Tube Amp To Complement my HA-2 MKII SE (ear+, singlepower)?
Dec 25, 2006 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jjhatfield

Frank
I hope you all are having a wonderful Christmas eve!
tongue.gif

I'm looking to make the foray into tube amps, just because I want to know what is all about. Tube rolling looks intimidating as hell, but I love a challenge, and it looks like fun. I absolutely love my Corda HA-2 MKII SE, this amp is a beast that has made every headphone I've plugged into it just sing. I love the clarity and separation, the soundstage, how it just lets the music be what it is. Beautiful! So I'm not looking for a tube amp to replace my Corda, rather, I'm looking for a tube amp that would be a nice compliment to it, i.e. something with a touch of warmth and "earthiness" for lack of a better term. I just want to experience tubes. The two cans I own that have simply blown me out of the water are the HD650 and the HD580. The 650 is still my favorite, but the 580 leaves me dumbfounded on some tracks (maybe because I only paid 125USD for it
icon10.gif
). However, I've got my new pair of SR225's attached to my head, listening to Opeth's "Blackwater Park", and am steadily falling in love with the Grado sound as well. It is inevitable that there is an RS-1 in my future. The type of music I listen to never helps much with recommendations, since I enjoy rock, electronica/synthpop, classical, hip-hop, post-punk, and well, like, almost everything except country-pop and most MTV emo-rock.

The two amps that have grasped my attention are the Mapletree Ear+ HD Purist and this new Singlepower Extreme. I know we haven't heard much about the new SP yet, other then sacd lover's initial comments (and everyone is pushing the hell out of him for "more!! more comparison to other singlepowers!!
wink.gif
) So maybe folks could just make comparisons to other Singlepowers in a similar price range, like the PPX Slam or the MPX stock.

Yes, this is just another "tell me what piece of audio equipment to buy" thread, but I've observed that folks around here get a lot of joy helping each other spend their money. I've made extensive use of the search engine researching Mapletree and Singlepower products, and was just hoping to get more feedback from the Head-Fi community regarding my queries.

Thanks again, enjoy your holidays!

Dec 26, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 14
Bump for the after Christmas crowd! Let me emphasize I don't want my first foray into tubes to be a downgrade. Whatever tube amp I purchase, I want it to be a sidegrade or upgrade; it must approach the HA-2 MKII SE in sonic excellence.
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 26, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 14
Before the SinglePower gang arrives in force, I'll suggest the RSA Raptor. I think it is better than the HA-2 MkII SE when using Grados or ATs and a different, sidegrade flavor when using the HD650, K701 or Beyers.

I'm also intrigued by the SP Extreme and MPX3 variations.

Dec 26, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before the SinglePower gang arrives in force, I'll suggest the RSA Raptor. I think it is better than the HA-2 MkII SE when using Grados or ATs and a different, sidegrade flavor when using the HD650, K701 or Beyers.

I'm also intrigued by the SP Extreme and MPX3 variations.

Cool, the Raptor is one I haven't even considered! I'm checking it out at Ray's page and it looks like a beast. I'll do some more research and see if its one I'd like to consider.

Any further comments/suggestions are welcome.

Dec 26, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 14
I've also heard the Raptor synergizes well with the GS1000's. The Mapletree is supposed to be really good with the RS-1 and kinda dark sounding with the HD6xx series of headphones. It was designed specifically with the HD600 in mind but aparently it's mindblowing with the RS-1's. If you want a bigger soundstages I would go with the Raptor/GS1000/HD6xx series for the true allrounder setup!

Jan 12, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #7 of 14
Subscribing...also looking for a tube amp to compliment the Corda/phones. Looking to purchase the RS-1s as well.

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 14
before you invest big bucks with the big names, make sure you read or even better listen to the Woo Audio 3 and 6. The Woo 3 has the same general character of Corda amps (speed and power) with a hint of tube sweetness (that can be increased rolling tubes) and impressive bass slam. The Woo 6, I haven't heard but is supposed to be able to drive Grados and other low impedance cans better than the Woo 3.

Jan 12, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bet the RSA B-52 would sound nice -- but = $$$$!!!!
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by KShep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Subscribing...also looking for a tube amp to compliment the Corda/phones. Looking to purchase the RS-1s as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
before you invest big bucks with the big names, make sure you read or even better listen to the Woo Audio 3 and 6. The Woo 3 has the same general character of Corda amps (speed and power) with a hint of tube sweetness (that can be increased rolling tubes) and impressive bass slam. The Woo 6, I haven't heard but is supposed to be able to drive Grados and other low impedance cans better than the Woo 3.

Thanks all for the suggestions, but I already made my purchase and have my new amp at home
smily_headphones1.gif
. I went with a Singlepower PPX3 SLAM, purchased used from a Head-Fi'er with a variety of tubes: Ken Rad 6sn7, a few different Hytron 6sn7's, Sylvania 5687's, and some RCA 5687's. I'll post some impressions after a few more days, but to keep it simple I am very pleased with the purchase.

EDIT: Also in brief, after listening to my HD650's with tubes, I'm not as sure that an RS-1 is in my future as I was in my OP. I'm loving this rich, lush soundscape.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #10 of 14
One nice thing about the SinglePower brand is the versatility it offers. No other brand offers the range of sounds and tube rolling options. Another thing to consider, is that the SP amps are of a "OTL" design. This really allows the tubes to speak for themselves, instead of the sound being partly that of the transformer.

Another less tangible aspect is with Singlepower you have a large family of people who can offer you advice and support when you need it.

While SinglePower does have a general house sound, each of their models has it's own distinct voice, that voice can then be tailored to your own needs and desires. I have owned two of their amps myself and find each has been it's own sonic adventure and has provided it's own rewards.

Hope this helps,

- augustwest

Jan 12, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One nice thing about the SinglePower brand is the versatility it offers. No other brand offers the range of sounds and tube rolling options. Another thing to consider, is that the SP amps are of a "OTL" design. This really allows the tubes to speak for themselves, instead of the sound being partly that of the transformer.

Another less tangible aspect is with Singlepower you have a large family of people who can offer you advice and support when you need it.

While SinglePower does have a general house sound, each of their models has it's own distinct voice, that voice can then be tailored to your own needs and desires. I have owned two of their amps myself and find each has been it's own sonic adventure and has provided it's own rewards.

Hope this helps,

- augustwest

Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PPX SLAM is fantasic with the Sen 580/600/650's.

happy listening!

- augustwest

Thanks for the words, augustwest. I did my first tube rolling last night, when I switched out the Sylvania 5687's (which I'd listened to the night previous) with some RCA 5687's. Very cool how both offer their own unique listening experiences. I was actually surprised at how different the two sets of tubes made the amp sound.

As for the Senns, they sound really fantastic with tubes. Honestly, deep down inside I didn't believe that a warm can like the HD650 would sound good with tubes, but now I see that is just not the case. I'm having a lot of my preconceptions about tube amps being shattered the more I listen to the PPX3. Especially last night when I put on Assemblage 23's album "Defiance". The harsh electronic industrial noise of Assemblage 23 is softened and made almost luscious in comparison to how the Corda handled it. The result is a very pleasant effect I've dubbed a "sea of synth", when you are listening to well recorded synth-based music with headphones and you just feel like the sound is all around you, wrapping your head in velvety synthetic goodness, with new instruments popping their heads out of the soft wall of sound like happy fish enjoying leaping around the synthpop sea.

I laid on that description kind of thick, but I think you can get the idea.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #13 of 14
Hey J.J. Congrats on finding "That" specific set of components giving you obviously "Peak" musical experiences. With the comfortable 650s, Stello DAC and now the recent addition of the PPX3 Slam with its tube rolling goodness and difficult to articulate but certain, presentation ;-} I'm excieted for you and your manifestly peak musical experiences with you system! Congrats...

Looking forward to even more poetic verbiage as you feel the need to try to describe and share the difficult task of putting into word "That" sound for both reader and writers elucidation, please ;-}

Thanks for your posts up to this point and do enjoy, as I am sure you are ;-}

P.S....Perhaps PM to follow?

Jan 12, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey J.J. Congrats on finding "That" specific set of components giving you obviously "Peak" musical experiences. With the comfortable 650s, Stello DAC and now the recent addition of the PPX3 Slam with its tube rolling goodness and difficult to articulate but certain, presentation ;-} I'm excieted for you and your manifestly peak musical experiences with you system! Congrats...

Looking forward to even more poetic verbiage as you feel the need to try to describe and share the difficult task of putting into word "That" sound for both reader and writers elucidation, please ;-}

I'm always have a bit of trepidation using such elaborate prose to describe a new piece of audio equipment, as I don't want to give newer or less experienced Head-Fi'ers any illusions about the differences in various pieces of gear. The only instantaneous "oh shxx" moment I've had with this hobby (meaning as soon as the first note hit my ears I knew this was a substantial upgrade) was when I went from my Echo Indigo DJ to the Stello DA100. That was a massive, night and day difference in overall SQ.

This has never happened with amps or even headphones. Any new pair of cans or new amp I've always had to spend a good bit of time with before the sonic differences become apparent. And though these sonic differences begin quite subtly, they become delightfully apparent after many hours of listening across a wide variety of genres. (As a disclaimer, I know this to be the truth today, but some of my earlier posts may have reflected a rather over excited naivity about certain phones, amps, etc. not 100% in line with what I've just claimed
tongue.gif
)

Quote:

Thanks for your posts up to this point and do enjoy, as I am sure you are ;-}

P.S....Perhaps PM to follow?

Sure!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back