which sounds the best...Both has about the same sounstaging, SQ in general, the only difference is the very slightly more "rounded" sound of the Argon's tube. I am absolutely dumbfounded. I knew the PB2 had reputation for Desktop SQ, but i didn'r really believe it...Until i now actually have a desktop setup to compare it to. Any thoughts?

Oct 8, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #35 of 42
Whats important is what your ears is telling you. Does the Argon has its own DAC that somehow you can compare it to the iBasso DB2? I do find that DAC's that allow you to change OpAmps can tailor the sound more. Sound like that the Cambridge DacMagic and the iBasso DB2 have very similar sound quality as far you can tell and both appear to be fine units.

Oct 8, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #36 of 42
The HA2 has a dac, but its far from as good as the DB2 or the DacMagic - Its decent though, but just for a kickoff its 16/96 single chip where the two others are 24/192 dual chip, so not much competition there, the two amp compartments are completely different though, as one is balanced solidstate and the other is a hybrid and not balanced. Both the DacMacig and the DB2 has balanced+singleended outs by the way.

As for what my ears tell me? They tell me that with the current buffer/amp setup in the PB2, it and the Argon sound very similar, bot have lage soundstages and refined sound. The Argon is simply a bit more warm/round...Its hardly noticeable, but in side by side testing and quivk switching between the two it sometimes noticeable. To describe the differences:
Highs:
HA-2 is warmer, slightly fuller sounding than the PB2, which is a bit sharper - its an imensely small difference, but its there...

Mids:
More or less identical

Bass:
The HA2 has a more pronounced and full bass, where the PB2 is again sharper and more precise

I think these probably sum up the normal differences between solidstate and tube amping, from what I've read. I amp hopeless at deciding because the difference is so small its rarely, even on this sidebyside test that i notice it, its so little that sometimes i wonde if its actually there or my brain is messing with me (It has messed with stuff pretty severely before) :p

Edit: Form-factor is sort of worth noticing too...The "desktop" rig is..Well..About 20 times larger than the other i thing - which is also why it baffles me that the difference in sound is so small...

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #38 of 42
Gambitalliin, hay what set is that your talking about... The potable with SS or the desktop with the Hybri (tubes)???
ive got the D7k & im tring to find a good musical sounding set-up. Im lat to the head-fi sean & most of the post concerning the 7ks the amps are out of production. Your post is current... Hala Back looking foward to a good amp.:popcorn:

May 10, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #41 of 42
Update: I just got the Argon HA2 hybrid with me home from my local store to try out for a day or so - Its not awefully expensive (about 350$) and oh man...What an improvement, compared to previous amps (even the much more expensive setups) that I've owned, so far I'd say this is a great leap upwards... But lets see in a couple of hours, if I'm still hyped up. If i am, I might just keep it, because it was made by Argon for my local HiFi store-chain to work with their headphones, which is 80% denons and the rest is similar cans, so no wonder if it sings with them :)

The Head-phone amp in Argon HA-2 is very hot "vinylusj", but It's also an amazing pre-amp for my active speakers - espesially now when my setup is as this: iMac 27" 2014 - USB - Cambridge Audio DacMagic + - RCA (of gold) - ARGON HA-2 - NORDOST RCA - Argon 7460A incl. Argon SUB10"!! This combo plays xtremely better than any of the pre-amp's alone, and the volume you can obtain is nothing less then fantastic! My £249,- speakers play like they cost 3-4 times as much! I'm xtremely happy with the sound I've obtained from cheap products. My friends doesn't believe It's true.

One final tip for everybody who use xpensive Head-set with their lap-top; the Norwegian amazing Brand named HEGEL has launched a tiny Head-set-amp named SUPER. That is an xtraordinary well-Made piece, that turns Your Head-sets to totally much better products (£200.-). So long

May 10, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #42 of 42
I believe many Grado fans use the Mapletree amps (transformer coupled, optimized for low-impedance loads). I haven't heard them myself, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back