Tube amp or SS and importance of DAC
Feb 27, 2012 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

aaronius

New Head-Fier
I've got about $300 to spend and I can't decide if I should go with a nice tube amp like a Schiit Valhalla or LIttle Dot 1+.  Or should I go with something like an Schiit Asgard.  I'm also considering the Fiio E7/E9 combo as well since that setup includes a DAC.  How important is a DAC.  Will I hear a noticeable difference between using a DAC with and amp as I would without using the DAC with the amps I mentioned above?  
It's my understanding from reading other posts here that tube amps tend to "soften" or round out the highs a bit.  To me the sr225i's highs sound great.  I guess another concern of mine is if I get a nice tube amp will I not like the way it changes the sound.  As you can see I'm really torn here.  Any grado fans input and advice is appreciated.  My main concern is the importance of DAC and wether I should go Tube or SS.  

oh, and my source files are on my ipod and pc (320kbps AAC).  

Thanks guys. 

Feb 27, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 4
Do you really need two three threads of basically the same question?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/598083/which-amp-is-best-for-my-new-grado-sr225i-headphones

http://www.head-fi.org/t/597962/feedback-and-tips-on-my-new-sr225i#post_8177716

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
I've got about $300 to spend and I can't decide if I should go with a nice tube amp like a Schiit Valhalla or LIttle Dot 1+.  Or should I go with something like an Schiit Asgard.  I'm also considering the Fiio E7/E9 combo as well since that setup includes a DAC.  How important is a DAC.  Will I hear a noticeable difference between using a DAC with and amp as I would without using the DAC with the amps I mentioned above?  
It's my understanding from reading other posts here that tube amps tend to "soften" or round out the highs a bit.  To me the sr225i's highs sound great.  I guess another concern of mine is if I get a nice tube amp will I not like the way it changes the sound.  As you can see I'm really torn here.  Any Grado fans input and advice is appreciated.  My main concern is the importance of DAC and wether I should go Tube or SS.  
oh, and my source files are on my iPod and PC (320kbps AAC).

Why not just get the Fiio E11 and save a few dollars.
and get a Fiio L cable for the iPod.
If you not yet using an add-on sound card for your PC, get the Asus Xonar DG.
You can plug the E11 into the DG

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 4
Search button my friend?
As for the significance imo,
source>headphones>amp>power source>interconnects in this order.
So that gives you a general idea on the importance of a quality transparent dac.
Remember, start small and scale up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back