tube amp for Senn580's < $500
Jun 29, 2007 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

golgi

500+ Head-Fier
I have the little dot 2+ amp and have been happy with it's synergy with my Senn 580's for about a year now. However, I'm getting curious about better amps and starting to consider an upgrade. Especially now that the LD MKIII is out and making good impressions. However, I don't want to limit myself to just the little dot offerings.

I'm wanting to get ideas of what my best options would be for an amp upgrade if I wanted to spend $500 max?

The LD2+ has served its purpose well as a great intro to tube headphone amps. But now I want to move up the line. So far, I'm considering the Little Dot MK lineup, Bada ph12, darkvoice offerings. Anyone had a chance to compare any of these? I know these are all in very different price categories but just wondering how they compare.

Jun 29, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 26
WooAudio 3, but if you can scrape together a little more, I would recommend going for the WA6 at $570.

My budget was the same as yours when I went to the National Head-Fi meet this year. I listened to just about everything I could when I was there, and felt that the WA6 offered the best bang for the buck, especially when paired with Senns.

If you can't scrape together the extra dough, you will still be very happy with the WA3 as it will be a nice upgrade over your current amp.

Jun 29, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WooAudio 3, but if you can scrape together a little more, I would recommend going for the WA6 at $570.

My budget was the same as yours when I went to the National Head-Fi meet this year. I listened to just about everything I could when I was there, and felt that the WA6 offered the best bang for the buck, especially when paired with Senns.

If you can't scrape together the extra dough, you will still be very happy with the WA3 as it will be a nice upgrade over your current amp.

I second this motion!

Jun 29, 2007 at 10:02 AM Post #6 of 26
For a cheaper alternative, the Lunchbox amp seems to mate quite well, too.

I've only listened for about 7-8 hours, just got (another, sold one years ago) 580 recently. But I was amazed at what came out of them from that little amp!

Jun 29, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #7 of 26
Any of these are great with the Senns - and possibly the best available in your price range.

In your price range, I would say the XCAN v3 is the most versatile - will drive both high and low impedence phones well. But, you really need to add the XPSU, and possibly the X10D tube buffer, and the "Pinkfloyd" mods to achieve its best - although the amp alone is great with Senns.

The WA3 and WA3+ are also really great with Senns - perhaps a bit better than the XCAN v3. But the WA is not the best with low impedence phones. While the WA3+ is reportedly a bit better than the WA3 with both Senns and low impedence phones.

The WA6 reportedly is great with both Senns and low impedence phones - and may be a bit better than the rest of this group.

If for both Senns and low impedence phones, I'd probably rank them:

1. WA6
2. XCAN v3
3. WA3+ (unless I could verify it's great with low impedence phones - then its 2.)
4. WA3

If for just Senns and within your budget:

1. WA3+
2. WA3
3. XCAN v3

But, in any instance you're really only talking about a 5%+ difference in SQ at most - so, it doesn't make much difference. Although, I would say the WA's seem to have just a bit more "tube-like" sound vs SS sound.

For Senns you really can't go wrong with any of these - and you will be very pleased!

Jun 30, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #9 of 26
The ASL MG Head MKIII in OTL mode works musical magic with the Senns.
Not the last word in detail, but just sounds right.

Jun 30, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If for just Senns:

1. WA3+
2. WA3
3. XCAN v3

But, in any instance you're really only talking about a 5%+ difference in SQ at most - so, it doesn't make much difference. Although, I would say the WA's seem to have just a bit more "tube-like" sound vs SS sound.

Ok; lets see if I got this right.

Talking about just the HD580/600, would it be safe to say that the WA3/WA3+ may produce the better SQ, perhaps due to the lack of the transformers in the output that may impart their own limits on the output clarity of the WA6?

I notice that the specs state that to be the case, but is the WA3/+ even the slightest bit better in "listenable" SQ than WA6?

Jul 1, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any of these are great with the Senns - and possibly the best available in your price range.

In your price range, I would say the XCAN v3 is the most versatile - will drive both high and low impedence phones well. But, you really need to add the XPSU, and possibly the X10D tube buffer, and the "Pinkfloyd" mods to achieve its best - although the amp alone is great with Senns.

The WA3 and WA3+ are also really great with Senns - perhaps a bit better than the XCAN v3. But the WA is not the best with low impedence phones. While the WA3+ is reportedly a bit better than the WA3 with both Senns and low impedence phones.

The WA6 reportedly is great with both Senns and low impedence phones - and may be a bit better than the rest of this group.

If for both Senns and low impedence phones, I'd probably rank them:

1. WA6
2. XCAN v3
3. WA3+ (unless I could verify it's great with low impedence phones - then its 2.)
4. WA3

If for just Senns and within your budget:

1. WA3+
2. WA3
3. XCAN v3

For Senns you really can't go wrong with any of these - and you will be very pleased!

I will add the X-Can V2. It can be had for well under $200 and it responds great to the PinkFloyd Mods. It is a very involving amp and will have your foot tapping.

Jul 1, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #12 of 26
Great suggestions, everyone! I'll check into all the possibilities you've mentioned.

Jul 1, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #13 of 26
"To OTL or not to OTL; that is the question....."
very_evil_smiley.gif

EDIT: Perhaps if I just used it with HD600 it wouldn't be such a question. But darn....I'll bet I'd want to slap my MS2i in there too!
frown.gif

Jul 1, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #14 of 26
EDIT: Never mind. Cancel the new questions.(No; OTL is still a good question! I meant the ones in this post that I edited out!) The search key and Googling is far more fun, and gives better understanding in the long run!

Jul 1, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #15 of 26
Of all the headphones I've tried it with I think the Darkvoice 336i sounds best with the HD650. The HD580 might not make as nice a match; I never had a chance to pair them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back