Tube amp for 225i (keep it simple)
Mar 14, 2010 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

markkr

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm really interested to see what the fuss is all about... but am severely bored by all the details of "tube rolling", etc...

I tried to read the newbie faq on tubes... again... boring... Can someone just recommend a complete setup (for example Little Dot I+ with the following tubes...) I understand that its unique to everyone's taste but what is really good middle ground for a beginner that really does NOT want all the details.

Headphones are Grado 225i
Source is either iPod LOD or Yamaha CD player
99% of my music is rock, hard rock.
budget is under $350

Thanks for your help.

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #2 of 16
Little Dot 1+ and the 5684 family of tubes. Get some new old stock GE 5684s and plug 'em in. Won't even need to open the case. Try it out with the 6J1s that come with it--you might find that you like the sound just fine.

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 16
The Little Dot amps are the ones that arent available right now... correct? and you can only order them on ebay?

Thanks

Mar 14, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 16
You can order directly through little dot, as i think they are trying to clear the back orders that were placed during their holiday period. I ordered 2 days ago for the Little Dot 1+ Hybrid, he mentioned to allow for 4 - 5 business days for the amp to be built and tested, and another 6 - 9 for delivery to NZ i think it was.

Upgraded to the EF92 family for 20$US not sure if it was the right decision but will see! , 225is will finally be humming.

Mar 15, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 16
You might want to check out some reviews for the MP-301, or the EF2/EF1. I read Skylabs review of the MP-301 and bought it right away. I'll get it tomorrow and finding tubes for it was no problem at all. Being its TC, and the EF1/2 hybrids, either one should go great with the 225s.

Mar 15, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #7 of 16
I haven't looked into the MP-301... reading about it now. Thanks.

Mar 15, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by markkr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

........I understand that its unique to everyone's taste but what is really good middle ground for a beginner that really does NOT want all the details.

You could try the Musical Fidelity V can headphone amp and it is very simple. No tubes to look at and it's solid state which goes well with the lower impedance Grados and it has recieved good reviews. I think this headphone amp was designed to be very simple for people who just want a good amp without any extra details and stuff. Simple.

MUSICDIRECT - MUSICAL FIDELITY - V-CAN HEADPHONE AMP

Mar 15, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by markkr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really interested to see what the fuss is all about... but am severely bored by all the details of "tube rolling", etc...

I understand that the LD I+ is good with low-impedance 'phones, but most entry-level tube amps are really more for high-impedance. I love tubes + Grados, but I do think the source matters more for Grados than the amp does...I'm satisfied with a Fiio E5 for my SR225s, as long as the DAC's OK.

Mar 15, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #11 of 16
Ok, so I think I'm going with the Little Dot I+... my question is about the available tube upgrades. Do I upgrade? This amp will be used 100% with Grado's. The options are as follows (either price is fine, I just want the right one)

Tube Upgrades:

* Upgrade to EF92: 20 USD
* Upgrade to WE408A: 50 USD

Thanks.

PS: how does the Little Dot DAC_II / Headphone amplifier compare to the I+ (other than being solid state) will it sound similar? I need an inexpensive DAC as well for my work rig.

Mar 15, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #12 of 16
Like i mentioned earlier, i chose the E92, because i figured it was an upgrade from standard, and i have a further upgrade option if i want to try tube rolling. Anyone know if when you order the Little Dot, when you select upgrades, do they replace the original or do you gain both sets?

FYI, Using Musiland US 02 as the DAC, and once the Little Dot arrives, will have the output from 02 into then amp -> 225i !, hoping that will be a good combo
L3000.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Ok, so I think I'm going with the Little Dot I+... my question is about the available tube upgrades. Do I upgrade?

If you decide to upgrade, don't bother getting the WE408A from little dot, you can get it off ebay for much cheaper.

Mar 16, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you get extremely lucky you may be able to find an used Mapletree Ear + Purist HD w/ the 12B4A power tubes and a GE grey plate 5751 as the driver.

mad.gif
You beat me to it!

Great suggestion, though it might stretch your budget....but it will follow you up the upgrade Grado path to the RS1 with no further need to upgrade later.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back