Tube Amp Idiot
Dec 11, 2006 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Hoppergrass

500+ Head-Fier
i have an interest in purchasing my first tube amp, probably in the sub $200 range. (maybe a little dot II++ ?) i'm pretty ignorant to tubes and have a couple of questions if there is a kind soul that could give me some help. i've done a bit of reading but still haven't found out how long tubes will last at say: 10 hours a week (as it will be sitting second chair to my heed). also, how are they replaced? i'm assuming i can do it myself. do they screw in or snap in or what. i want to start off small and was looking a at little dot model. any other suggestions for <$200 USD? thanks in advance.

sg

Dec 11, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #2 of 9
At least some of your questions will be answered in the Tube FAQ. I don't know about too many other options in that price range but the Xiang Sheng 708B is one, I own one of these myself. Not sure how it compares to the other options but it's a nice sounding amp.

Dec 11, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #3 of 9
Most tubes are rated for approx 5000 hours. However some of the military spec ones will last longer. The tubes plug in much like you plug a power cord to the wall and can be easily swapped in and out by the user.

Dec 11, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #4 of 9
2000 to 5000 hours is about right for the life of a tube.

The Xian Sheng 708B is a bargain for $200.

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:24 PM Post #7 of 9
the lunchbox prolly wouldn't serve you well.. it was made for high imp cans... although there were reports sayin that it does work with low-imp headphones just as well.. i wouldn't know the long term implications of that tho...

Dec 11, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At least some of your questions will be answered in the Tube FAQ. I don't know about too many other options in that price range but the Xiang Sheng 708B is one, I own one of these myself. Not sure how it compares to the other options but it's a nice sounding amp.

Thanks for the link. Very nice primer on tube basics
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back