Tube amp "speakerphonics"?
Oct 19, 2003 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

aeberbach

Headphoneus Supremus
Just started using the Laurel IIX 300B monoblocks again. I was surprised to find that when the headphones aren't on my head I still hear music. It seems the tubes - seems to be the 300Bs (using TJ mesh plate) are working as speakers, vibrating somehow and working like speakers.

Anyone else had this? Does it indicate an amp problem or a tube problem? Is this why some people use heavy brass sleeves on their tubes?

Oct 19, 2003 at 8:17 AM Post #2 of 11
some cheaper tubes (often of chinese origin) have that nasty tendency to sing along to the music. the main causes are poor internal damping and loose manufacturing tolerances. external dampers be them rings or heatsinks may muffle the noise somewhat, but won't eliminate it completely.

Oct 19, 2003 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 11
Me too i have no problem with Sophia/TJ 300B mesh plate that are brand new. ( I'm using them on a preamp, not an amp).
Man these tubes are soooooo good it's unbelievable, i discovered what REAL 300B can do and nothing can beat that, nothing, period. ( it's all speed, transparency, 3D image,neutrality, details, full harmonics,etc...
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
).

Sorry i'm too much enthusiasm
rolleyes.gif
, are you sure aerberbach that's not coming from some trafos; in my rather long tube life i never heard one 'singing alone'.

Oct 19, 2003 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 11
half of my new production el34s sang back to me, so I'm not terribly surprised if his tubes are doing the same. transformers are certainly also capable of singing, but I'm inclined to believe that an average modern audio output transformer is built better than an average modern vacuum tube.

Oct 19, 2003 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 11
Yeah you could be right - now you mention it I have heard of singing transformers. Fortunately they're not too loud and the amps are far enough away from the chair that I don't hear them.

But is there a fix?

Oct 20, 2003 at 12:27 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by yidimsum
I'm also using some Sophia Electric 300B's in my monoblocks (same as TJ Meshplate but marketed for North America). I haven't noticed the tubes singing along to the music.

hey yidimsum

you didn't go for the Manley?

Oct 20, 2003 at 1:01 AM Post #9 of 11
I was surprised to hear music emanating from my Norh se9. In a previous thread someone had mentioned it is common for a transformer to do this. Is it actually the EL34 tube?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back