Tube amplifiers and solid state, is it worth having both ?
Sep 27, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #16 of 22
Just looked it up and it is switchable between variable and fixed on the 11.28. So you would just use the PE2 volume control. Haven't heard the Project Ember 2 but the Project Ember that I heard was very good so I'm sure the PE2 will be as good or better. no I will still answer your questions but you are still the most indecisive person I've seen on here.
HEHE! I am no longer undecided, I am going to buy HD 598 and Fulla 2 at the end of the year, but only in a while I intend to buy these products mentioned here in the post, but how much better is PE2? I ask this because I want the tube Amp to be better than the solid state, do you believe it to be at least 50% better than an amp / dac in the same price range as the NFB that costs $ 330 ?

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #17 of 22
I've never heard the NFB so don't know how it sounds but looking for 50% difference is unrealistic. Not all tube amps are better than solid state amps and the opposite is also true.

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #18 of 22
I've never heard the NFB so don't know how it sounds but looking for 50% difference is unrealistic. Not all tube amps are better than solid state amps and the opposite is also true.
I already imagined that you could have never heard of NFB, so I mentioned an amp/dac at this price range since you have certainly heard others, I think there is a common sense between products with a similar value, and as for the 50%, well I know there are solid state amps better than the tube ones and vice versa, 50% was just an example of how better the PE2 could be better than the NFB, or not because as I said I want one tube amplifier better than the solid state, however I do want a real tube sound, I know the PE2 is hybrid but I read very good things about it, but do you know any other tube amplifier with a real tube sound that costs up to $ 600, I'm still inclined to buy PE2 before you call me indecisive, but it's always nice to know about new options, just do not mention the crack bottlehead because I could not build it.

Sep 28, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #19 of 22
The questions rather are: For what particular headphones? With what particular sonic preferences/expectations? And within what budget?

The suggested idea of tube preamp and solid state amp is a good one but kind of an overkill for most people in the headphone world.

I think that, as long as you are patient enough to do your homework (and unavoidable trial'n'error procedure), you will eventually come across an amplifier that just sounds natural enough to your ears (be it solid state or tube based). Good start to get there would be to answer the three questions I stated above - those will lead you either towards solid state or towards tubes.

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #20 of 22
I use to be a solid-state guy until I paired a tube buffer for my speakers. Tubes never fails to put a smile on my face and since then I couldn't care less on accuracy. Heck I use speakers that are supposed to be good enough to produce accurate mixes and the sound I get out of them with tubes are more pleasing compared to just pure solid state JFET amplification. Movies with Dolby audio just sounded phenomenal and just send chills down my spine on how immersive it can be on a 2 channel setup.

Same here. Convert from the 90s - once i hear music from a single ended triode amp, i sold my 5-figure Stereophile-approved yadda-yadda solid stage rig and have never looked back.

But a few things to keep in mind - there is no such thing as a "tube" sound. It depends on the architecture. If you use push-pull designs and add in a lot of feedback, you can get a sound that is very similar to that of solid state, both in terms of numbers and sound. The classic tube sound comes from a single ended, zero feedback design, which typically has a lot of second-order distortion. This may measure terribly but it sounds a lot more lifelike (using the sound of unamplified instruments as your reference - violins, piano, etc).

So just because something has a tube stuck on it doesnt mean it is going to provide that rich, full-bodied sound.

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #21 of 22
HEHE! I am no longer undecided, I am going to buy HD 598 and Fulla 2 at the end of the year, but only in a while I intend to buy these products mentioned here in the post, but how much better is PE2? I ask this because I want the tube Amp to be better than the solid state, do you believe it to be at least 50% better than an amp / dac in the same price range as the NFB that costs $ 330 ?
I hope all this arguing isn't about how to drive a pair of HD598, please tell me you're upgrading down the road when you get these new amps :p

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #22 of 22
The questions rather are: For what particular headphones? With what particular sonic preferences/expectations? And within what budget?

The suggested idea of tube preamp and solid state amp is a good one but kind of an overkill for most people in the headphone world.

I think that, as long as you are patient enough to do your homework (and unavoidable trial'n'error procedure), you will eventually come across an amplifier that just sounds natural enough to your ears (be it solid state or tube based). Good start to get there would be to answer the three questions I stated above - those will lead you either towards solid state or towards tubes.
In a future more distant I intend to use the equipment mentioned with HD 650, I want this headphone because in most of the forums that I enter I see people talk more about it, almost all audiophile or have or had or at least already tested the HD600 / 650 and they are eloquent by all, now correlation to utility, well I plan to use it for songs of all genres, more specifically EDM and instrumental.
Same here. Convert from the 90s - once i hear music from a single ended triode amp, i sold my 5-figure Stereophile-approved yadda-yadda solid stage rig and have never looked back.

But a few things to keep in mind - there is no such thing as a "tube" sound. It depends on the architecture. If you use push-pull designs and add in a lot of feedback, you can get a sound that is very similar to that of solid state, both in terms of numbers and sound. The classic tube sound comes from a single ended, zero feedback design, which typically has a lot of second-order distortion. This may measure terribly but it sounds a lot more lifelike (using the sound of unamplified instruments as your reference - violins, piano, etc).

So just because something has a tube stuck on it doesnt mean it is going to provide that rich, full-bodied sound.
Yes I understand, so much is that Schiit Valhalla 2 for example has tubes plus offers a neutral and transparent sound even with the tube exchange, but I chose Project Ember II for being cheap and even being a hybrid I read very good things about it , but I do not know if it can offer that warm, euphonious sound that real tube amps can offer, if you know how to respond or can recommend something at this price range or a little more expensive ... Well, I'm accepting your questions.
I hope all this arguing isn't about how to drive a pair of HD598, please tell me you're upgrading down the road when you get these new amps :p
I know the HD 598 does not need an amplifier, but I plan to buy Schiit Fulla 2 because my fountain is bad and I know it's more than enough to drive it, but all these products I mentioned are for one future with a headphone that actually needs amplification, in this case the HD 650.
:beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back